Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Mr E wrote: »
    Bewleys closed at least 10 years ago. I don't think you can count it as a victim of the recession. :)

From the ashes of Bewley's rose http://www.carambola.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sorry - oops on the Danes - what I meant is the Baker's Kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

22,000 + unemployed in limerick city have no money to spend!
    Don't know how many unemployed in mid-west region but they have no money to spend either.
    If every shop in limerick city was filled with half decent shops (give them 0 rates or tax incentives, it would help reduce our unemployment + get people back spending.
    Plus if you were to open a shop in city centre, 1st thing your € would be spent on is security guards,
    I would say we need at least 2 gardai on every shopping street, so retailers don't need to employ so many security staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Today, closed shop "Prémaman", yesterday "Car Zone" - Jetland Ennis Rd :(

In 2009: "Golden Disc", "Dr.China", "Sasha".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Today, closed shop "Prémaman", yesterday "Car Zone" - Jetland Ennis Rd :(

In 2009: "Golden Disc", "Dr.China", "Sasha".

That's a big chunk of what was in that centre gone. What is left out there now? Dunnes, the pharmacy, Jean scene, elvery sports, Carrig Donn and a few coffee shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

New clothes shop opened on Gerlad Griffing st. a few weeks ago.
    New clothes shop soon to open on Thomas street.
    Cafe, bar or retaraunt nearly ready to open beside the Locke bar.
    Flannery's on catehrine street being extended.
    Coffee shop beside Gleeson's on Catherine street being renovated.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Kess73 wrote: »
    That's a big chunk of what was in that centre gone. What is left out there now? Dunnes, the pharmacy, Jean scene, elvery sports, Carrig Donn and a few coffee shops?

Yes. Pharmacy, "Elvery", "Carrig", "Hallmark", "The Jean Scenne" -> The Josef Shop (now;)), "Costa", Dunnes, BB'S.

Half empty. :( We'll see what happens. If something changes, I will surely write. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

This makes for car crash reading........ and things are unlikely to change any time soon it seems. Oooh Im depressed now; alcohol methinks !!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

IIRC the bookshops in the Parkway and Castletroy are both closed.

IIRC the bookshops in the Parkway and Castletroy are both closed.

Did the one in the Crescent Shopping centre stay open? It is owned by the same people as the one in the Parkway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Is Clancy's electrical on o connell street still open?
    Pat keoghs also closed.
    24Hr Dunnes on Childers road, no longer 24hour.
    O Briens sandwiches in the parkway also closed.

Wetbench4 wrote: »

Clancy's stopped trading in the city centre months ago. They have a store out beside the Parkway roundabout now. It is the building that Kielys used to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Platform Web

New coffee shop on corner of Roches St and Catherine St.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Platform Web

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Pat keoghs also closed.
    24Hr Dunnes on Childers road, no longer 24hour.
    O Briens sandwiches in the parkway also closed.

Are all O Briens everywere gone? They were in big trouble centrally I think

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Folks I'm from Limerick orginally now living in Dublin ( handier to get to Croke Park for the All Irelands doncha know ), and I have to say I used to be astounded at the new retail outliets opening up in Limerick. There are the equivalent new towns all round the outskirts of Limerick e.g. Annacotty, Newtown, etc. Annacotty was a crook in the road when I was a chap ( long time ago ), and now look at it. It was inevitable that there would be a scaling back because there was a madness in the sheer number of shops opening up.

It would be better if some of the out-of-town centres were bulldozed ( which will happen believe me ).

I live in South Dublin, and even in the wealthiest part of the country, there are shops closing due to falls in business and high rents. There had to be a shakeout.

Therefore do not despair, reality will dawn at some stage, we're just living through the awful 'oh God is it morning, how many pints did I have last night' feeling after the party that was the Celtic Tiger.

Think back to the time when the only thing open after the pub was the Number One O'Connell Grill for a bag of chips to eat on the walk home - or is that closed too....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

JD Dublin wrote: »
    Folks I'm from Limerick orginally now living in Dublin ( handier to get to Croke Park for the All Irelands doncha know ), and I have to say I used to be astounded at the new retail outliets opening up in Limerick. There are the equivalent new towns all round the outskirts of Limerick e.g. Annacotty, Newtown, etc. Annacotty was a crook in the road when I was a chap ( long time ago ), and now look at it. It was inevitable that there would be a scaling back because there was a madness in the sheer number of shops opening up.

It would be better if some of the out-of-town centres were bulldozed ( which will happen believe me ).

I live in South Dublin, and even in the wealthiest part of the country, there are shops closing due to falls in business and high rents. There had to be a shakeout.

Therefore do not despair, reality will dawn at some stage, we're just living through the awful 'oh God is it morning, how many pints did I have last night' feeling after the party that was the Celtic Tiger.

Think back to the time when the only thing open after the pub was the Number One O'Connell Grill for a bag of chips to eat on the walk home - or is that closed too....?
    Still there, but never open late that i have seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

fish/aquarium shop on mallow street moved out to castletroy shopping centre, he used have a great selection in there, nowadays i go to the pet shop in fox's bow, not as good a selection and some really nice tropical fish but i really dont want to go all the way out to castletroy unless im buying a €50 fish! :(

a lot of the shops (were they bought by developers?) at the top of the town where they were going to build that "opera" shopping centre that never went ahead were moved or closed down. the banner is still up for it anyway?

xsiborg wrote: »
    fish/aquarium shop on mallow street moved out to castletroy shopping centre, he used have a great selection in there, nowadays i go to the pet shop in fox's bow, not as good a selection and some really nice tropical fish but i really dont want to go all the way out to castletroy unless im buying a €50 fish! :(

That is Kevin who was on Cecil street that you are talking about. The rates and rent for his old place were crazy, especially as it was a smaller celler with no street frontage.

He has lost a lot of business by moving, but if he had stayed the higher rent/rates would have closed him anyway I reckon. Hope I am wrong though as he is a good bloke who has worked hard to grow his business. Used to go to his old place a lot, but like yourself I go to the lads in Paws N' Claws now because it is handier for me to go to for smaller purchases as I would rarely be out around the Castletroy shopping centre, plus they are sound lads there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

That is Kevin who was on Cecil street that you are talking about.

thats the guy, always get those two streets mixed up, took me long enough to tell the difference between thomas street and william street!:eek: (no sense of direction! :o)
    Hope I am wrong though as he is a good bloke who has worked hard to grow his business.

i hope so too, must take a trip out sunday to see his new place, i'll google map before i go! :D
    Used to go to his old place a lot, but like yourself I go to the lads in Paws N' Claws now because it is handier for me to go to for smaller purchases as I would rarely be out around the Castletroy shopping centre, plus they are sound lads there too.

they are too, i just hope they don't go now too or im rightly fecked, i dont think i'd be too keen to order my fish online, the delivery times can be a killer! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ya, a very helpful guy that owns that place. I was out to his new place in Castletroy a few weeks ago. The new shop is a beautiful unit and way bigger and better stocked than the old shop. Hope it goes well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yeah Kevin is sound, hope his new place goes well. He won't be the last business to abandon the city in favour of the suburbs. I don't blame them for doing so either what with the ridiculous rates in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

a lot of the shops (were they bought by developers?) at the top of the town where they were going to build that "opera" shopping centre that never went ahead were moved or closed down. the banner is still up for it anyway?

Funny, I'd have alwyas called the other end of O' Connell St. the top of the town.

Yeah It's still there, covering up that boil on the arse of architecture, Cahill May Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Did the one in the Crescent Shopping centre stay open? It is owned by the same people as the one in the Parkway.

No it isn't:confused:

I read on the front of the Leader this evening that The Bank bar has closed. Shame that, one of the finest bars in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Aidric wrote: »
    I read on the front of the Leader this evening that The Bank bar has closed. Shame that, one of the finest bars in the city.

Not a shame at all. The building itself was fantastic but it never really attracted the clientele it was hoping for.

Might have done when it opened first but i think the novelty of drinking in what used to be a bank wore off

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

the bank was just too off the beaten track for most limerick people.
    a huge mistake the owners made at the beginning was on the advertised opening night the bar was not ready, so instead of contacting all the people they invited they decided to locate someone on the steps tp the entrance to inform them as they pulled up/walked up that the opening was postponed.
    this i saw with my own eyes and could not believe.
    also they people who own this seem to have a track record at not being able to run a business properly.

garminguy wrote: »
    also they people who own this seem to have a track record at not being able to run a business properly.
    Oh really? They operate the Locke bar as well afaik. I'd hardly call that 'not being able to run a business properly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

Aidric wrote: »
    Oh really? They operate the Locke bar as well afaik. I'd hardly call that 'not being able to run a business properly'.
    the used to own racket hall hotel in roscrea, gone bust
    the bank, closed down
    thats 2 of the 3 places the ran gone.
    not really running a business properly if u ask me
    they used to own finnegans and sold it!
    bet they wished they held on to it now!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wouldnt say the locke is run well, its just run and happens to be in a very popular spot and the bar takes advantage of having the sun in the evenings and the good outdoor space

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I wouldnt say the locke is run well
    What basis do you have for this opinion or are you just talking out of your hole?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement