Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair play to you for coming on here to inform us A1Nutboy. I've deleted the posts relating to the incorrect speculation that the business was closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A1Nutboy

Clareman wrote: »
    Fair play to you for coming on here to inform us A1Nutboy. I've deleted the posts relating to the incorrect speculation that the business was closed

Thanks Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Happy to hear that Nutboy - the owner is a nice guy - has been great to deal with down the years and I wish him the best. Tough times for local businesses - and we should be supporting our own, rather than the British chains that have popped up in the last few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think Mike moving Babyworld out of the city might come back to bite him in the arse unfortunately. I know him fairly well from Shannon, an absolute gentleman and i hope everything works out for him.

Melion wrote: »
    I think Mike moving Babyworld out of the city might come back to bite him in the arse unfortunately. I know him fairly well from Shannon, an absolute gentleman and i hope everything works out for him.

One word. Parking.

Nightmare in town, really held the business back. Plus selling nursery to usually pregnant women over 3 floors, asking them to climb 2 stairs not a good idea. Move was absolutely for the best.

Thanks for the kind words BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Clarion Suites on The Ennis Road which has been closed since September will remain closed for the foreseeable future according to the Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thats sad, not surprised though. My sister's a manager in a boutique in the centre and she's saying its pretty tough going at the moment, town is practially dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not sure if its been posted, but the HUB Printing is now closed due to a fire in the premises :(

Not sure if its been posted, but the HUB Printing is now closed due to a fire in the premises :(

Will it reopen do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I dunno, But I sure as hell hope so!

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the McMahons Babyworld situation.

<mod snip>

Until further notice McMahons Babyworld is closed BUT not gone. We will be ringing people all week to arrange collection of their stuff on deposit and in the few cases where we cannot get the stock we will either offer something similar at a good discount or full refund. Customers can still ring us also.

We are determined that no customer will get burned. We have been a family run business in Limerick since 1948. During this time we have built up a very loyal client base and made many good friends. The last thing we want to do is destroy this great relationship.

We are all devastated by this. As of last Monday there was significant hope that we would be able to stay open as we were doing well. <mod snip>

I would like to take the opportunity as one of the McMahons to sincerely thank all our customers from Limerick and the mid-west who have dealt with us down the years. We have had many examples of second and even third generations of familys reared in Prams, buggies etc... bought in McMahons. We are a family business committed to looking after families in Limerick and the mid west. Therefore it is with great sadness that we must close, hopefully not for ever.

Edit: Some potentially sensitive info removed

D

A1Nutboy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a quick update on the McMahons Babyworld situation.

<mod snip>

Until further notice McMahons Babyworld is closed BUT not gone. We will be ringing people all week to arrange collection of their stuff on deposit and in the few cases where we cannot get the stock we will either offer something similar at a good discount or full refund. Customers can still ring us also.

We are determined that no customer will get burned. We have been a family run business in Limerick since 1948. During this time we have built up a very loyal client base and made many good friends. The last thing we want to do is destroy this great relationship.

We are all devastated by this. As of last Monday there was significant hope that we would be able to stay open as we were doing well. <mod snip>

I would like to take the opportunity as one of the McMahons to sincerely thank all our customers from Limerick and the mid-west who have dealt with us down the years. We have had many examples of second and even third generations of familys reared in Prams, buggies etc... bought in McMahons. We are a family business committed to looking after families in Limerick and the mid west. Therefore it is with great sadness that we must close, hopefully not for ever.

Edit: Some potentially sensitive info removed

D

You said first that a staff member was not well and then changed to someone important being on holidays. Suddenly now the revenue is involved!

I think Luigi Malones is still closed for it's stocktake...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I can confirm that we received a call from babyworld regarding their situation and discussion about picking up the pram took place. It was appreciated thank you. I wish them all the best, these really are horrible times!

You said first that a staff member was not well and then changed to someone important being on holidays. Suddenly now the revenue is involved!

I think Luigi Malones is still closed for it's stocktake...

Thats simply not correct, please re-read my original post. I said a combination of someone being unwell and an important member of staff being on holiday.

I also stated that the shop was not closed and would be reopening. As it did.

Things move very quickly, situations change and dealing with actual customers takes precedence over ensuring a blog has the best up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just saw a woman viciously banging on the door on Roches Street. Seems to me that everybody was not informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Just saw a woman viciously banging on the door on Roches Street. Seems to me that everybody was not informed.

They've been gone from Roches Street for a while now have they not.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

There should be a forwarding contact number in the window at least. How distressful is that for a lady, more than likely a pregnant lady also.

Gone from Roches street for approx 7 months, plenty of signs there stating this and stating the new address and phone numner. Absolutely doubt its anything to do with the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Isn't the Roches Street premises an Asian store now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its possible she's seen the place locked up outside town, and is now trying the store in town unaware its been closed for so long.

zuroph wrote: »
    its possible she's seen the place locked up outside town, and is now trying the store in town unaware its been closed for so long.

Possible but I know the phones are being answered. The phone number is there for all to see.

The shop opposite, which was our bike shop, is now an Asian store.

I did not see the woman but saying she may be distressed & pregnant is a bit of a leap. I worked there for weekends and holidays for many years. We got a fair share of street drinkers and trouble makers causing trouble too. Was she one of them? I dont know I did not see her. Uninformed speculation is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Assuming of course that the woman was looking for the business that was there half a year ago and had not gotten the address wrong for somewhere else.

As you were the only person to have seen the lady banging on the door, maybe you should say whether she was indeed pregnant and distressed as another poster thinks she may have been, or if it was just a woman banging on a door and you have no idea as to why she was doing so.

Seems a bit harsh that a local business could be tarred by others due to a comment (not saying that you are tarring that business or have any intention of doing so) about a woman who may or may not have being looking for that business.

If Babyworld is indeed having difficulties, then that is yet another bad thing for Limerick as the city and surrounding areas are not doing so well that it can just afford business after business to close and add to the already massive dole numbers for Limerick, numbers that are scarily high when compared to pretty much any city or large town in the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I see Heirlooms finally closed after their year long closing down sale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I see Heirlooms finally closed after their year long closing down sale.

Their doors have been shut for well over a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Their doors have been shut for well over a month now.

Ok, well they are still shut today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Golf shop in raheen next to caseys furniture gone, HBC doing liquidation sale today n tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ABEasy wrote: »
    Golf shop in raheen next to caseys furniture gone, HBC doing liquidation sale today n tomorrow
    Was closed a few weeks ago iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Passed City Diesel last night, pumps gone, priceboard taped over - big green signs on all the windows saying "closed due to planning issues".

Pity, I use them a bit. Where else is good for cheap diesel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement