Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

allimac wrote: »
    Was in Cork recently and had to pay 8euro for just over 2 hours parking in a multistory carpark which is outrageous.In Galway on street parking is 2.60 euro per hour,Limerick on street parking is only 2 euro for 2 hours so I think the parking issue is being overstated.

I have to agree 100% with this. The parking is not an issue in this City, the lack of decent shops in the City Centre is. Click in to the Limerick Chamber report on parking to see how cheap parking in Limerick is compared to other cities. You cannot park for free in other cities. Limerick is a small City not a big "town" that should have free parking.

http://www.limerickchamber.ie/news.aspx?id=845

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

IMO parking is a problem if you just want to run in and out of a shop in a hurry there are no parking spaces. That said while high rents are a problem the big problem is the very high rates we have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's certainly an issue.

I wonder how much the council takes in a year in car parking. Making it free on Saturday's would make a huge difference to people coming into town imo.

Free parking without a genuine range of good shops is worthless though. Shops bring in shoppers not parking.

People will still shop in areas where they have to pay for parking as long as they can visit plenty of good shops in the one area.

For my money if Limerick were to get big name retailers signed up on attractive rates and then went ahead and pedestrainised the area with the shops, it would be a gold mine.

But I can see the pedestrianisation of O' Connell Street being done in the usual half assed way the planners seem to do everything else and the city will have a nice area with no cars, very little shops and very little shoppers. It will be like the "shopping centre" out in Coonagh. One anchor tenant and 17 empty shopping centre units plus four (I think) empty retail park units.

The build a centre or retail park without having anyone lined up for the units mentality has to change. The Jetland retail park has units that are empty since it first opened, and with empty units in the Jetland shopping centre beside it, it does not make for a tempting location for businesses looking for footfall.

The Coonagh centre has stood empty other than Tesco since it was built, and the owner of the site was complaining in the press not to long ago that he could not get planning persmission to build as many units again beside that centre.

Even the white elephant that is the Opera house would be a risk in terms of it staying empty or partially empty if it was to be built.

I would much prefer to see buildings like the old Dunnes by Sarsfield bridge renovated into use and the likes of Arthurs Quay get revamped than money getting ploughed into more shopping centres that sit mostly idle.

On topic, I was driving passed Brown Thomas last night and noticed a unit to let to the left of BT. Due to buses being parked there and the moving traffic I could not really see which one. Anyone know what left to create the vacancy? Hopefully not Compu B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Kess73 wrote: »
    Free parking without a genuine range of good shops is worthless though. Shops bring in shoppers not parking.

People will still shop in areas where they have to pay for parking as long as they can visit plenty of good shops in the one area.

For my money if Limerick were to get big name retailers signed up on attractive rates and then went ahead and pedestrainised the area with the shops, it would be a gold mine.

But I can see the pedestrianisation of O' Connell Street being done in the usual half assed way the planners seem to do everything else and the city will have a nice area with no cars, very little shops and very little shoppers. It will be like the "shopping centre" out in Coonagh. One anchor tenant and 17 empty shopping centre units plus four (I think) empty retail park units.

The build a centre or retail park without having anyone lined up for the units mentality has to change. The Jetland retail park has units that are empty since it first opened, and with empty units in the Jetland shopping centre beside it, it does not make for a tempting location for businesses looking for footfall.

The Coonagh centre has stood empty other than Tesco since it was built, and the owner of the site was complaining in the press not to long ago that he could not get planning persmission to build as many units again beside that centre.

Even the white elephant that is the Opera house would be a risk in terms of it staying empty or partially empty if it was to be built.

I would much prefer to see buildings like the old Dunnes by Sarsfield bridge renovated into use and the likes of Arthurs Quay get revamped than money getting ploughed into more shopping centres that sit mostly idle.

On topic, I was driving passed Brown Thomas last night and noticed a unit to let to the left of BT. Due to buses being parked there and the moving traffic I could not really see which one. Anyone know what left to create the vacancy? Hopefully not Compu B.

It's the old o2 shop that's been vacant for ages now, easily a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

allimac wrote: »
    Was in Cork recently and had to pay 8euro for just over 2 hours parking in a multistory carpark which is outrageous.In Galway on street parking is 2.60 euro per hour,Limerick on street parking is only 2 euro for 2 hours so I think the parking issue is being overstated.

I wasn't talking about the price as much as the availability. Cruising up and down streets looking for a space isn't fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

osarusan wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the price as much as the availability. Cruising up and down streets looking for a space isn't fun.

especially with god awful system and traffic lights that they have now

foinse wrote: »
    It's the old o2 shop that's been vacant for ages now, easily a year or 2.

Ahh good.

Not good that it is still an empty unit, but good that nothing else had closed in that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I do think the whole parking thing is an issue. I dont c why i should have to pay for parking when i'm going into town to do some shopping. Think they should make it free to park in town on a satur afternoon to encourage people to go into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

kiersm wrote: »
    I do think the whole parking thing is an issue. I dont c why i should have to pay for parking when i'm going into town to do some shopping. Think they should make it free to park in town on a satur afternoon to encourage people to go into town.

I park in that euro carpark across from the granary, it is only a euro an hour to a maximum of 3 euro for the day (on saturdays).
    Ok it is not free, but that small amount wouldn't bother me, particularly if the money went to improving the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Eamon Grimes Off Licence next to F.S.V and Gleeson Sports has closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Jofspring wrote: »
    Eamon Grimes Off Licence next to F.S.V and Gleeson Sports has closed.

Gleeson Sports Scene?? It is closing or closed? Either way it will be missed it was a great shop and the staff were excellent.

My apologies Jofspring mis read your post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

timbertime wrote: »
    Gleeson Sports Scene?? It is closing or closed? Either way it will be missed it was a great shop and the staff were excellent.
    they are still updating facebook status, sure its closed?
    http://www.gleesonsport.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I dont think its Gleesons that closed, but the off licence beside it....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Read jofspringf's post again.

The off-license is closing, not Gleeson's. The sports shop is only mentioned to give people an idea of the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

The off-license is closing, not Gleeson's. The sports shop is only mentioned to give people an idea of the location.

My apologies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

timbertime wrote: »
    My apologies.

No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Phew. One less customer for me(Grimes)................but at least the €50 voucher I have for Gleeons is safe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

if people think that the cresent is the straw that broke the citys back, then the childers road retail park has been the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Jofspring

flutered wrote: »
    if people think that the cresent is the straw that broke the citys back, then the childers road retail park has been the final nail in the coffin.

True but something needs to be done with Childers Road. I avoid it on busy days because it takes way too long to get in to it with all the traffic that builds up.

These places are a good reason why the city centre is struggling but what have the council actually been doing to eradicate it? Rates are still high for the footfall business's get in the city. They clean and upgrade one or two main streets and the rest are left to rot. All we seem to see is planning permission denied for places outside the city as they don't want business to be taken away from it but then there is nothing done in town to make up for it. There is absolutely no point denying planning permission on these grounds until there is something happening in the city i.e something done with Dunnes Sarsfield street, the back of Debenhams, the Opera Centre area, Catherine Street, Cecil Street, Davis Street, Parnell Street and that whole surrounding area. The first impression when people get of the train in Limerick is closed down business's and wino's and or homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The problem with Childers Road is the absolutely retarded one way system (having to drive all the way over to Argos just to get out). Its bad enough when they force it upon us at christmas, but it is completely pointless and annoying for the other 11 months in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The problem with Childers Road is the absolutely retarded one way system (having to drive all the way over to Argos just to get out). Its bad enough when they force it upon us at christmas, but it is completely pointless and annoying for the other 11 months in the year.

Speaks volumes about the ability of the people who are tasked to design such 'amenities',and I see the same parking area is festooned with plastic bollards now in a half-assed effort to keep traffic flowing.

This country has a chronic problem with people appointed to design major infrastructural projects who are plainly lacking in the ability to do these jobs.

Another example is the traffic layout on the Tipperary road which I hear is soon going to be re-configured in some way to try and undo it's present dysfunctionality

Wouldn't it be nice if we had talented personnel for those jobs who actually knew what they were doing from the get-go and were able to design traffic systems that were workable and appropriate to their needs?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

OOOh my two favorite pet hates, the new parkway shopping complex and the flyover on the tipp road.

About the shopping center, how the hell an ambulance is supposed to get in there if the traffic is backed up Ive no idea, surely this contravenes a fire office requirement?

The tipp rd flyover, ye know the official answer as to why they designed it like that??... 'we didnt forsee the volume of traffic that would be on this route'....
    /rant
    Why isnt the person who signed off on these plans held accountable for such inept designs?
    Why arent planners held accountable for giving permission to housing developments on flood plains?
    Why isnt there ANY accountability in this country??
    rant/

am off for more coffee and something sugary!:confused: sorry for being off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Xennon have to agree with you, they closed the link road in by the Maldron into Roxboro which has caused massive traffic probs coming in & those stupid new lights on the Dublin Rd.

Its made traffic twice as bad as before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

does anyone know what the story is with the Food Fair on O'Connell street?

it has been closed the last few days- is it closed indefinitely?

does anyone know what the story is with the Food Fair on O'Connell street?

it has been closed the last few days- is it closed indefinitely?

It is closed for good it seems.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

sequioa lane closed down too....:( loved that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

joanofarc wrote: »
    sequioa lane closed down too....:( loved that shop.

Ah no... so did I :mad: They had really nice jewellery too

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

tippman1 wrote: »
    Speaks volumes about the ability of the people who are tasked to design such 'amenities',and I see the same parking area is festooned with plastic bollards now in a half-assed effort to keep traffic flowing.

This country has a chronic problem with people appointed to design major infrastructural projects who are plainly lacking in the ability to do these jobs.

Another example is the traffic layout on the Tipperary road which I hear is soon going to be re-configured in some way to try and undo it's present dysfunctionality

Wouldn't it be nice if we had talented personnel for those jobs who actually knew what they were doing from the get-go and were able to design traffic systems that were workable and appropriate to their needs?

J.
    Couldn't agree more with you. We have a similar situation here in Ballina in Mayo where the county council engineers redesigned the town traffic flow and basically they have made a hames of the town and I have to say are responsible for the major downturn that has occurred in business here mainly due to the fact that there are traffic james trying to get in and out of town so now it is being avoided and people are going elsewhere to shop. These people should be held accountable for their actions and decisions. The town council cannot do anything about it so it seems. Often wonder why we have these town councils at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In Ballina the other day. I couldn't make out what was going on. No filtering, no yield signs, no stop signs.

Take a leaf out of Limerick books. Slap up some traffic lights.

• Advertisement

Two posts deleted for groundless speculation. If you have a story, post it with a link to some kind of proof that backs it up. If you're just here to waste time spreading rumours, that will not be entertained.

Thanks, etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement