Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Bailey bar closed until further notice, saw sign on door today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Not suprised tbh just a little off the well worn routes. Plus was 10 to 15c more expensive in there for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Pity, it really is a nice pub inside, not much expense spared on the fit-out I'd say.

I'm not sure if the place ever "Clicked" no matter who was running it or what it was called. I remember it being Boxwells, Macs, Mojo before Bailey.

Its strange really because it is fairly central but there doesn't seem to be any decent footfall in the city centre in the last few years. Probably paying extortionate rates to the council as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Wow its a nice pub and was in there a few times and food was k and so was the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ah ****. used to go in there for pint and/or coffee while in town. the barmaid was cracking!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The cocktails were gorgeous, and cheap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

And dont forget cupcake friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

The cocktailsBarmaids were gorgeous, and cheap :(
    fyp

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

phill106 wrote: »
    fyp

Not that way inclined :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I used to frequent it a lot then I noticed after a while how quiet it had gotten, and the nicer faces behind the bar changed. Did it change management at all?
    Cocktails were nice but they changed some barstaff and the cocktails werent as nice anymore. If you want a nice one, the Corn Store and the Glasshouse make the best ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Great place to rent out for a party, that. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Looks like Foodfair on O'Connell Street up by The Bank has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They started off so well but................... the clientele got them in the end. Their basic clientele were 9-5 Mon to Fri and after that they were just coasting with the odd customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭adaminho

The vineyard off license in Mount Kenneth closed last week. Sign in the window saying coming soon new cafe deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That's a shame, as there were some nice folk working there. Passed it at about 14:00 this afternoon and the shutters were down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thats a shame i really liked the Bailey great for a cocktail,relaxing drink or a coffee in the afternoon.plus you could get a coffee late there atfer 6pm

I thought that area of town was the place to be in i.e Temple bar of Limerick

Heard rumours of a professional "charity" organiser taking over the running of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

adaminho wrote: »
    The vineyard off license in Mount Kenneth closed last week. Sign in the window saying coming soon new cafe deli.

I would have thought that off licence did ok?2 cafes have failed there plus its a not a very pleasant area for a cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Christ at this rate it will be easier and quicker to name the shops that are still open in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

It shocks me how quiet Limerick city centre is. Cruises Street and all the pedestrianised areas should be busy yet I never see more than a handful of people walking around. Its hard to get through the crowds of people on Shop Street in Galway anytime, any day of the week. Such a shame because Limerick city centre is much more attractive and is very underated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

The issue with Limerick is that the Crescent is 10 minutes out the road, has everything that's in town and more with free parking and a roof. So generally you'll find that while the city centre will be dead, the crescent will always be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

foinse wrote: »
    The issue with Limerick is that the Crescent is 10 minutes out the road, has everything that's in town and more with free parking and a roof. So generally you'll find that while the city centre will be dead, the crescent will always be busy.

I know, live beside the bloody thing. I might need to go down to Tesco to buy like one thing and the entire complex is wedged with people all the time. Traffic is mental around there too. Its a nightmare. Don't get the fascination with the place. I prefer a stroll in town when I get the chance. Needless to say I'm moving away from the house near the Crescent...

I can see the benefits of a top class shopping centre like the Crescent but did the planners not realise it would completely suck the life and soul out of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Agreed, they just didn't think. Then when the one shop that everyone in Limerick seems to want here tries to get in there, they block it citing traffic issues and the decline of the city. It would seem that they cannot get anything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

BESman wrote: »
    It shocks me how quiet Limerick city centre is. Cruises Street and all the pedestrianised areas should be busy yet I never see more than a handful of people walking around. Its hard to get through the crowds of people on Shop Street in Galway anytime, any day of the week. Such a shame because Limerick city centre is much more attractive and is very underated IMO.

To be fair Galway never has had and probably never will have(economy) a retail park of sorts and certainly not a shopping centre.

The nearest they have come is the Galway Shopping Centre which was built in the 70's.

They only got a retail park 2 years ago when they opened the Woodies/Dunnes retail park in Knocknacarra.

So................

Everybody has to do all their shopping on Shop Street which is an amazing street. Every town and city should have a shop st. Its a mecca for shoppers and tourists alike. Wexford has come slightly close and Dublin has Grafton St(shame its full of Dubs).

Limerick clearly gave up on pedestrians in the city and ALLOWED the Crescent to suck the life out of the city.The Opera Centre was too late and the Parkway Valley is now a Dinosaur Skeleton.

The City is not just dead, the council has buried it and already performed the months mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

The children's clothes shop beside topshop in the Crescent appears to be closing down. Can't think of its name, passed it yesterday and the shelfs were almost empty with closing down sale signs in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    To be fair Galway never has had and probably never will have(economy) a retail park of sorts and certainly not a shopping centre.

The nearest they have come is the Galway Shopping Centre which was built in the 70's.

They only got a retail park 2 years ago when they opened the Woodies/Dunnes retail park in Knocknacarra.

So................

Everybody has to do all their shopping on Shop Street which is an amazing street. Every town and city should have a shop st. Its a mecca for shoppers and tourists alike. Wexford has come slightly close and Dublin has Grafton St(shame its full of Dubs).

Limerick clearly gave up on pedestrians in the city and ALLOWED the Crescent to suck the life out of the city.The Opera Centre was too late and the Parkway Valley is now a Dinosaur Skeleton.

The City is not just dead, the council has buried it and already performed the months mind.

Cork is an example of a small city that has balanced having a fairly busy city centre with also having retail parks and outside shopping centres.

I see it an an example of what having a pro active group of people within the city council/local authorities etc can do.

In Limerick there is half assed takes on good ideas that rarely get followed through on, plus a city council that has members more interested in getting their own faces in the paper rather than trying to make Limerick the shopping and amenity hub it could be with some proper planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The funny thing is, as shopping centres go the Crescent is pretty horrific.

Limerick City aesthetically is lovely, it wouldn't take much to get people back in there from the Crescent IMO. As has been said repeatedly in here, it seems as though the astronomical price of renting in the CC is the major malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think parking has a lot to do with it as well.

I'd love to see a carpark working on this system - there is a booklet which has info on...lets say 50 shops in Limerick. If you do more than...say 10 euros worth of shopping in any of those shops, they stamp their page in the booklet (or give you a ticket, etc) and you get parking for free.

osarusan wrote: »
    I think parking has a lot to do with it as well.

I'd love to see a carpark working on this system - there is a booklet which has info on...lets say 50 shops in Limerick. If you do more than...say 10 euros worth of shopping in any of those shops, they stamp their page in the booklet (or give you a ticket, etc) and you get parking for free.

It's certainly an issue.

I wonder how much the council takes in a year in car parking. Making it free on Saturday's would make a huge difference to people coming into town imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's certainly an issue.

I wonder how much the council takes in a year in car parking. Making it free on Saturday's would make a huge difference to people coming into town imo.
    Was in Cork recently and had to pay 8euro for just over 2 hours parking in a multistory carpark which is outrageous.In Galway on street parking is 2.60 euro per hour,Limerick on street parking is only 2 euro for 2 hours so I think the parking issue is being overstated.

• Advertisement

allimac wrote: »
    Was in Cork recently and had to pay 8euro for just over 2 hours parking in a multistory carpark which is outrageous.In Galway on street parking is 2.60 euro per hour,Limerick on street parking is only 2 euro for 2 hours so I think the parking issue is being overstated.

It's easier to justify paying for parking when there's something worth getting in your car to go and visit.

It's a psychological thing anyway - it's much less about the financial burden of paying for parking and more about the abstract notion of having to pay for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement