Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I know someone in a pub they put 4 tables and some chairs out side along with a wind breaker and some nice flower plants.Then guess what...?Officals came along saying you need a permit and have to pay rates for the tables,chairs and pots and you need planning permission for the wind breaker.
    This person wasnt taken over the pathby any means and if anything was keeping his patch clean and tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Paul101 wrote: »
    But would you go into a shop and take something off the shelf with a fiver in your hand and then if the security guy at the exit stops you then say, "oh I was just looking for the cash desk"

If the cash desk was somehow magically outside the building,possible a street or 2 away from where the stoe was, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Noticed today new polish shop in falks is closed.
    Didn't last long, guess lots of the poles are gone home.

Also that coffee shop next to meteor/h samuels is gone, changed before xmas to cheap donut shop.

Did see some scaffolding outside fergusons anyone know if something new is opening?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also that coffee shop next to meteor/h samuels is gone, changed before xmas to cheap donut shop.

Aw no, I liked that place! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Cafe Aroma at junction of Roches/Catherine street also closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

lasno wrote: »
    Cafe Aroma at junction of Roches/Catherine street also closed.

Only went there a few times but it was very well run. Shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Did see some scaffolding outside fergusons anyone know if something new is opening?
    The polish shops seem to have amalgamated into the unit on liddy street in Roches old yard. THe one on Parnell Street is closed as well but directs people to the liddy street one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sioda wrote: »
    The polish shops seem to have amalgamated into the unit on liddy street in Roches old yard. THe one on Parnell Street is closed as well but directs people to the liddy street one

That shop on Liddy street is savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

what does it sell? is it just a polish version of lidl or does it sell protein bodybuilding stuff too etc?

Yeah, saw that.
    Hopefully the fact that it's all blocked off and has scaffolding means theres a some decent shop opening there.

Euro/Gold shops usually don't go to much effort when opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I see that the discount shop (Your More Store ?) on Wiiliam St. closed a couple of weeks ago. Things must be bad when the even the pound shops are closing.

It's now opening again as KWIK-E-MART.....I had a quick look but I didn't see APU so it must be just a cheap copy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I see that the discount shop (Your More Store ?) on Wiiliam St. closed a couple of weeks ago. Things must be bad when the even the pound shops are closing.

It's now opening again as KWIK-E-MART.....I had a quick look but I didn't see APU so it must be just a cheap copy.:)

I didnt go in, but could see in the window. Exact same stock. Nothing changed since it was the last shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Yeah had a chuckle at the name, given that there are actual gift stores (Simpsons related of course) in the US of that name, I wonder if they are using the name illegally or was the Kwik-E-Mart name not registered in Ireland and it has been snapped up by people not affiliated to the original, much like the Diesel clothing name was in Ireland hence the Diesel store in Limerick that is selling clothing not made by the Italian company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Only went there a few times but it was very well run. Shame to see it go.
    And very expensive too. €2.50 for a take-away coffee.

Alot gone home or following work in the U.K or Germany.Ive noticed alot of non EU nationals opening businesses or in particluar taxi drivers,how are they getting work permits?Surely you would only get a work permit/entry for a skilled area?Like i couldnt go to the Usa until i get a certain level at 3 rd level

phill106 wrote: »
    Is the O'Connell grill closed? Keep forgetting to look to see if there is a small sign, but the gates have been shut everytime I drive by.
    Hard to believe it if it is, always seemed busy enough!

Is the O connell grill closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

i think it has been closed a few weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

kilburn wrote: »

ya closed up for few weeks now, eircom are putting a new store into cruises street, due to open in about a month, going inot the old dorethy perkins or next door to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

a spray painting buisness in at the back of dan o connors is gone the same way as the galvone industrial estate, security issues, cctv in operation but no use, the callers and the law did not care, a car stolen out of there this week, the taker took it to hegartys who had been rang ahead, hegartys conficated the car, the taker then arrived back and demanded the scrap value of the car from the yard operator, ripleys believe it or not is not a patch on this

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

kilburn wrote: »

Thats a real shame :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two Mile Inn Hotel to close from Friday next week according to the Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazz26 wrote: »

Apparently they were having huge problems occupying Room 218 due to the Ricin factor - 1 gram of Ricin being enough to kill ~36,000 People.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

office cleared out yesterday, liquidator spotted at the office , denied access....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bazz26 wrote: »

twas said here a few weeks ago, but with no confirmation it was removed.

ya closed up for few weeks now, eircom are putting a new store into cruises street, due to open in about a month, going inot the old dorethy perkins or next door to it...

Did Eircom not close shops years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bigpink wrote: »
    Did Eircom not close shops years ago?

Eircom are bringing out a mobile phone offering, piggybacking off meteor. I'd say eventually they'll amalgamate.

Loaf on Roches St is gone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This summer in Limerick has been crippling to business. Everyone has noticed that the place has been a virtual ghost town. Now we are seeing some of the results:(

Loaf on Thomas St is gone too.

How long did it last?Was it less than a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Which one is Loaf?
    Is that the shop beside the health food shop that sold upmarket food?

This thread is getting more depressing everyday. I mean if a small business closes and 5 people lose their jobs, that's 5 less people eating lunch in town, shopping in town, paying tax and now costing tax via welfare.

I don't know how typical I am but I live on a street with 7 houses. One is a family of housed refugees who have been given leave to stay, the next house is a single mother on welfare eventhough there are others there all the time. The next house is students and another house has an unemployed family. Then a house where occupants work for Govt. and me - self employed. How can the two working households support all the others who are supported by our taxes.

Less and less people paying tax and rates while more and more getting welfare. Something has to give eventually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement