Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

Well I have gone to the Locke frequently of late and I am put off by the service - no"deviations" from the sandwich menu (i.e. if you order something and don't want cheese in it they won't take it out) and when it's busy you can't get a sandwich, very slow service quite frequently. I still go there because it's a nice pub and the staff are polite but those issues bug me.

O'Briens in William Street re-opened but I think it's currently closed because of a flood in the basement, there is a note up on the door.

Sad to see so many vacant shops in Limerick, especially in Cruises Street where it was once thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Aidric wrote: »
    What basis do you have for this opinion or are you just talking out of your hole?

IMO, drawing from the 5/6 years I worked in the trade the Locke Bar is run very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

IMO, drawing from the 5/6 years I worked in the trade the Locke Bar is run very well.
    I'd be of the same opinion myself hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

the lockes biggest advantage is its riverside location,
    i was there last sat afternoon for 2 drinks and while it was pleasant, it was nothing spectacular.
    the food is very ordinary and just mass produced
    the last time they won any accolade of any kind was 2002 according to their match boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Just passed there this lunchtime and there's activity again. Windows being cleaned, a couple of guys with blueprints stretched out on a table and pointing at things. Hope they do well, whoever they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

The locke and the bank dont have the same owners they are the same family but different brothers run both.

The bank is no great loss middiling beer poor service and a group of us were asked to leave one night coz they wanted to close early. Always found them expensive as well. Same could be said for the locke

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Aidric wrote: »
    What basis do you have for this opinion or are you just talking out of your hole?

Just from past experiences I dont think its run fairly well. Like I said, it capitalises well on its location and thats about it, a few years back it was great place to go, but its very grubby inside the bar and is in need of a renovation of sorts. I suppose it doesnt need to do it as it will always be an attraction because of its location. A lot of pubs are like this

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Good to see something happening in Kranks..

I liked the Bank but haven't been there for a while, It had a great smoking area up stairs on the roof,

Was out in Limerick last night, it was pretty much dead everywhere except Nancys.. Even that was quite.. ish...

Unemployed people have no money to spend... So don't think that will be the only pub to close..

That Fifteen restaurant is also gone - it was facing the River Shannon, next to the roundabout over the "New" Bridge - where Harris Pub used to be. I was really shocked to hear about that because it wasn't open very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

PatsyStone wrote: »
    That Fifteen restaurant is also gone - it was facing the River Shannon, next to the roundabout over the "New" Bridge - where Harris Pub used to be. I was really shocked to hear about that because it wasn't open very long.

Just like the Tapas Bar, and that italian restaurant that went before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

As soon as they opened it was predicted the pub would closed by Christmas. They managed to beat that by a month I reckon.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Just like the Tapas Bar, and that italian restaurant that went before it.

Yeah, I was in the Italian restaurant, wasn't crazy about it. But I was pretty shocked about Fifteen because there was so much hype about it. Then again it's harder for more expensive restaurants to survive what with all the great meal deals around town. I liked Harris Pub, a pity that went. Maybe it's just me but I think the location wasn't great and may have been a factor for those businesses.
    concussion wrote: »
    As soon as they opened it was predicted the pub would closed by Christmas. They managed to beat that by a month I reckon.

That reminds me...Cocoon, the new gay bar/nightclub in Thomas Street is also gone (where Players used to be) - about a month or so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

No surprise really. Three local papers fighting for collapsing advertising revenues. The Independent being the youngest of the three wouldn't have any significant cash reserves built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

"Jetland" will have new opening hours. Ill write on Thursday. The store will open later (from 10,11 am). Cuts hours. :(

Saw new donut shop open this am william street old juice bar accross from h samuels.
    New euro store o'connell street where crap bargain shop used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

"Jetland" will have new opening hours. Ill write on Thursday. The store will open later (from 10,11 am). Cuts hours. :(

Is that meant to be just Dunnes or for the entire centre from what you have heard so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw new donut shop open this am william street old juice bar accross from h samuels.

mmmmmmm donuts.........................
    New euro store o'connell street where crap bargain shop used to be.

Where? The place that used to be the Sony shop? Do we truly need another €1 shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is that meant to be just Dunnes or for the entire centre from what you have heard so far?

I heard only DS. On Thursday meeting. I'll write you "everything". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ChiGung

It's a disaster all these places closing down in the city centre and very bad for the city. The chamber of commerce or someone needs to step up and sort it out before the place becomes a ghost town. Empty spaces attract loiterers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

ChiGung wrote: »
    It's a disaster all these places closing down in the city centre and very bad for the city. The chamber of commerce or someone needs to step up and sort it out before the place becomes a ghost town. Empty spaces attract loiterers.
    Couldn't agree more.Was in Galway yesterday & didn't see too many closed down shops.
    Limerick seems to be suffering more than other cities.
    Euro & Bargain shops just make William St more of a kip than it already is.
    With the Opera Centre unlikely to ever happen, they should set about cleaning up that area aswell.

Berty wrote: »
    mmmmmmm donuts.........................

Where? The place that used to be the Sony shop? Do we truly need another €1 shop?

Empire Music looks to be one of those stores now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

ChiGung wrote: »

Its the same all over the country and I dont think the chambers of commerce can do much about it. The main problem is the rent that greedy landlords are charging for their premises and with the drop in business, business owners just cannot keep going and are forced to close.

sleepyman wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.Was in Galway yesterday & didn't see too many closed down shops.
    Limerick seems to be suffering more than other cities.
    Euro & Bargain shops just make William St more of a kip than it already is.
    With the Opera Centre unlikely to ever happen, they should set about cleaning up that area aswell.

I still think the site where the old Dunnes Stores was by Sarsfield bridge is where something like the Opera house should have gone. Have the side facing the river where the stairs would be and have plenty of glass so the riverview is on show. Build upwards at the back to allow for a multi level carpark.

Put a Marks and Spencers in there after modernising the building, a full M&S with all departments, and get smaller tenants for the other units in that building. If a M&S went in, then other businesses would be interested in going there to catch some of the footfall that M&S would generate.

Seems stupid to be having constant talk of building the Opera house elsewhere or knocking Arthur's Quay, when there is a big unit that is riverside sitting empty that could be modernised.

steph1 wrote: »
    Its the same all over the country and I dont think the chambers of commerce can do much about it. The main problem is the rent that greedy landlords are charging for their premises and with the drop in business, business owners just cannot keep going and are forced to close.

I agree about the rents, but the rates are also poor value for money within the city boundaries and that is something that the City Council can influence.

Clancy's Electrical made comment on it before moving out by the parkway, Petcrafts and Aquatics made comment on it before moving from Cecil Street to the Castletroy shopping centre. A number of stores that were in town and ended up in the Crescent shopping centre have said the same too. Also stores are complaining again that the garda presence in town has gone down again after the bit of a PR flurry of a month or so ago when extra patrols were put on the streets for a few weeks.

Topshop/Topman are another that were in town and are setting up in the Crescent instead and they have said the high rent, and the high rates with little service in return as to why they are moving to the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

Kess73 wrote: »
    I still think the site where the old Dunnes Stores was by Sarsfield bridge is where something like the Opera house should have gone. Have the side facing the river where the stairs would be and have plenty of glass so the riverview is on show. Build upwards at the back to allow for a multi level carpark.

Put a Marks and Spencers in there after modernising the building, a full M&S with all departments, and get smaller tenants for the other units in that building. If a M&S went in, then other businesses would be interested in going there to catch some of the footfall that M&S would generate.

Seems stupid to be having constant talk of building the Opera house elsewhere or knocking Arthur's Quay, when there is a big unit that is riverside sitting empty that could be modernised.

Not a bad idea.
    Personally though I think that would be a great site for an indoor music/events area -the Limerick O2.
    It seems the only time there's big numbers in the city is when there are Munster games or the Concerts last year.
    Imagine if every week you had the Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Lady Gaga, Smashing Pumpkins, Goldfrapp whoever or some shows aswell.
    It would be boom time for shops, pubs, hotels etc.
    It seems a no-brainer.
    The opera centre just looks like another Arthurs Quay which would have had the same sports-shops etc in it.

Do dunnes own sarsfield st, i'm guessing so, they should not be allowed to keep it derelict, i'm guessing they only built so many dunnes in limk to keep out m&s.
    It should be demolished + turned into dunnes park. They obviously won't sell site as they don't want competition. They also have eyesore in o.connell street.

Do dunnes own sarsfield st, i'm guessing so, they should not be allowed to keep it derelict, i'm guessing they only built so many dunnes in limk to keep out m&s.
    It should be demolished + turned into dunnes park. They obviously won't sell site as they don't want competition. They also have eyesore in o.connell street.

For some reason I thought they were leasing the Sarsfield street building and did not own it. If they own it, then the City Council should be applying pressure on them to do something with it. It would also be a good site for a cinema multiplex.

That O'Connell Street empty unit is a joke too. A big empty unit smack in the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Have all businesses moved out of the Sarsfield St building or is it just Dunnes? I used to love the fish and chips from Harry's cafe in there. Is that still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Have all businesses moved out of the Sarsfield St building or is it just Dunnes? I used to love the fish and chips from Harry's cafe in there. Is that still there?

He is closed. Harry once told me that he was about to move out just before they closed and was looking at other premises but nothing ever came from it.

If they both simply retired then better for them, they have worked hard for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement