Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pushki wrote: »
    it really is so depressing going into limerick city now, every second shop is closed down :(
    if this recession keeps going i can see no future for limk city at all, brown thomas and debenhams are gonna shut doors, followed closley by boots, tesco, dunnes and limk city will turn in to a ghost town.
    it's so sad :(

That kind of pessimism and scare-mongering will do nothing to improve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Star Elm gone

I know the name star elm but I can't place them any info please

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ron G

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Star Elm gone

I know the name star elm but I can't place them any info please

Window company in Limerick.Went into liquidation a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

pushki wrote: »
    it really is so depressing going into limerick city now, every second shop is closed down :(
    if this recession keeps going i can see no future for limk city at all, brown thomas and debenhams are gonna shut doors, followed closley by boots, tesco, dunnes and limk city will turn in to a ghost town.
    it's so sad :(

I agree, the council and planners have an awful lot to answer for :mad:

Ron G wrote: »

Window company in Limerick.Went into liquidation a few days ago

Thanks Ron G
    I remember them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ron G wrote: »
    Star Elm have left a trail of destruction behind them with a fortune owed to trade creditors..its a real shame for staff who have lost jobs

I applied for a job there as a sales person and never got anything back. I rang up and the girl said that rough estimates were that 2000+ people had applied for one job. Fair enough I guess.

Only recently though I saw a few Star Elm vans which were 2011 so they were still spending money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I applied for a job there as a sales person and never got anything back. I rang up and the girl said that rough estimates were that 2000+ people had applied for one job. Fair enough I guess.

Only recently though I saw a few Star Elm vans which were 2011 so they were still spending money though.

I heard that Rex Banner phoned them and told them not to hire ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Did an interview for a job there and the ignorant muppets never got back to me either way which is totally unprofessional

kilburn wrote: »
    Did an interview for a job there and the ignorant muppets never got back to me either way which is totally unprofessional

Pretty common nowadays for a business not to bother to reply to people who were not successful in interviews.

Don't like that practise myself to be honest. I know that it was a must anywhere I worked that either I or anyone who did the interviews in my stead sent some kind of reply to anyone unsuccessful candidate.

Depending on the role applied for and how close the person came to actually getting the role, there was either a letter, phonecall, or email sent to each person to let them know that they had not gotten the job. If I am going to the effort of interviewing people, and applicants are going to the effort of coming in to be interviewed then the least that can be done is some closure offered on each unsuccessful interview.

For me it is a basic courtesy that is easily extended to an applicant, plus it reflects well on whatever company I am with as people do tend to remember the companies that do and don't send a reply, as your post proves.

The job I have right now. I understand the 100's of e-mails were received. It was advertised on jobs.ie but the employer name was kept confidential.

100's of e-mails were received and because they were all e-mails they got an automated thanks but no thanks. At least if social welfare ask for something they'd have it.

The guy I replaced was not doing well in the role and was being replaced. Anyway, he applied for his own job without knowing. :D

• Advertisement

The job I have right now. I understand the 100's of e-mails were received. It was advertised on jobs.ie but the employer name was kept confidential.

100's of e-mails were received and because they were all e-mails they got an automated thanks but no thanks. At least if social welfare ask for something they'd have it.

The guy I replaced was not doing well in the role and was being replaced. Anyway, he applied for his own job without knowing. :D

I have no problem with a person not getting a reply for an application as often sheer volume and/or the involvement of outside recruitment agencies makes it impractical. But once it gets to the stage where people are physically attending interviews, then my attitude is that everyone that attends gets a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Kess73 wrote: »
    I have no problem with a person not getting a reply for an application as often sheer volume and/or the involvement of outside recruitment agencies makes it impractical. But once it gets to the stage where people are physically attending interviews, then my attitude is that everyone that attends gets a reply.

Have to disagree; if you're bothering your arse in putting time and effort into applying, then the LEAST the company can do is send an email/letter as either confirmation of receipt of your application and/or a polite unsuccessful reply.

It's very unprofessional to do otherwise and in my mind raises questions regarding the kind of company to which you were applying in the first place....

constantg wrote: »
    It's very unprofessional to do otherwise and in my mind raises questions regarding the kind of company to which you were applying in the first place....

Frankly it was happening during the boom times as well. I think it is good manners to reply but then again, these days at least, people are applying for jobs just for the sake of it increasing the numbers of applications putting a large burden on employers to dedicate time to reply.

Have to disagree; if you're bothering your arse in putting time and effort into applying, then the LEAST the company can do is send an email/letter as either confirmation of receipt of your application and/or a polite unsuccessful reply.

Star elm had a vacancy that 2000 people applied for if they sent a reply to everyone it would have cost them €1100 in stamps not to mention paying staff to do the replys

A lot of the time the actual company does not get to see most of the applications if there is a recruitment company involved in the process. The company only gets what the agency sends on to them, so it would be impossible for the company to reply to those people seeing as they never saw the applications to start with.

Very different if it is a company that advertises the vacancies and recieves all the applications itself and has a dedicated HR dept, but then again what if it is a tiny business that only has three or four staff at a time, and it recieves 2,000 applications for one role? A business that small may not be able to affors to send out 2,000 letters of confirmation or be able to lose the man hours needed to send 2,000 emails as the manager may be the owner and there is no HR dept etc.

I generally agree with the gist that applicants should be responded to, but I also know that the point at which an application warrants a response has to vary from company to company based on the volumes of applications and the resources of the business.

The minimum standard, imho of course, should be that all those who are interviewed get a reply.

Star Elm, and I appreciate we are drifting away from the point of the thread, advertised the position(s) directly on the internet so they might have also used Recruitment agencies as well. Still, as most applications would have come in by e-mail there would not be such a high cost in replying by post because replying by e-mail would be available to them.

Again though. I wonder if the company should have to reply to EVERY application. I have never expected a reply from a company but I am always disappointed when they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Star elm had a vacancy that 2000 people applied for if they sent a reply to everyone it would have cost them €1100 in stamps not to mention paying staff to do the replys

Star elm interviewd 5 people for that job and didnt have the courtesy to inform the 4 who did not get it either way 2 euro in stamps, says a lot about the company in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Star Elm, and I appreciate we are drifting away from the point of the thread, advertised the position(s) directly on the internet so they might have also used Recruitment agencies as well. Still, as most applications would have come in by e-mail there would not be such a high cost in replying by post because replying by e-mail would be available to them.

Again though. I wonder if the company should have to reply to EVERY application. I have never expected a reply from a company but I am always disappointed when they do not.

Have to totally agree. Its not just Star Elm, I hate when you apply for any job and go for an interview and more than likely stress yourself to the bones and then at the interview the interviewer normally says Il be in touch soon. They do realise what It means to get in touch dont they. All it would take is a quick email or letter to say they are not interested. If they are using recruitment agencies or sites like jobs.ie or any of those the likelihood is they can afford to pay big money to advertise the job so can they not have the courtesy to even call you. Call from a mobile sure. Dont most of the networks have free calls these days lol

kilburn wrote: »
    Star elm interviewd 5 people for that job and didnt have the courtesy to inform the 4 who did not get it either way 2 euro in stamps, says a lot about the company in my opinion.

100% agree that those interviewed should have at least gotten a basic PFO letter or email with the usual we will be keeping your cv on file line thrown in at some point. It is not difficult to have a PFO template saved and all that would have to be done is put the right name for each letter.

I know that in one of the companies I worked with in the late 90's we phoned every unsuccessful applicant that had done an interview with us, and in later jobs while I tended to send a letter to every failed applicant the ones that were very close to getting the role always got a phonecall. It was still the same crappy news for them, but at least it was given in a more personal manner and by me asking them during the conversation if I could hold their cv on file it kinda gave them one last bit of control in the process, at least that was my logic anyway.

What I will say is that some of the worst companies, or rather branches of well known companies, that I have come across for no replies to interviews are here in Limerick and certainly some of the worst recruitment agencies in terms of their filtering process and their general communication/feedback skills.

Have to totally agree. Its not just Star Elm, I hate when you apply for any job and go for an interview and more than likely stress yourself to the bones and then at the interview the interviewer normally says Il be in touch soon. They do realise what It means to get in touch dont they. All it would take is a quick email or letter to say they are not interested. If they are using recruitment agencies or sites like jobs.ie or any of those the likelihood is they can afford to pay big money to advertise the job so can they not have the courtesy to even call you. Call from a mobile sure. Dont most of the networks have free calls these days lol

Right lads, let's all send CVs to Lulus Cafe. If we don't all get a nice reply we can hunt Dar here down, Limerick forum style.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

The new Deli beside Slattery's on Fr Russell road closed last week and Slattery's has cut its opening hours right down. Probably be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I went to Sla's in Ballycummin, at around half 5 on Saturday, closed. Went to Tonys in Raheen, busy, and the chips were a lot lot nicer! Will be going there in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The new Deli beside Slattery's on Fr Russell road closed last week and Slattery's has cut its opening hours right down. Probably be next.

Didn't last long! :(

The new yorker sandwich from there was lethal. Nordic bread, pastrami, emmethal cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and sweet relish. Drool.

The place did feck all business though. Might of had more luck in town.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah I went to Sla's in Ballycummin, at around half 5 on Saturday, closed. Went to Tonys in Raheen, busy, and the chips were a lot lot nicer! Will be going there in future.

Slatterys in Ballycummin is gone.

And Clohessy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

And Clohessy's.

The Pub itself is closed down ?

~B

As far as i know. Heard it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And Clohessy's.