Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Actually whats their twitter, may look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

phill106 wrote: »
    Actually whats their twitter, may look at it!

http://twitter.com/#!/LimerickOffice

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

must be going blind but i can not see anything about this thread

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

kilburn wrote: »

Me either :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

+1.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    Talk on twitter of this thread. Limerick Coordination Office not happy about it as "many" of the businesses listed have since reopened. :rolleyes:

Any chance of a link to the relevant tweets? It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I always find it fun to see reactions to Boards.ie in other media. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I think the discussion is here:

http://twitter.com/#!/LauraMR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

shop/petrol station on newport road closed about 3weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is that Laura Ryans own Twitter or the Limerick office one?

some of the tweets arent much use,just talking bout random stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick co-ordination office only need to take a look around the city centre to see it's a shambles! Back from a day in Dublin and it was buzzing! Now I know it's the capital and all but Limerick is no village either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Talk on twitter of this thread. Limerick Coordination Office not happy about it as "many" of the businesses listed have since reopened. :rolleyes:

I don't know what she's been drinking because a quick drive around Limerick will show you nothing but closed shops and very little if any reopening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The city center is on it's knees, all the positive thinking in the world won't replace the fact that it's a shambles with no focal point. How many empty units on Cruises St now? 6? Bedford Row/Thomas Street is doing ok and looking well, but all it is has done is spread an already thin crowd of shoppers even further apart. There is no buzz around the town. It's dead.

Spending a fortune doing up William St won't make a difference if it's the same grotty shop fronts lining it. Same with down the side of Roches, lovely new big wide footpaths, but no shops! My girlfriend asked the other day if we would go into the city shopping, but we couldn't find a single reason to go in there. Your choice is desperately limited.

+1.

Any chance of a link to the relevant tweets? It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I always find it fun to see reactions to Boards.ie in other media. :)

Found out where it started i think

roryfeehan Rory Feehan
    by Newstalkfm@
    @Newstalkfm @jonathanhealy 110+ businesses have closed in Limerick City in the past 18 months. List here - boards.ie/vbulletin/show…
    17 Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

if she had done her research like all journalists do ! she would have found the limerick business opening thread and the mentions of business moving !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

if she had done her research like all good journalists do ! she would have found the limerick business opening thread and the mentions of business moving !

Fixed that for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good news doesn't sell newspapers like bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bazz26 wrote: »
    Good news doesn't sell newspapers like bad news.

Quite true it is a better headline maker.

The other side of that coin is often non news gets dressed up as good news in order to to fabricate a sense of substance where there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

L.T.P. wrote: »

had my first job in Arramount :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Geez,just the spin of of Arromount,you couldnt pick up a daily paper with out seeing their add with the horrible bunk bed and the shiney coffee table, and i thought there was a great turnover in furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Lim coord has no problem with this thread. the unhappiness was directed at newstalk for only reporting the negative without mentioning several new openings.
    newstalk the week previously had a throwaway comment while discussing the london riots saying "We havent seen anything like this here, except maybe in limerick"... which had already gotten the LCO frustrated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

If she's so worried about Limerick beign in trouble then why not approach the council to take on board some of the issues raised!

Clearly she's just worried about her job as it seems that there's very little co-ord being done as regards the closing down

• Advertisement

constantg wrote: »
    If she's so worried about Limerick beign in trouble then why not approach the council to take on board some of the issues raised!

Clearly she's just worried about her job as it seems that there's very little co-ord being done as regards the closing down

my typo, its the communications office. Their job is to organise press relating to Limerick, to monitor and campaign for fair coverage of the city. A news station implying that we have "riots" is the sort of stuff they have to take a stand on. Dublin is the only recent riot I can think of with Love Ulster parade. Its got nothing to do with her worrying about her job, its her doing her job.

zuroph wrote: »
    my typo, its the communications office. Their job is to organise press relating to Limerick, to monitor and campaign for fair coverage of the city. A news station implying that we have "riots" is the sort of stuff they have to take a stand on. Dublin is the only recent riot I can think of with Love Ulster parade. Its got nothing to do with her worrying about her job, its her doing her job.

Might not be a riot.....but still gotta admit it doesn't look good.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkpSgBMVOk

zuroph wrote: »
    Dublin is the only recent riot I can think of with Love Ulster parade.

We're not counting the Knacker faction fights in Drogheda/Dundalk/Athlone then?

Might not be a riot.....but still gotta admit it doesn't look good.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkpSgBMVOk

thank god there isn't cars stolen anywhere else in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Are you seriously equating one man in a stolen car to a load of idiot scumbags breaking up a city, burning down very old beautiful buildings, attacking police and society as a whole and looting everything they can find that's not nailed down?

Because let me tell you they are two very different crimes. Cars are stolen in every Hamlet, Village, Town and City across this and every other country. No in one sense it doesn't look good. But on another level it shows that Gardai actually do the job (despite what a lot of people will tell you).

We're not counting the Knacker faction fights in Drogheda/Dundalk/Athlone then?

are you trying to help me prove my point ore just arguing for the sake of it?? yes, further places with riots which werent mentioned, instead the lazy journo went with "maybe in Limerick", which has had none. Limerick Comms are realistic about our image as a city, but when we get slighted for no good reason, its good to have someone to officially complain and make counter-representations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Ok back on topic. Did anyone else notice that quote in the Leader (I think) where a source close to the management of Trinity Rooms said that the club would be closed indefinitely due to the derelict buildings posing a hazard nearby. Was sure they would re-open in September. Looks like that isn't going to happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ok back on topic. Did anyone else notice that quote in the Leader (I think) where a source close to the management of Trinity Rooms said that the club would be closed indefinitely due to the derelict buildings posing a hazard nearby. Was sure they would re-open in September. Looks like that isn't going to happen.

I thought it reopened last week! Somebody must have misinformed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

By Alan Owens
    Published on Friday 19 August 2011 13:30

A FIRE at the site of the proposed Opera Centre has sparked further concerns over the continuing dereliction of the area.

THREE units of Limerick Fire Service and local gardai attended the scene of the fire at a derelict building on Rutland Street. The building forms part of the stalled ‘Opera Centre’ development and is located next to the Trinity Rooms nightclub, which has remained closed since July as a result of problems associated with the neighbouring site, which has lain dormant for several years.

Gardai from Henry Street also attended the scene, but told the Limerick Leader that they were not aware of any suspicious behaviour or reports of anti-social behaviour at the scene.

A source close to Trinity Rooms management told the Leader that the fire “just highlights the overall problem that is there, and the dangers that exist on all sides”.

“It is an ongoing problem and it is nearly a year since the disrepair those buildings are in was highlighted and that we could have a situation similar to Cork where they collapsed.” They added that the nightclub would remain closed indefinitely for “health and safety and legal reasons and duty of care to customers and staff”, while the issues with the Opera Centre remained unresolved.

While moves are taking place behind the scenes to encourage some kind of development in the site, traders and business owners in the area around the Opera Centre are growing increasingly nervous as to the derelict nature of the site.

The site has been in limbo for some four years since it was first mooted as a flagship development for the city centre, encompassing more than 40 individual properties, which have now largely all fallen into disrepair.

Link: http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/concerns_following_fire_at_opera_centre_site_1_2976780

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Sure it wasn't even a proper car chase. It was more 'lets have the sirens on while we sit in Friday traffic'

On the subject of Trooms, sure when did they ever care about the health and safety of their customers?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement