Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kess73 wrote: »
    Slatterys in Ballycummin is gone.

What? I suppose with Clohessys closed their footfall dwindled - Damn City Council :D

Anyways their chips werent that great either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Mc Love wrote: »
    What? I suppose with Clohessys closed their footfall dwindled - Damn City Council :D

Thats the county council :p

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Isn't Clohessys gone a good few months?

Start of august i think. It hadn't been mentioned on the thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

The new Deli beside Slattery's on Fr Russell road closed last week and Slattery's has cut its opening hours right down. Probably be next.

Went by the Slattery's on Fr Russell Road today with sign up 'closed for renovations'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Start of august i think. It hadn't been mentioned on the thread though.

I'm pretty sure this thread is where I heard it had gone

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72757284&highlight=Ballycummin#post72757284

• Advertisement

Ha. Rightly missed that one! June!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

means that stretch of units is empty now. Pub, chipper,restaurant, and dry cleaners all closed.

d1980 wrote: »
    Went by the Slattery's on Fr Russell Road today with sign up 'closed for renovations'.

Does not sound good as on Saturday they had a sign up saying the shorter opening hours was only until the 20th.

The chinese/milkshake place near Centra in Raheen is closed too. An italian restaurant in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Does not sound good as on Saturday they had a sign up saying the shorter opening hours was only until the 20th.
    No it doesn't sound good, the unit is pretty fresh so not sure what they could be doing. The new chipper by South Court seems to be flying. Centra always seems to be pull a crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Slattery's in Fr Russell Rd, thought was open last Saturday, even though the deli section was closed, recently they were actually advertising for staff!!! amazing how quickly things change if now they are doing shorter opening hours. Was looking forward to trying the deli but its was closed anytime I went over and only got to look at a delicious menu :(

The Sparshop in Racefield is dreadful dunno how the place is still open
    I can see that place closing and Centra taking over in the area as Centra
    appears to be a gold mine with a massive turnover of customers
    (anyone sitting on one of the seats outside the place at lunch time watching the pure volume of traffic going through the place in 15-20 mins would be stunned)

When I've gone to spar there is a stark contrast there there are kids running the place, and 1 person at the checkouts and only 1 or 2 others working on the floor. Prices are way higher than Centra up the road which are high enough. 1.39 for a Tin of Whiskas Cat food compared to about 89c in Centra. They surely cant maintain so few staff, such little customers compared to the competition up the road, which is also now got its own chipper.

Milk Shake bar in front of the Chinese (ex Jewellery store) in Courtfields had
    a lot of work going on today, One of the staff from the Chinese (fella with spikey hair that lives in the bookies!) seemed to be directing workers so wondering if they were now offering Italian and Chinese in the same unit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Slatterys had it sown up for a while but the new Chipper owned by Centra up the road is surely doing them damage.

First of all they had the New York Pizza Place(cant remember what they called it) and it was not a good business venture for them. The other brother then opened the one in Ballycumin and it was doing well of course so then they opened Fr Russell Road. They had said it was doing a roaring trade. So they had both sides of Raheen and Dooradoyle to themselves really until Centra opened theirs and the other place, Snackshack(still open ? ).

Nice lads.

Not a business as such but a service! Looks like Mary Street Garda Station could be shutting up shop in the near future!

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/mary-street-garda-station-could-close-for-good/5b0e1dab-97bc-4b60-a1ee-51c66bdb0a69

bullets wrote: »
    Slattery's in Fr Russell Rd, thought was open last Saturday, even though the deli section was closed, recently they were actually advertising for staff!!! amazing how quickly things change if now they are doing shorter opening hours. Was looking forward to trying the deli but its was closed anytime I went over and only got to look at a delicious menu :(

The Sparshop in Racefield is dreadful dunno how the place is still open
    I can see that place closing and Centra taking over in the area as Centra
    appears to be a gold mine with a massive turnover of customers
    (anyone sitting on one of the seats outside the place at lunch time watching the pure volume of traffic going through the place in 15-20 mins would be stunned)

When I've gone to spar there is a stark contrast there there are kids running the place, and 1 person at the checkouts and only 1 or 2 others working on the floor. Prices are way higher than Centra up the road which are high enough. 1.39 for a Tin of Whiskas Cat food compared to about 89c in Centra. They surely cant maintain so few staff, such little customers compared to the competition up the road, which is also now got its own chipper.

Milk Shake bar in front of the Chinese (ex Jewellery store) in Courtfields had
    a lot of work going on today, One of the staff from the Chinese (fella with spikey hair that lives in the bookies!) seemed to be directing workers so wondering if they were now offering Italian and Chinese in the same unit :D

Tom and Brenda Ryan are two very savvy owners and it is no surprise that their stores by the Southcourt have been doing so well for years now. They are very good at hiring the right people for the right roles, and have a great hands on attitude to their businesses.

David Speiran is another who is cut from the same savvy business man cloth. He used to own the Spar in the Greenpark centre near Ballinacurra road and currently has a store in Adare. Very clever retailer (in a good sense) who really has a great feel for retail and all it entails.

The Spar you mentioned in your post is a bit of a joke and I could tell a few horror stories about how it was run in the past, as well as a few "interesting" tales involving other Spar and Centra stores, but I don't want to name names, better to use names for the more complementary comments

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Slatterys had it sown up for a while but the new Chipper owned by Centra up the road is surely doing them damage.

First of all they had the New York Pizza Place(cant remember what they called it) and it was not a good business venture for them. The other brother then opened the one in Ballycumin and it was doing well of course so then they opened Fr Russell Road. They had said it was doing a roaring trade. So they had both sides of Raheen and Dooradoyle to themselves really until Centra opened theirs and the other place, Snackshack(still open ? ).

Nice lads.

They are indeed. Really hope something clicks and sticks for them longterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Naryclaire

Tom and Brenda Ryan are two very savvy owners and it is no surprise that their stores by the Southcourt have been doing so well for years now. They are very good at hiring the right people for the right roles, and have a great hands on attitude to their businesses.

David Speiran is another who is cut from the same savvy business man cloth. He used to own the Spar in the Greenpark centre near Ballinacurra road and currently has a store in Adare. Very clever retailer (in a good sense) who really has a great feel for retail and all it entails.

The Spar you mentioned in your post is a bit of a joke and I could tell a few horror stories about how it was run in the past, as well as a few "interesting" tales involving other Spar and Centra stores, but I don't want to name names, better to use names for the more complementary comments

-Ah you have to tell us now! In fairness that Centra is great to go into. Never out of stuff, never saw any trouble in it, and the deli is actually open (in contrast to another local shop that seems to keep its deli for sentimental reasons at this stage). Definitely best-run shop of its kind in Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

They won centra of the year a few years back afaik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    They won centra of the year a few years back afaik!

And as far as i know the centra in Clarina is run by a family member and is also extremely well run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

And as far as i know the centra in Clarina is run by a family member and is also extremely well run.

the centra in clarina is actually being run by a manager i worked with in a large supermarket in limerick and than he got a regional manager with musgraves and left last year to open his own shop very nice man and great location too his brains in his head when it comes to a business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Jack and Jones on Bedford Row is to close in 3 weeks according to tomorrows Limerick Post. Crescent store not affected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

FFS:mad:

That's sh*t news! :( I thought of all the shops on Bedford Row that was nearly the most profitable!

Bedford Row better not go like Cruises street. If they close Schuh my head will explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

tommy249 wrote: »
    Jack and Jones on Bedford Row is to close in 3 weeks according to tomorrows Limerick Post. Crescent store not affected

This doesnt come as a surprise though in 1 way. If i do recall this announcement was mqde by J&J some months back. I do recall a sign being placed in the window of the cresent store something regardibg store closures but cresent been unaffected. Still sad all the same. A beautiful street. Hope it wont become like Cruises st. Slightly off topic whilst still on topic, Does this once again raise the question regarding commercial rates and how they are killing businesses in the city centre? Although it may appear that lowering rates would lead to a drop in tevenue for the city council, it would most likely have the opposite effect as it may lead to a surge in the uptake of commercial premises in the city boundary due to lower rents which are already been offered

This doesnt come as a surprise though in 1 way. If i do recall this announcement was mqde by J&J some months back. I do recall a sign being placed in the window of the cresent store something regardibg store closures but cresent been unaffected. Still sad all the same. A beautiful street. Hope it wont become like Cruises st. Slightly off topic whilst still on topic, Does this once again raise the question regarding commercial rates and how they are killing businesses in the city centre? Although it may appear that lowering rates would lead to a drop in tevenue for the city council, it would most likely have the opposite effect as it may lead to a surge in the uptake of commercial premises in the city boundary due to lower rents which are already been offered

Nah, you will just have various councillors coming out to make claims that the Parkway Valley centre will close stores in Limerick, whilst all the time ignoring the fact that stores have been closing at a frightening rate for the last three years with rates not getting any substantial reduction during that time, despite most other cities and towns bringing in rate cuts that were as high as 25% in some places

The Limerick city rate cut? 0.25%! Yep one quarter of one percent.

Regardless of whether the Parkway valley centre starts construction or not, the city centre is just going to continue to lose business after business and very little will be said about it and even less done, not when people can try and scaremonger about a project that has not even gotten PP yet.

For a number of months this year the rate of businesses closing in Limerick was holding steady at 9 closing each week. This figure was published in the media yet at local level it did not seem a shocking enough figure to warrant concern nor did it provoke any response from the previous mayor or the current mayor comparable to how vocal they have been about the Parkway Valley. Guess soundbytes that make it seem like you are doing something is preferable to actual doing something to those in positions to actually decision make.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A friend of mine works in J&J ... that's awful news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Wonder how much of their revenue will have to dissappear before they realise they'll have to drop the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer Baron wrote: »

Nice lads.

Dont forget Tony's by Raheen Foodstores! Really surprised by them and its busy all the time, tried it out last week and it was much nicer than Sla's

And for the staff in J&J they are being moved to other stores and the range is being made available in seduzca in Willum st.

Is J&J the first one on that stretch to close? Really cant believe it. And I also do hope that schuh stays although when I went in last week one of the shop assistants said they were bored!!
    That cant be good

Dont forget Tony's by Raheen Foodstores! Really surprised by them and its busy all the time, tried it out last week and it was much nicer than Sla's

And for the staff in J&J they are being moved to other stores and the range is being made available in seduzca in Willum st.

Is J&J the first one on that stretch to close? Really cant believe it. And I also do hope that schuh stays although when I went in last week one of the shop assistants said they were bored!!
    That cant be good

From what I gather they were all offered the chance to move to other stores but given that the Crescent store is the only other J&J store in Limerick, the offers will be for stores in other counties so the nearest stores as in Tralee, Cork and Galway, with Kilkenny and Waterford being the closest after those. So some of the staff may not be able to take the jobs elsewhere due to commute/rent costs.

Now that is not J & J's fault, and they have at least offered real jobs to the staff as an option, but it may still result in people joining the dole lines.

Have a horrible feeling that over the next 12 months Bedford Row will go the way of Sarsfield street in terms of retail units closing. Hope I get proven very wrong on that though and that something somehow manages to increase both footfall and average spend in the area. Anyone who knows personally any of the retailers who were on Sarsfield street will know exactly the problems they had and why they felt that leaving was the best solution for their businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Golf Experience on Henry Street is gone as well......

J&J was a horrible place to work according to my cuz who was there for a few months. Also costs of clothing must be factored in. I'm unemployed and could rarely afford any of their wares. Retailing like that in a city as poor as this....?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement