Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Birthdays closed nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    They could not afford to cut the rates that was the issue the city is a small area you can only squeeze so much blood from a stone, they were not in a position to lower the rates.

Well they now have plenty of empty units that bring in nothing for them.

The time for them to have been dropping rates was a few years ago when Galway, Cork, and even some of the largers towns were dropping the cost of rates and/or other costs to businesses.

Those places took a cut in the rates, but gambled that it would help in keeping units in use, and that long term it would pay off.

In Limerick rents and rates just kept rising regardless of how many places were closing. There was no long term plan or view, just waffle about how the Opera centre and other such projects would make Limerick the envy of any city outside of Dublin. Even when it became obvious that the much lauded projects were not going ahead, there were still noises from the council about how the Opera Hopuse was the game changer.

Now the talk of the Opera house or any other grand projects has finally quietened down, and we get talk of the Xmas tree on the river staying put as it is a massive tourist attraction and draw, or so we were told by the current mayor and some other council members.

You are right to say that you can only get so much blood from a stone, but there also comes a time when drastic measures are needed to try and save a city centre, and to date those with the power to do so have failed the city badly on so many levels.

It may well get to the point that Limerick never actually fully recovers from the amount of closed units and businesses. After the recession in the 1980's Limerick city continued to be stay amongst the areas that had the highest level of unemployment in the country. It stayed in the 11% to 13% rate of unemployment during the so called boom years, and is now over the 20% mark. If strong and decisive action is not taken and followed through on by the council, local authorities etc., then all that is in place is the groundwork for an even worse area of unemployment the next time the economy takes a nosedive, be it in 15 years time or 25 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 rates reduced in Limerick City
    Here is the Link
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/council_is_to_cut_the_city_rate_for_third_year_in_row_1_2182451
    2009 rates increased
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick_city_businesses_will_be_hit_for_30m_1_2186364
    The time for them to have been dropping rates was a few years ago when Galway, Cork, and even some of the largers towns were dropping the cost of rates and/or other costs to businesses.

In Limerick rents and rates just kept rising regardless of how many places were closing. There was no long term plan or view, just waffle about how the Opera centre and other such projects would make Limerick the envy of any city outside of Dublin. Even when it became obvious that the much lauded projects were not going ahead, there were still noises from the council about how the Opera Hopuse was the game changer.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Rates coming down could only be a good thing, but the talk of rates coming down in a substantial manner has been promised in the past as well.

The city centre has been losing retailers on a weekly basis for a number of years now, and the same council has not made any sizeable cuts to rates. Why should people believe that they would do so if they got the boundary extended?

I did already say that they had not made any sizeable cuts in the rates.

The cuts that the council made in Limerick were tiny and along the line of a quarter of one percent. Not exactly groundshaking stuff, no matter how their media soundbytes try to dress up a rate drop of 0.25% as being some kind of great relief to local retailers and the like.

Other cities and towns managed rate drops of between 15% and 25% whilst the Limerick council managed it's drops of 0.25%.

Now I am not saying that dropping the rates would just solve all problems, but if it had been done like many other cities and towns were doing it, then it certainly would have helped a hell of a lot. The other towns had councils that looked ahead and took the pain of less income from rates in order to try and help businesses. The Limerick council made tiny cuts and went straight to the local papers to proclaim how great the move was.

A recent meeting involving some of the retailers from William street, Foxes Bow, Thomas Street and O'Connell street echoed this point, but no doubt like many other meetings, the comments of those involved will be ignored by the council.

All it takes to see how much trouble Limerick city centre is in, is a walk in a straight line from the O'Connell Street/Mallow Street junction to Patrick street/Rutland street. Trying to find a block between any of the junctions on that walk without closed units is difficult. No other city in Ireland has a main street with such a % of closed units, and it is a real shame to see a city, whose location could and should see it being a paradise for shoppers, tourists, and amenity seekers, be nothing of the sort.

Consider my opinions on this topic to be from frustration at seeing so much wasted potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Suds (laundry) in Upper henry St. Closed aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Heirlooms on Cruises Street Closing Down. Signs on the window. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw an ad in the Limerick Post for it up for rent/sale, surprised it wasnt mentioned on here first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Is Cafe Solo gone?
    I call in there the odd time when I'm working in Limerick but when I went down there today the place was locked up and looked like the inside had been stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

RonMexico wrote: »
    Heirlooms on Cruises Street Closing Down. Signs on the window. :(

They've been "closing down" now for around five years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Is Cafe Solo gone?
    I call in there the odd time when I'm working in Limerick but when I went down there today the place was locked up and looked like the inside had been stripped.

It's probably a fair guess that it's closed down then I'd have thought...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

hair salon on Thomas street ,"Liberty" appears to be shut down today as I passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

carsfan wrote: »
    hair salon on Thomas street ,"Liberty" appears to be shut down today as I passed it.

I believe they have moved their operation into Le Chocolat on Sarsfield street. It's the same owner.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Xtravision on Thomas Street is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah not surprised the movie rental business is almost dead, the only reason the others xtra's are staying open is they have other things going, DVD\bluray for sale, games, phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Was out in the crescent today, Click is gone, and there's a site notice up on the window for another cafe/restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

foinse wrote: »
    Was out in the crescent today, Click is gone, and there's a site notice up on the window for another cafe/restaurant.

What's / What was Click? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Berty wrote: »

Computer/gadget shop

PCs/Laptops/Ipods etc

http://www.click.ie/

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Computer/gadget shop
    Kess73 wrote: »
    PCs/Laptops/Ipods etc

http://www.click.ie/

Where was it and how long was it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Next to the EBS/Across from Subway. For well over a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Over a year, beside the pharmacy down by Subway.

Nope. Never go down that Mall. Always park in the underground and nothing down that way interests me.

Sorry to hear it's gone though for the owners and staff of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It doesnt surprise me - lads in there werent too clued up and some of the computers they offered were always going to be trounced by the likes of PC world etc.
    Plus its nearly cheaper to get stuff online.

I will say though it was good if you needed to get some techy equipment instead of trawling to the other side of town

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Chea wrote: »
    Today I went to The Pet Supermarket by the Tipperary Roundabout and there was no hamsters for sale. Then I went to Petmania but they were a rob.. 15 Euro for a syrian and with only two available for selection. **** cages were available for 50 euro plus. :mad: Pa's Pet and Grooming had Roborovski Hamsters for 12 Euro but I'm looking for a Syrian Hamster.. Do you know any breeders or suitable pet stores? Thanks in advance :)

Um... What? :confused:

I think I'll merge that into a new thread.

Just saw on live 95fm website that Irwin Bros Jewelers are closing after 115 years that is a shame.

Just saw on live 95fm website that Irwin Bros Jewelers are closing after 115 years that is a shame.

Hate seeing long established businesses close up in Limerick. Felt the same when the likes of Clancys left the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Which one?

Patrick Street or Williamscourt Mall...or both? :O

Edit: Just Patrick Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Are they doing a stock clearance?

jmch81 wrote: »
    Are they doing a stock clearance?

Not sure to be honest but if they are the vultures will circle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭manna452121

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement