Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dads longterm back problem

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

my dad suffers with his back alot , everybody has 1 leg shorter than the other as we all know , one of his is 19mm shorter and didnt know till about 15 years ago , he's 60 this year

he has a raise in his shoes , he goes to see a physio ( apparently the best on the country , he works on the irish rugby team ) he see's this person once a week and is always in pain , he got scans done and shows no problem with his back just wear and tear

is there anything he could try that might wort this once and for all , i know he will have to see a chiropractor once in a while , but he see's one nearly every week aswell costing him a fortune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

When you say a raise in his shoes, I presume you're talking about some form of orthotics, and if so are these custom made. I used to have back problems and went to a chiropractor for years until I took up running and found out my feet were causing any injuries I was picking up, so a physio I went to recommended going to a chap in Belfast for custom made orthoses which was over a year ago, and I haven't had any problems since. The orthoses ain't cheap but neither is a weekly chiropractor visit. On the subject of chiropractors, like I said I spent years going to one for back problems, but yet they never mentioned the fact that I had one leg shorter than the other and pointy out feet which proved to be the cause - I guess killing the golden goose isn't how these people make money.

Let me know if you need me to PM details for the chap in Belfast. Best of luck to your Da - I know what back pain is like and it's not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

yeah their orthotics

i have a friend who works in a hospital fitting these so we got these cheap as chips , he just always seems to put his back out with little effort

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PrettyP

If your Dad has access to the internet tell him to have a look at www.chronicpainireland.org where he can talk to someone about long term pain. They really helped me.

Advertisement