Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

I have it on good authority the "legal" issues keeping Trinity rooms is closed is nothing to do with the rats etc...can't say much more than that though.

i will if you want haha..

we all know its BS, they closed for 2 months last summer for "renovation" moved the dj box that was done in two weeks and remained closed, they cant afford to keep in business, but dont give up hope just yet, its august and september soon, licensing month

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

More job losses.:(

JOB LOSSES AT A PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY IN LIMERICK
    26 August 2011It's thought up to forty jobs will be lost at a pharmaceutical distribution company in Limerick as they seek to reduce costs.
    Staff at United Drug on Clare Street have been informed that the evening and weekend shift work will transfer to Dublin and Ballina by the end of October.
    Voluntary redundancies are being sought from the day shift and drivers have also been informed that their positions are to be outsourced.
    Workers are said to be devastated at the news - some of them have worked with United Drug in Limerick for nearly 40 years.
    SIPTU are to meet with the company in the coming weeks to discuss the job losses and redundancy terms.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/job-losses-at-a-pharmaceutical-company-in-limerick/2d0011e4-b776-4d53-a897-1e7ffcc3b285

Funny how politicians and others who wanted their name in the papers were all waxing lyrical when Analog announced that there would up to 100 new jobs over a five year period. It was claimed that 100 new jobs over five years was a massive boost to Limerick, yet between United Drugs and Trinity rooms that 100 job total has been almost wiped out in one go, and it did not take five years for the near 100 jobs to go.

The constant stream of job losses in Limerick seems to be papered over and ignored by politicians, the City Council, and the wannabe Z Listers who try to pretend in media releases that Limerick is some kind of boom town.

The release of the January to June signing on figures did not get a lot of publicity either, figures that showed that the number of people signing on in Limerick city and County rose again during the first six month of the year.

Last month saw 28 people a day lose their job in Limerick.

June saw an average of 20 people a day lose their jobs.

August sees Limerick making up almost 5% of the nation's unemployment numbers, despite Limerick (city and county) only making up almost 3% of the population of Ireland.

The country is in a bad way jobwise, we all know this. But the national average is almost 14% which is a shocking figure in itself, but when we look at Limerick that figure jumps to a massive degree from the national average with 16,490 out of work in the city, and a further 7,000 or so in the county.

In the 2006 census Limerick had 14.7% unemployment (the census before that was 11%), again way above the national average at that time, yet only five years later the figure for Limerick city is heading for 25%.

It will get to the stage where businesses just won't come to Limerick to set up in any great numbers because the bs spouted locally about how vibrant/bustling/busy Limerick is may fool locals but it sure as hell won't fool businesses for whom the bottom line is all that matters.

Maybe our Mayor can come out with some more genius comments like the ones made of late regarding as to why Cork and Galway seem so much busier than Limerick. Apparantly it is an illusion as the massive streets of Limerick make the huge crowds look smaller than they do in Galway and Cork.

Shame things like unemployment figures, footfall and sales figures don't back up the illusion of being busy theory about Galway and Cork :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Kess73 wrote: »
    More job losses.:(

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/job-losses-at-a-pharmaceutical-company-in-limerick/2d0011e4-b776-4d53-a897-1e7ffcc3b285

Maybe our Mayor can come out with some more genius comments like the ones made of late regarding as to why Cork and Galway seem so much busier than Limerick. Apparantly it is an illusion as the massive streets of Limerick make the huge crowds look smaller than they do in Galway and Cork.

Shame things like unemployment figures, footfall and sales figures don't back up the illusion of being busy theory about Galway and Cork :rolleyes:

Classic I love that the man is an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

shop/petrol station on newport road closed about 3weeks
    Is that the Great Gas in Lisnagry?
    I know that's closed, I had a call (merchandising) there about two weeks and after driving the whols way out, it was closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Shades of Beauty on Foxes Bow is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

P.W. McMahon O'Brien auctioneers closed down last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Bevvie wrote: »

Has anything apart from the outdoor & pet shop ever lasted on that street?

And even those two are finding the pinch, as I have been told in regular conversations with the owner of one of those stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Bevvie wrote: »

Haven't they just moved to Thomas street?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

The headshop there still seems to be packing them in :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Any shop in limerick that sells drugs & guns will always do well.

Well drug paraphenalia & airsoft guns but still :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

L.T.P. wrote: »

That is a huge surprise, I am just shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

HSI is a shocking one!

That's a shame. A number of decent folk losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Wow! thought those private colleges were money-making machines.

Hope the staff find work, hopefully Griffith College can take on some if they're getting in students from Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

europa11 wrote: »
    Wow! thought those private colleges were money-making machines.

Hope the staff find work, hopefully Griffith College can take on some if they're getting in students from Macs.

Most private colleges would also get students from private companies who wanted to train their staff to do something in particular. Those companies, needless to say, may not have the funds to spend money on internal education so there is probably a large dose of funds gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Wow... cant believe HSI has ceased operations. Think everyone in Limerick knows someone or has a connection with a former student.

What am I coming home to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

I was just looking through the full list and I didn't see Limerick Plant Hire (33 Henry Street) who closed some time ago. Building is still empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

HSI has been struggling for a while. Its a real shame:(

• Advertisement

Wow... cant believe HSI has ceased operations. Think everyone in Limerick knows someone or has a connection with a former student.

What am I coming home to :(

Probably Raiser wearing his "special" suit for you. :p

Gimp-Pulp-Fiction.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Shocked at HSI, knew a few people that went there and also a mate that lectures there. Was even looking into doing a course there myself recently.

The thing about this recession and lots of people being out of work, it gives them a great oppurtunity to head back into education and upskill, and to keep themselves busy for the next few years while things (hopefully) improve.....but now people in Limerick have one less option to do this. Depressing stuff altogether :(

Shocked at HSI, knew a few people that went there and also a mate that lectures there. Was even looking into doing a course there myself recently.

The thing about this recession and lots of people being out of work, it gives them a great oppurtunity to head back into education and upskill, and to keep themselves busy for the next few years while things (hopefully) improve.....but now people in Limerick have one less option to do this. Depressing stuff altogether :(

Would reckon that most that find themselves out of work are more worried about meeting mortgage payments/loan payments/feeding themselves and kids etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would reckon that most that find themselves out of work are more worried about meeting mortgage payments/loan payments/feeding themselves and kids etc.

Oh yeah I agree, I'm just thinking of those that can get the necessary grants or whatever and that can actually afford it, the back to education route obviously isnt for everyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Flutered, I've temp. removed your post until we can get it backed up with a source of some sort. I'll put it straight back in if it turns out you were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My mam actually went HSI, she said it was a great place.

I've no link but I was on Lower Griffan St, just across from Old Windmill Medical Centre, the charity shop beside the dog groomers is closed, there's a "to let" sign on the window.
    >:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Sera wrote: »
    My mam actually went HSI, she said it was a great place.

I've no link but I was on Lower Griffan St, just across from Old Windmill Medical Centre, the charity shop beside the dog groomers is closed, there's a "to let" sign on the window.
    >:
    There also used to be a brilliant charity shop where that dog groomers was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ron G

Star Elm have left a trail of destruction behind them with a fortune owed to trade creditors..its a real shame for staff who have lost jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

it really is so depressing going into limerick city now, every second shop is closed down :(
    if this recession keeps going i can see no future for limk city at all, brown thomas and debenhams are gonna shut doors, followed closley by boots, tesco, dunnes and limk city will turn in to a ghost town.
    it's so sad :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement