Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Which place were the tennis courts closed? UL or St Endas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I always rated them, anyway.

Limerick_Dude might back me up on that, if he sees this thread.

I'll back you up on it. Far better pizzas to what was on offer next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Luigi Malones windows are now completely whitewashed so it's pretty much a goner.

Sequoia Lane on O'Connell St (Nestors) is closed

Nightingale and Rose, a boutique on Shannon Street is closing

And I've also heard rumours of a well known ladies shop on O'Connell Street closing it's doors in the next few weeks.

There'll be nothing left in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

A blind manufacturer in Limerick has gone into liquidation. Not going to say which one until it's confirmed. Heard from 3 different sources. We are a competitor but still hate to see people losing jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in Luigi Malones at 7am this morning with the liquidator. Its really creepy in there knowing that its about to be sold for parts basically. :(

That and the Lobster Pot. I did business with the family previously whom are such nice folk. Besides that It was an institution.

People may not know this but out the back of the Lobster Pot beyond the toilets is a freakin massive warehouse. There was and is soo much potential for that property or at least there would have been when there was money to be throwing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

seachto7 wrote: »
    I remember cycling into town and leaving the bike down in the garage by Bedford Row. It cost 20p to leave the bike there...

Ah, thanks for re-igniting a memory... I'd forgotten that, used to leave my bike in the Bedford Garage :)

Du pareil au meme closed in the crescent yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

one of the Asian shops in Wickham St is closing, or closed already, forgot what day they said, they're moving somewhere up the country they told me. It was the one beside the phone repair place
    Berty wrote: »
    That and the Lobster Pot
    was actually heart broken, me and the lads went in every week at one stage, I know it was just a small place like and I expected it but so many memories

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Du pareil au meme closed in the crescent yesterday!

Looks like they are only doing a bit of remodelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Pretty much every place around the Punch's cross junction (except for the hotel) has shut down in the past few years. There used to be a Texaco station, 4 star Pizza, William Hill and a Honda dealership if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

branie wrote: »
    With HMV planning to close stores in the UK and Ireland, the store on Cruise's street could go
    Which reminds me, the Early Learning Centre that was there (beside River Island) went under. It's a shame a place in a prime location like that is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

PJTierney wrote: »
    Pretty much every place around the Punch's cross junction (except for the hotel) has shut down in the past few years. There used to be a Texaco station, 4 star Pizza, William Hill and a Honda dealership if I remember correctly.

Honda and 4star moved to better locations, 4star is in Alandale now and Honda are currently in the old Fiat motorzone building on Dock Road. Esso is gone as is the Texaco garage that was further down the road and the hotel is going.

Mc Love wrote: »

I don't think so. There was a sign on the window that said they wanted to thank everyone for their custom over the past three years and gave a list of locations where giftcards could be used.
    Which reminds me, the Early Learning Centre that was there (beside River Island) went under. It's a shame a place in a prime location like that is empty.

ELC is now in Mothercare at the top of the street.
    Benetton has now taken over the old ELC unit on Cruises street

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭lmkman

Heiton Buckleys on the Dock road is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

lmkman wrote: »
    Heiton Buckleys on the Dock road is closing.

Thats a surprise - when ?

and what is the source for the info?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Eight-jobs-lost-in-the.6702601.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭lmkman

Was on the leader website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

We are just lucky that there is a general election around the corner. The city would literally shut down if FF were in control much longer. I predicted this decline as far back as 5 years ago.
    It was obvious to me then that we were getting no IDA jobs, these are the drivers of any region. But over the last 5 years, even I am shocked at how negligent this government has been towards this region. I just feel so sorry for those unemployed and the small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I see a "Cash 4 Gold" place opened on O'Connell avenue among all the Georgian buildings that used to have the estate agents/solicitor offices that now have to let/for sale signs on them. Another sign of the times.
    They didn't close, they moved office, but I have noticed a few Estate Agents shutting their doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Until the banks are sorted and loaning money to start-up and existing businesses there will be no recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd say shops cant wait to get into the Crescent (and other shopping centres) what with the relocation of mothercare, they have been in Cruises st for ages...is there any hope for the city at all?

• Advertisement

I'd say shops cant wait to get into the Crescent (and other shopping centres) what with the relocation of mothercare, they have been in Cruises st for ages...is there any hope for the city at all?

Places in the crescent are doing great either. Nowhere in Limerick will until we get jobs where people spend money. There is no crisis in Galway or Cork - they got the jobs. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I wouldn't say it is quite as simple as that liammur, though you are right about IDA jobs making a big difference.

The banks are refusing to back anyone looking for money to start up a new business. Until that changes, the country is screwed.

RonMexico wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it is quite as simple as that liammur, though you are right about IDA jobs making a big difference.

The banks are refusing to back anyone looking for money to start up a new business. Until that changes, the country is screwed.

Most businesses locally are in trouble, so from the banks' point of view, it's a case of throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Thats gone a few years at this stage isnt it??

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭manna452121

They moved up to Mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

No they're gone. Didn't even last the length of the first leg of their lease. There are too many kids clothes shops in the Crescent now at the moment, something had to give. Impossible for the smaller stores to compete with Zara, Next, H&M, Mothercare, Pennys and Heatons.
    Not at the rent the Crescent owners are looking for. Since Mothercare relocated the Crescent have re-adopted their famous ruthless attitude and are currently actively looking for rent increases from struggling tenants. They think the recession doesn't apply to the Crescent. There will be loads of closures in the Crescent over the next six months.

We're going to end up with a country dominated in retail by British/European multi chain stores, in many cases offering sub standard product with all the profits exiting the country. It's up to the Irish people now to support their own and shop independent. If you choose not to, don't complain when Irish business after Irish business closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

diol07 wrote: »
    We're going to end up with a country dominated in retail by British/European multi chain stores, in many cases offering sub standard product with all the profits exiting the country. It's up to the Irish people now to support their own and shop independent. If you choose not to, don't complain when Irish business after Irish business closes.

Exactly. Ireland needs to find a way to re-establish it's own industries, and Irish people need to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

diol07 wrote: »

where have you been for the last 5 years.
    This has already happened - very few stores in Ireland are Irish owned anymore.

As for "sub standard product" - haven't a clue where your trying to go there. I would argue in many cases it is exactly the same product and people go for convenience and then price (yeah, it's not always cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

saw a few posts mentioning relocation of mothercare to the crescent, has the cruises street one gone all of a sudden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

liammur wrote: »
    We are just lucky that there is a general election around the corner. The city would literally shut down if FF were in control much longer. I predicted this decline as far back as 5 years ago.
    It was obvious to me then that we were getting no IDA jobs, these are the drivers of any region. But over the last 5 years, even I am shocked at how negligent this government has been towards this region. I just feel so sorry for those unemployed and the small businesses.

Spot on. However, the real scandal is that the Willie O'Dea will probably romp home once again in the Limerick City constituency this month despite what you have said above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement