Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

yep, i noticed that too, there are i think i counted five in that william street area alone, i was actually looking for the euro shop that i bought a blue light bulb in before and in its place was... yep, you guessed it, another euro shop! also theres the one now where empire music used to be, and the "x-factor" euro shop has closed down now too. so that would be... six euro shops all within spitting distance of each other, and guineys, with it's plastic banana holders! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

xsiborg wrote: »
    and guineys, with it's plastic banana holders! :D

Sure you weren't in Ann Summers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The less pound shops around, the better.

Years ago I blew out a Candle that was bought in Marys Of Limerick on William St. - It was ingeniously designed so that hot wax + whatever shít they had added to it to keep their costs down splattered into your face - I had about 500 little wax droplets all over me. The glass holders also cracked into lethally sharp shards just from the candle burning etc.

- How are certain Shops, and I don't mean any in particular, allowed to sell Factory seconds and dangerous shíte to the Public at large?

I'd be of the opinion that a lot of the Stock in these pound shops are stuff that was returned in bulk from actual proper shops as being dangerous, shoddy, faulty, lethal to life etc.

Back on topic - Any sign of the Card Shop in the Crescent (near Centre square) shutting down and also The Art and Hobby Shop?

- Pray with me to the Patron Saint of rip-off Merchants that he may take them into his arms!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What have you against the card company?

Mc Love wrote: »
    What have you against the card company?

Picked that out specifically as it has always struck me as being at the cutting edge of ignorant profiteering.

- At a guess I'd suspect that every time they sell something they kick themselves that it wasn't overpriced enough and notch it up another 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Raiser wrote: »
    Years ago I blew out a Candle that was bought in Marys Of Limerick on William St. - It was ingeniously designed so that hot wax + whatever shít they had added to it to keep their costs down splattered into your face - I had about 500 little wax droplets all over me. The glass holders also cracked into lethally sharp shards just from the candle burning etc.

- How are certain Shops, and I don't mean any in particular, allowed to sell Factory seconds and dangerous shíte to the Public at large?

I'd be of the opinion that a lot of the Stock in these pound shops are stuff that was returned in bulk from actual proper shops as being dangerous, shoddy, faulty, lethal to life etc.

Back on topic - Any sign of the Card Shop in the Crescent (near Centre square) shutting down and also The Art and Hobby Shop?

- Pray with me to the Patron Saint of rip-off Merchants that he may take them into his arms!!!!

Gave up shopping in pound shop type places years ago. Some of my experiences;

1. Needed a hammer for job I was doing in City. Have good hammers but none with me. Hammer was about £2. Hammered nail. Nail protruded into the hollow hammer head.

2. Needed paint roller to put extra coat of paint on small area of wall. Got one from local euro shop. Fluff came off roller onto painted wall. Had to wait for paint to dry. Sand it down and paint again.

DIdn't have time to bring stuff back and i expect that is where they win. People won't bring crap that coat €2 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

I dont think the owners and staff who probably worked tirelessly and are now out of work would think its better.

What about the retractable Dog Lead I stupidly paid good money for in the one in the Crescent SC?

I'd say I got two retractions out of it before the case cracked and the tightly wound spring erupted out of the innards to nearly take my eye out.

- The Dog thought it was a Howwwl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The shop and it's stock is still intact inside. I saw that the council are laying piping below the footpath at the rear of the shop on Denmark St., where deliveries are brought in, so there's no access to it at the minute.

Maybe this is why it's closed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

These places now infest the city centre along with there "cash 4 gold" brethren. something really needs to put a stop to this!!!:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Firefox11 wrote: »
    These places now infest the city centre along with there "cash 4 gold" brethren. something really needs to put a stop to this!!!:mad::mad:

But to be fair that was one of the better shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Im not a big fan of these shops, handy for picking up an odd bargain maybe but expect what ye pay for lads, quality doest come cheap :) Personally Id prefer to see some kind of shops than closed up buildings!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ugh... in search of a hangover cure this morning when i got this bad news..

Wheelers Grill room at the groody roundabout shut yesterday. no more fries :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Talking to a person working in the newsagent in the Crescent Shopping centre today and was told that they will be going very soon.

The person did not know if another newsagent would be moving into the unit down the line or not.

That's a shame Kess. It is owned by a property management company in Raheen so it was possibly a dip into a new market maybe.

I knew a guy who was competiting for the lease at the time so now possibly the rent might be open to discussion a little more.

We don't want the Crescent to end up like Mahon Point(Ghost Town).

On a brighter note I know of 3 Cafes opening in the next few weeks in Limerick. They are still a bit hush hush at the moment so I wont say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Shop in Ballycumin Village that closed down now has
    signs about the business park saying it is re-opening under
    new managment which is good news for a change.

~B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kess73 wrote: »
    Talking to a person working in the newsagent in the Crescent Shopping centre today and was told that they will be going very soon.

The person did not know if another newsagent would be moving into the unit down the line or not.

Newsland?Surely thats there years?

bigpink wrote: »
    Newsland?Surely thats there years?

It hasn't been Newsland for around 2.5years or so. Remember when the Post Office moved out to Dooradoyle by the Highway. That's because the guy who operated the Post Office also was leasing the shop. The Crescent demanded he renovated the exterior. He said "screw you" and his lease was not renewed. Basically.

Berty wrote: »
    That's a shame Kess. It is owned by a property management company in Raheen so it was possibly a dip into a new market maybe.

I knew a guy who was competiting for the lease at the time so now possibly the rent might be open to discussion a little more.

We don't want the Crescent to end up like Mahon Point(Ghost Town).

On a brighter note I know of 3 Cafes opening in the next few weeks in Limerick. They are still a bit hush hush at the moment so I wont say anything.

Does Limerick really need more cafes?And anyone else notice lots of small newsagents opening,new is good but surely they cant all compete

It hasn't been Newsland for around 2.5years or so. Remember when the Post Office moved out to Dooradoyle by the Highway. That's because the guy who operated the Post Office also was leasing the shop. The Crescent demanded he renovated the exterior. He said "screw you" and his lease was not renewed. Basically.

Oh sorry didnt know it was a new crowd in there

• Advertisement

Does Limerick really need more cafes?

No but Limerick does need more Quality Cafes. We don't need more Bland/Beige Cafes like BB's or Costa and similar.

We need good cafes like Cafe Bruschetta on Denmark Street(New), Mortells, Sage Cafe, Cafe Noir.

No but Limerick does need more Quality Cafes. We don't need more Bland/Beige Cafes like BB's or Costa and similar.

We need good cafes like Cafe Bruschetta on Denmark Street(New), Mortells, Sage Cafe, Cafe Noir.

God that bruschetta place is more a pizza joint?and the guy thats runs it is awful rude
    Cafe Noir is about 5 years too late,its a yummy mummy celtic tiger tpe of place and dear enough isnt it masterchefs that own it another big greedy company

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

No but Limerick does need more Quality Cafes.

It needs to get more like Cork... the likes of Bully's and Scoozies!!

God that bruschetta place is more a pizza joint?and the guy thats runs it is awful rude
    Cafe Noir is about 5 years too late,its a yummy mummy celtic tiger tpe of place and dear enough isnt it masterchefs that own it another big greedy company

I cant say I agree about Bruschetta. I thought he was quite welcoming, especially to me being a freakin Salesman.

Cafe Noir = Masterchefs = The recently closed Salt House.(Or Vice Versa or in a different order)
    Ms.Cosmo wrote: »

I would suggest Cafe Depeche as being a good Cork Coffee House.

I cant say I agree about Bruschetta. I thought he was quite welcoming, especially to me being a freakin Salesman.

Cafe Noir = Masterchefs = The recently closed Salt House.(Or Vice Versa or in a different order)

That guy from masterchiefs seems to be a bit cloak and dagger.The Salt House is closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »

What are the odds.... I was only in Scoozies yesterday and was complaining that we didn't have anything like them in Limerick, I love that place...

Where's that?? I'll give it a try when I'm down next week!
    (near places rather than street names... I don't know the place that well :D )

ABEasy wrote: »
    What are the odds.... I was only in Scoozies yesterday and was complaining that we didn't have anything them in Limerick, I love that place...

I've been saying it for years :D

Cafe Depeche was the place all over the media when Cork dissapeared under water. Lancaster Quay. He is re-opening that one in two weeks. He has one at the Gate Cinema Complex(side of it) and a good New Zealand girl making great Coffee(my Coffee). He has another off the beaten track and opening another in a few months.

Cafe Gusto on the corner of Washington and Grand Parade is a nice yet small place. The, again New Zealand person, is probably one of the best Baristas I have seen since Colin Harmon in Dublin. Well worth a visit. Try the Wholy grain next door for a nice Suki Tea(loose leaf).

/Ends sales pitch

Wow!!! The next time I'm heading anywhere I'll definitely ask you where to go first :D

I'll give a few in Cork a try anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭manna452121

The guy who runs Cafe Noir also has the lease for Thomond park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement