Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Christ thats desperate to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Clancys is gone from parkway roundabout, after 80 years in limerick.

Another 8 jobs lost.

Cant believe that - question is should they have left the city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Berty wrote: »
    Dell is closed. Shock horror.

I heard that Ikea have been looking at the building. ;)

I thought that EMF3 would be a great ikea a few years ago Bertie. loading bays, canteen, parking, road links good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »

Presumably they couldn't afford Limerick City's commercial rates which are reportedly very high.

- If so then City Council has effectively created another 8 redundancies :(

The Independent is publishing County and City Councillors expense claims at the moment - anyone know if Limerick has featured yet or is it due?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hopefully they might reopen a city store although the City rates are among the highest in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

A restaurant where bruschetta was has closed. Remix clothing is closing in williamscourt mall. Terrible news about clancys, never thought it was a good location there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    Presumably they couldn't afford Limerick City's commercial rates which are reportedly very high.

The Independent is publishing County and City Councillors expense claims at the moment - anyone know if Limerick has featured yet or is it due?

Todays leader has a bit on them I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A restaurant where bruschetta was has closed. Remix clothing is closing in williamscourt mall. Terrible news about clancys, never thought it was a good location there.

That location has seen many businesses go in and never last long - they would have been better off in with the likes of currys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »

They stated that they had to leave the City centre due to it being too expensive to do business there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Presumably and reportedly, jeez, do you actually ever know anything about what you're posting about or do you just make it up as you go along?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    They stated that they had to leave the City centre due to it being too expensive to do business there.
    Presumably and reportedly, jeez, do you actually ever know anything about what you're posting about or do you just make it up as you go along?

Obviously you're just out to pick a fight on any flimsy pretext you can find.....

My advice would be to pick your battles so you don't come across as being so obviously petty, incorrect and aimlessly quarrelsome :rolleyes:

Obviously you're just out to pick a fight on any flimsy pretext you can find.....

My advice would be to pick your battles so you don't come across as being so obviously petty, incorrect and aimlessly quarrelsome :rolleyes:

The place they had by the parkway is inside the city, the boundary starts beyond TX Maxx, you can see where the road markings point it out on the new road, so rates wouldn't be an different.

I don't think pointing out how little you know is being petty or aimlessly quarrelsome, but even if it was, it certainly wouldn't be incorrect.

:D Sorry to be out by a couple of hundred metres!!!

Well your account goes against everything I've ever heard stated on this matter, which does seem strange, but perhaps someone can confirm your version of events?

- Whatever the case may be Clancy's got out of Limerick City for a reason and in hindsight its not hard to start naming possible additional reasons to the whole high rates issue.

There seems to be growing concern amongst the Public and Retailers alike that the City Centre's viability is being mismanaged in a lot of respects.

:D Sorry to be out by a couple of hundred metres!!!

Well your account goes against everything I've ever heard stated on this matter, which does seem strange, but perhaps someone can confirm your version of events?

- Whatever the case may be Clancy's got out of Limerick City for a reason and in hindsight its not hard to start naming possible additional reasons to the whole high rates issue.

There seems to be growing concern amongst the Public and Retailers alike that the City Centre's viability is being mismanaged in a lot of respects.

Clancys (and most other local businesses be it in Limerick, Cork or Dublin) can't compete with the savings on offer from the larger chain stores. If you want local businesses to survive then you have to buy local. There's no point in wishing them well while buying your stuff online or from a chain store. I know sometimes the savings are too good to miss but buying local is worth paying a small bit extra, imo. Course, the chain stores employ a lot of locals too, and competition is good for the consumer, so it's not always "big companies bad, local guys good etc"

Btw, here's an article from when they closed the O'Connell street shop, no mention of rates, but blames the high price of parking in the city. I agree the cost of parking is too high in the city, but ultimately free parking couldn't keep them open out by the Parkway.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news?articleid=5554655

The City Council has driven any available shoppers out of the city and still they think they are 'holier than thou' down there - it is a disgrace. We are the casualties of that attitude.

I'd prefer to hand Wayne Dundon my Wallet than to pay Limerick City Council for a book of Parking Discs.

- I hope when the Councillors expenses are made Public shortly that there are some fat fingers caught fumbling in the greasy Till.

I'd prefer to hand Wayne Dundon my Wallet than to pay Limerick City Council for a book of Parking Discs.

Why? I don't think on-street parking in Limerick is any more expensive than parking in most Irish cities, it is definitely cheaper than either Galway or Dublin, both of whom employ clampers to really ruin your day.

I've said this to you ohsomany times before but you want a city centre to be proud of but aren't willing to pay anything to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Btw, here's an article from when they closed the O'Connell street shop, no mention of rates, but blames the high price of parking in the city. I agree the cost of parking is too high in the city, but ultimately free parking couldn't keep them open out by the Parkway.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news?articleid=5554655

Has anybody heard of the ressession and the competition from UK shops in the retail parks? Gerry Clancy left the city centre blaming parking but the real problem was the prices and peoples willingness to pay for luxury goods. City parking cannot be blamed this time

Why? I don't think on-street parking in Limerick is any more expensive than parking in most Irish cities, it is definitely cheaper than either Galway or Dublin, both of whom employ clampers to really ruin your day.

I've said this to you ohsomany times before but you want a city centre to be proud of but aren't willing to pay anything to support it.

On-Street parking in Limerick is one of the cheapest in Ireland. It is only one euro per hour whereas Galway is 2.60 per hour, Cork is 2 per hour in the one hour zones and 2 for 2 hours in the two hour zones. The parking discs are 2 euro each and cover 2 hours parking and the pay by phone system is 50 c for a hald hour. Hard to see where the problem is

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Part of the problem, I think, was that until recently a lot of the parking spaces in the City Centre were 1-Hour spots. Having to rush back to move the car after an hour doesn't lend itself to a fun/productive shopping experience.

• Advertisement

Part of the problem, I think, was that until recently a lot of the parking spaces in the City Centre were 1-Hour spots. Having to rush back to move the car after an hour doesn't lend itself to a fun/productive shopping experience.

A bigger problem is that the disks are the same price if you use them for 30 mins or for 2 hours. Really annoys me to use a disk when I know I'm just going to be 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Go the electronic way with Parkmagic. If you want to stay 30 mins you only pay for 30 mins. Have been using it since its introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

A bigger problem is that the disks are the same price if you use them for 30 mins or for 2 hours. Really annoys me to use a disk when I know I'm just going to be 20 mins.

If you are going to be 20 minutes, carry a parking disc with you. Flourish it on your return if warden is at your car, say you just went to buy one!
    Ok wont help if already ticketed, but would certainly work for 5 minute stops!
    Unless warden is a ninja.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

One thing I am shocked at is how swiftly the law in Limerick moves when you don't pay a parking ticket.

I didn't bother paying my parking fine that I got two months ago for my tax disc being out of date. I forgot it was out of date and brought a new one the next day. I thought €90 was ludicrous for this minor infringement!

They've already issued me with a court date at the beginning of September, came by registered post yesterday morning.
    I mean, FFS, Im hardly a threat to society, I doubt LCC would move so swiftly to drag real criminals into court.

The whole debacle has completly put me off the city centre, Crescent is where its at from now on and UL for meeting friends for coffee+dins!

The city council introduced a pay the minute service when you pay by phone. its only 50c for a half hour so that seems fair enough

phill106 wrote: »
    If you are going to be 20 minutes, carry a parking disc with you. Flourish it on your return if warden is at your car, say you just went to buy one!
    Ok wont help if already ticketed, but would certainly work for 5 minute stops!
    Unless warden is a ninja.....

But would you go into a shop and take something off the shelf with a fiver in your hand and then if the security guy at the exit stops you then say, "oh I was just looking for the cash desk"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about just putting up Parking Machine like most other cities in Ireland?

If it says €2 per hour and you put in €1 then you get 30minutes. Easy peasy.

Big investment mind you. Digging up footpaths to move cables. Quango City!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    How about just putting up Parking Machine like most other cities in Ireland?

If it says €2 per hour and you put in €1 then you get 30minutes. Easy peasy.

Big investment mind you. Digging up footpaths to move cables. Quango City!

You also have to employ someone to manage the coins (collection, counting and banking) and try to keep ahead of the criminals stealing from the machines. In fairness the parking discs are much easier manage from the city council point of view.

panda100 wrote: »
    One thing I am shocked at is how swiftly the law in Limerick moves when you don't pay a parking ticket.

I didn't bother paying my parking fine that I got two months ago for my tax disc being out of date. I forgot it was out of date and brought a new one the next day. I thought €90 was ludicrous for this minor infringement!

They've already issued me with a court date at the beginning of September, came by registered post yesterday morning.
    I mean, FFS, Im hardly a threat to society, I doubt LCC would move so swiftly to drag real criminals into court.

The whole debacle has completly put me off the city centre, Crescent is where its at from now on and UL for meeting friends for coffee+dins!
    Hi Panda. I thought the fine for no tax disc was 60 euro

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    You also have to employ someone to manage the coins (collection, counting and banking) and try to keep ahead of the criminals stealing from the machines. In fairness the parking discs are much easier manage from the city council point of view.
    Limerick has the discs for those who like that system and its a lot safer than standing at a machine with your handbag open getting out coins, also has the pay by phone system which is a free phone number and you can pay for 30 minutes. All cities have paid parking, its just life. I hear you even have to pay for coffee now days too. now there is an idea, free coffee downtown and 2.50 per cup in the suburbs :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement