Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sleepyman wrote: »
    Not a bad idea.
    Personally though I think that would be a great site for an indoor music/events area -the Limerick O2.
    It seems the only time there's big numbers in the city is when there are Munster games or the Concerts last year.
    Imagine if every week you had the Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Lady Gaga, Smashing Pumpkins, Goldfrapp whoever or some shows aswell.
    It would be boom time for shops, pubs, hotels etc.
    It seems a no-brainer.
    The opera centre just looks like another Arthurs Quay which would have had the same sports-shops etc in it.

I love that idea.

Speaking of music venues, there was a lot of activity at the Theatre Royal this morning. Looked like a lot of work was being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Its all empty now dunnes decided to move out. Harrys yum cheap cheerful food, totally unhealthy but bargain prices. Gone ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Men clothing Shop Nuvo in the Parkway seems to be closed - Think its the McGovern Family who also have Jack and Jones in the Crescent as well as the Shop across from the Bookshop etc. etc.

- Still though its another sign of the imminent death of the Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

One of the old rumours was the Roches Stores actually owned the building and were leasing it to Dunnes and prior to them selling up to Debenhams, they were due to move down there and re-open their foodhall and continue to use the other building for their concession business's.

M&S would only be suitable there if there was parking so the whole building really would have to come down, the ground would have to be dug down 2 or 3 levels for underground parking and then completely rebuilt with a nice wrap around glass building with a M&S cafe to look over the bridge, river and park.

First, send over a team of brickies and brick up the "hotel"(if you want to call it that) across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I see a "Cash 4 Gold" place opened on O'Connell avenue among all the Georgian buildings that used to have the estate agents/solicitor offices that now have to let/for sale signs on them. Another sign of the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cash4Gold, Euro discount stores, Fast Food Outlets...I despair when I think about O' Connell St these days.
    Maybe a word from our esteemed Mayor on the decline would be nice. Oh wait no, city centre businesses tried that and were told their anger wasn't becoming of city hall decorum.

Aidric wrote: »
    Cash4Gold, Euro discount stores, Fast Food Outlets...I despair when I think about O' Connell St these days.
    Maybe a word from our esteemed Mayor on the decline would be nice. Oh wait no, city centre businesses tried that and were told their anger wasn't becoming of city hall decorum.

Have you been into Limerick City Centre recently?

Its like the Village of The Dammed but scarier, the People on the Street all twitchy and vacant-eyed lurching through the rubbish from Burger Gaff to 2 Euro Store seeking out the bargain before their liquor runs out.

- The Mayor is too busy persecuting the Polish Folk to really care......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Raiser wrote: »

- Still though its another sign of the imminent death of the Parkway.
    "New medical centre proposed for Parkway could have up to 60 full-time jobs"
    Link

Not that it would help the shopping centre a great deal but it might be some positive news.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

Berty wrote: »
    One of the old rumours was the Roches Stores actually owned the building and were leasing it to Dunnes and prior to them selling up to Debenhams, they were due to move down there and re-open their foodhall and continue to use the other building for their concession business's.

M&S would only be suitable there if there was parking so the whole building really would have to come down, the ground would have to be dug down 2 or 3 levels for underground parking and then completely rebuilt with a nice wrap around glass building with a M&S cafe to look over the bridge, river and park.

First, send over a team of brickies and brick up the "hotel"(if you want to call it that) across the road.
    I'm with you on that-nothing against the people there but it looks a state, adding further to the depressing look of the city these days.
    My blueprint for the city(with unlimited resources & I had the wealth of a russian oligarch) would be to knock the old Dunnes-Build a Limerick 02 or Marks.Knock the newer part of Roches Stores and Burger King-maybe they could put a nice square or something down.
    Get rid of all the rubbish shops in William St & finish the pedest.of the place.Clean up the Bus Station, Finish the Hanging gardens building on William St & knock the old Eircom building on Henry station.
    Limerick could do with a decent theatre aswell & a cinema.
    Someone laughed when I told them there was no cinema.
    Fair play has to go though for Thomond Park.It is something that we should be proud of.

sleepyman wrote: »
    knock the old Eircom building on Henry station.
    I read that the Gardai have leased that place for extra capacity.

• Advertisement

Knock the old eircom building?

With the Gardai still in it? They have taken over the lease of most of that building now.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1408:henry-street-hq-to-expand&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60

Snap!

They ESB could sell their building down on Howleys Quay though! Nice Spot.

Aidric wrote: »
    I read that the Gardai have leased that place for extra capacity.

Extra capacity - For the 6 of them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I see a "Cash 4 Gold" place opened on O'Connell avenue among all the Georgian buildings that used to have the estate agents/solicitor offices that now have to let/for sale signs on them. Another sign of the times.

those places make me feel ill, vultures preying on the vulnerable:mad:

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    those places make me feel ill, vultures preying on the vulnerable:mad:

Both directly and indirectly.

I saw 60 new jobs medical centre parkway then i read they want to demolish + build. (do we really need more traffic on parkway roundabout)
    Isn't there enough empty buildings already built around the city that could be used.
    Where tesco express wants to go, was headlines also medical centre jobs headlines.

I saw 60 new jobs medical centre parkway then i read they want to demolish + build. (do we really need more traffic on parkway roundabout)
    Isn't there enough empty buildings already built around the city that could be used.
    Where tesco express wants to go, was headlines also medical centre jobs headlines.

Bear in mind that when anything starts to be built now the traffic will be much less in the area due to the tunnel being open by the time anything is ready to open.

There is a brand new set of units sitting empty on the road that goes from the B&Q roundabout to the UL roundabout.

Big carpark and even the billboard says for office/medical or retail.

I totally agree that filling the current empty units should take priority over granting permission to build more units to stand empty.

Forgot about less traffic with the tunnel, hopefully.

Kess73 wrote: »
    There is a brand new set of units sitting empty on the road that goes from the B&Q roundabout to the UL roundabout.

Big carpark and even the billboard says for office/medical or retail.

I totally agree that filling the current empty units should take priority over granting permission to build more units to stand empty.

One of them has an occupant now who officialy opened yesterday. Its a deli, grocery, coffee shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Limerick Independent gone today...... bit of a messer by all accounts.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/High-Court-orders-the-windingup.6265553.jp

(note Limerick Leader website)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

That car shop in Jetland seems to be closed now aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

That car shop in Jetland seems to be closed now aswell?

^^

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65478714&postcount=35

====================================================

New hours in Jetland:

spa0835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Hasnt it been those hours in the jetland for ages now or have they actually extended them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Yeah it looks like they have. Grocery on thursday and friday are definitely open for an extra hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Added a couple of hours "sioda". Hours valid from tomorrow. Also, "textiles" are open longer. If at 23:00 you will need a tie or white shirt to a grilling.
    :)

I noticed a new restaurant today in town next to Azur on O Connell St. It's called The Gasworks. There were a couple of failed fast food outlets in there previously.

There is a new book shop too bargain books old fergusons chemist thomas street.

There is a new book shop too bargain books old fergusons chemist thomas street.

Is it a second hand bookshop or does it sell new Books?

If the former then I must check it out. New books I stopped buying anywhere other than online simply because of the massive price difference. I'm all for supporting local businesses, but when I can get the same book online including currency change and P&P for usually half the price that Eason or O'Mahoneys sell for, then online wins everytime.

An example would be The Plague Dogs which I recently picked up online for just under €7 all in on hardback.

I was quoted €19.99 in town to order it in on paperback.

• Advertisement

Its new books, only saw them setting up, lots of red stickers,
    They said paper backs 3 for €10.
    Only opened today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement