Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Saw a few posts were deleted, hope it wasn't over The Lodge Nightlclub closing, as it seems to be conifrmed by the Leader http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/En...for.6716106.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I did notice it wasnt very busy the past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Birthdays on O'Connell Street is closed until further notice and JR Fashions on Thomas Street appears to be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

where is one going to go to get some decent clobber, apart from RI if that floats your boat....
    Last time I was in Tony Connollys, it didn't seem to have a good a range that they used to (Levis and/or Lee). I wouldn't be able to afford all the gstar stuff in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Birthdays on O'Connell Street is closed until further notice and JR Fashions on Thomas Street appears to be closed.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/liquidation-for-birthdays-ireland-stores-495592.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Dropping like flies...hope to christ the new government can do something about the dire situation in Limerick, not to mention nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

JR's is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sad about JR's, they used be very good to my mum when she was still around.

Suds launderette on Henry Street is gone.

The_Dave wrote: »
    JR's is gone

Biggest mistake moving from Crescent into the City

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Biggest mistake moving from Crescent into the City

I agree, but apparently it was the Crescent's rates that pushed them out.

they still open in Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Limerick City Council and planners must take responsibility for what;s happening and do something about it. City is become a ghost town.
    I was in Kinsale last week and travelling into Cork City there is a park and ride facility. There is also a sign showing the number of available parking spaces in three multi story car parks and one is well directed to these parks.
    Signs on Cork is still vibrant and buzzing in spite of the same recession !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Jofspring

shawnee wrote: »
    Limerick City Council and planners must take responsibility for what;s happening and do something about it. City is become a ghost town.
    I was in Kinsale last week and travelling into Cork City there is a park and ride facility. There is also a sign showing the number of available parking spaces in three multi story car parks and one is well directed to these parks.

This goes for Galway too. No matter how much they blame the recession, we seem to be having more problems than most. The town is already nearly a ghost town or basically full of discount stores. How many have opened in the last year, 4 or 5? Don't know if it was mentioned but Hannahs on Cruises street has also closed down.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Don't know if it was mentioned but Hannahs on Cruises street has also closed down.

Thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mitresize5

shawnee wrote: »

the damage is done

In years to come Limerick will be used as a case study in how not to plan a town/city.

The presense of so many out of town shopping centres has destroyed the city centre for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mitresize5 wrote: »
    the damage is done

In years to come Limerick will be used as a case study in how not to plan a town/city.

The presense of so many out of town shopping centres has destroyed the city centre for ever

There is far more to the decline of the the town centre than simply the emergence of out of town retail parks/shopping centres.

Poor inner city planning, lack of understanding of what retailers need, a denial of any problems, no real flexibilty regarding rates, stupid upward only rent reviews, lack of a garda presence on the streets.

If it were simply a matter of the out of town parks and centres taking the business, then they would be booming, but with the exception of the Crescent shopping centre, which is not doing as well as it used to either, none of the out of town centres are doing very well with most of them coming with plenty of empty units as well.

When Limerick city gets a city council/local authority that has more interest in the welfare of the city over their own public profile, then real change may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Kess's post is bang on the money. All other Irish cities have retail parks in the suburbs and haven't suffered anything like Limerick.

The council should take it in the neck with their fecklesss policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

the new retail incentive scheme is a step in the right direction but not enough, definitely more needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Aidric wrote: »
    Kess's post is bang on the money. All other Irish cities have retail parks in the suburbs and haven't suffered anything like Limerick.

The council should take it in the neck with their fecklesss policies.

Galway's the only city of comparable size to Limerick and it has nothing like the other of town shopping centres we have, specifically the hell-on-earth that is the Crescent.

• Advertisement

lets remember the crescent has been there since the early 70's so I dont think the blame can lie solely at their feet

Well you can partly blame it the lower rates by the county council to entice business out of the city. But you can not ignore the City Council incompetence either, I hop they cop on or we will have nothing left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mc Love wrote: »
    lets remember the crescent has been there since the early 70's so I dont think the blame can lie solely at their feet

Not solely no, but the Crescent has expanded a lot in the last 15 years.

There's a lot that could be done in the city to improve but first and foremost we need to get some sort of boundary extension.

How far would you want the boundary extension to go though? I would only accept a boundary extension if those morons in City Council had nothing to do with - the one thing we dont need is more traffic lights

I think the ring road is a natural boundary for the city, so the city would stretch all the way out to the interchange at the raheen ind estate and follow all the way out to Finnegans. As for that bankrupting the county council that arguement doesnt wash anymore as with the introduction of a property tax and water rates to fund local government they will be fine.

Not solely no, but the Crescent has expanded a lot in the last 15 years.

There's a lot that could be done in the city to improve but first and foremost we need to get some sort of boundary extension.

Ok say they extend the boundary and the Crescent Shopping centre is now in within the city limits along with a few other retail parks.

There will still be just as many people heading out to those parks as now, and the city centre will still be full of empty units and empty promises.

If anything extending the boundary may end up damaging the likes of the Crescent Shopping centre and the other retail parks as the brains in the City council would most likely push the higher rates onto those places.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ok say they extend the boundary and the Crescent Shopping centre is now in within the city limits along with a few other retail parks.

There will still be just as many people heading out to those parks as now, and the city centre will still be full of empty units and empty promises.

If anything extending the boundary may end up damaging the likes of the Crescent Shopping centre and the other retail parks as the brains in the City council would most likely push the higher rates onto those places.

Tom Mackey and some of the councillors are on record saying that they could and would reduce the rates by up to 30% if they got the boundary extension. The county councillors are also on record saying they would knock at least 25% off the rates if the two councils were amalgamated so I think there is concensus that the rates can and would come down from both sides

kilburn wrote: »
    Tom Mackey and some of the councillors are on record saying that they could and would reduce the rates by up to 30% if they got the boundary extension. The county councillors are also on record saying they would knock at least 25% off the rates if the two councils were amalgamated so I think there is concensus that the rates can and would come down from both sides

Rates coming down could only be a good thing, but the talk of rates coming down in a substantial manner has been promised in the past as well.

The city centre has been losing retailers on a weekly basis for a number of years now, and the same council has not made any sizeable cuts to rates. Why should people believe that they would do so if they got the boundary extended?

If the powers that be cannot pull their fingers out when action is most needed, then anything that they promise if they get their way on things should be treated with extreme suspicion.

All I would expect if the boundary was extended is a council that use the sales figures of the Crescent as some kind of proof as to how well the city was doing in that they could publish figures showing the city making more money under the new boundary than the old one.

Given how poorly the council has performed for retailers and other service providers in the city, I don't imagine that businesses currently in the county would be too keen to have those clowns running the show for them as well.

Various council members over the years are on record promising lots of different things for the city, but until they get held to account for not following through on things, nowt will change and the Coks and Galways will continue to pull away from Limerick.

They could not afford to cut the rates that was the issue the city is a small area you can only squeeze so much blood from a stone, they were not in a position to lower the rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

birthdays in cresent closed
    post office in cresent closed
    :confused:
    who ever owns the cresent obviously would rather empty units then "reduced rent":confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement