Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight in Cruises St.

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Missus just rang me saying there are huge crowds in crusies st along with numorous squad cars and paddy wagons , any one know what happened ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

McDonalds giving free Pimp Canes with every Big Mac Meal ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Yeah, some disgrace. I only caught the end of it. There was a crowd of about 200 people standing around outside HMV...I thought there must have been an acoustic performance by some band.

Nope.

About 10knick-knacks roaring at each other, couldn't make out what they were screaming, the feral beasts don't really speak coherently at the best of times. There was one guy on the ground getting a bit of a shoeing from one of the "women". The Gardai came along and caught a hold of a few of them.

Wonderful advert for our city - brawling along our main shopping street at 1.30 on a Tuesday.

It was interesting to watch all the passers-by having a gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Most likely be on youtube in an hour, and then on the nightly news!
    Special report, gangwarfare on the streets of limerick!
    or something to that outlandish effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

So happy I got the f*ck out of Limerick, crazy sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Ah yes.....consistency in a world gone mad........you can always rely on these crowd of scobes to make an exhibition of themselves on a regular basis.

It was interesting to watch all the passers-by having a gawk.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

phill106 wrote: »
    Most likely be on youtube in an hour, and then on the nightly news!
    Special report, gangwarfare on the streets of limerick!
    or something to that outlandish effect.

And rightly so!!!
    if there was 200 people standing watching a fight on our main shopping street at 1pm on a tuesday then that WARRANTS being on the news and reported.....

Do you think it doesnt???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It would be worse if it was such a common occurrance that people didn't bother to stop. Or post it on boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

willie o dea was droping some rhymes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4ure_GSHw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Love Limerick.

ILOVELIM-2009-B.jpg

Love Mortal Kombat.

mortalkombat4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

200 people on Cruises Street.

Maybe they should have fights more often. The traders where complaining about footfall on Cruises Street last week.

Watch a good fight then do a bit of shopping.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ah feck,how did I miss this today

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah how did i miss this, I saw the paddy wagon and a squad car down by the curch near Icon, hadnt been down Cruises st then though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Passed Henry street around 3pm and there was a big argument outside between a few guys and girls with two gardai trying to sort it out. Then as I passed the Chicken Hut around 3.30pm there was a guy and a girl outside and the girls face was covered in blood.

This city has gone to $hit. No visible garda presence unless hordes are beating the crap out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

It was crazy!! Thought it was just scobes roaring at each other until it turned into a brawl. Cruises street was empty, then like schnellimbiss said, about 200 people appeared from nowhere to watch. It did not make for pleasant lunchtime entertainment.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Passed Henry street around 3pm and there was a big argument outside between a few guys and girls with two gardai trying to sort it out. Then as I passed the Chicken Hut around 3.30pm there was a guy and a girl outside and the girls face was covered in blood.

This city has gone to $hit. No visible garda presence unless hordes are beating the crap out of each other.

There's 634 Gardaí assigned to the Limerick region - Advanced Hide and Seek skills, Ninja stealth and camouflage essentials must be a part of the mandatory training in Templemore......

Raiser wrote: »
    There's 634 Gardaí assigned to the Limerick region - Advanced Hide and Seek skills, Ninja stealth and camouflage essentials must be a part of the mandatory training in Templemore......

Qualify your figures. Limerick Garda Division covers all of Limerick County and some of County Clare. Thats 634 Gardaí to cover a large geographical area 24 hours a day while absorbing ime off, sick leave, statutory holidays, court attendance etc etc.

concussion wrote: »
    Qualify your figures. Limerick Garda Division covers all of Limerick County and some of County Clare. Thats 634 Gardaí to cover a large geographical area 24 hours a day while absorbing ime off, sick leave, statutory holidays, court attendance etc etc.

Lol - I'm off is right!!! I'm off to the Statoil for a Breakfast Roll and then I'm going to sit in the Clare Hills listening to Newstalk all day in a Squad Car paid for by you and me, passing time paid for by you and me.

- Why do you want me to qualify this? Are you disputing my figures? I tell you in good faith that I read it in the print media within the past two weeks and was staggered at the sheer numbers involved given their invisibility, horrific detection rate, feeble advice where the victim is usually found to be somehow to blame for the crime perpetrated against them and their general demonstration of poor form over the past decade.

Its also funny that you mention sick leave, because the Gardaí are Stellar, 24 Carat Gold Olympic Champions once it comes to Duvet Days..... Going by the current form indicators there must be ~597 of them watching Oprah in their fluffy, 100% cotton, Jimmy-jammies most days in the week.

- Finally no amount of etc. etc.'s tacked clumsily onto any post is going to justify 634 Gardaí who may as well be stationed in Adelaide for all the good they are doing around here - and its not even as though they are trying their hardest and failing; They just stopped trying full stop at some point and there's no going back under the present Leadership/Ethos/Mindset....

I said qualify your figures because you complained that there were no Gardai present today despite the fact that there being over 600 working.

This is patently untrue as that is the total strength for the entire Division. With a three shift rotation thats 200 on duty at any time...for the entire county. Accounting for their days off, time off etc there are fewer again on duty at any time in the county. That's why I said qualify your figures. Unless you expect the 634 Gardai, Sergeants, Detectives, Inspectors and Superintendants working in the county to be on duty in the city centre at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

It was crazy!! Thought it was just scobes roaring at each other until it turned into a brawl. Cruises street was empty, then like schnellimbiss said, about 200 people appeared from nowhere to watch. It did not make for pleasant lunchtime entertainment.

rent a crowd ?

concussion wrote: »
    I said qualify your figures because you complained that there were no Gardai present today despite the fact that there being over 600 working.

This is patently untrue as that is the total strength for the entire Division. With a three shift rotation thats 200 on duty at any time...for the entire county. Accounting for their days off, time off etc there are fewer again on duty at any time in the county. That's why I said qualify your figures. Unless you expect the 634 Gardai, Sergeants, Detectives, Inspectors and Superintendants working in the county to be on duty in the city centre at the same time?

I think the facts don't quite coincide with your assertion - To be more precise, I never complained that there were no Gardaí present today and additionally I was never under the impression, or tried to lead anyone else to the conclusion that all of our Shy Gardaí are on duty all of the time (???)

- For you to subsequently claim that I did is at best misguided and at worst a diversionary Straw Man tactic.....

My main point of contention is that given the relatively high amount of Gardaí in the region generally, allowing for sick leave, special leave, overtime allowance leave, veterinary leave and missing socks leave - why don't we ever see them and why don't they ever produce any results?

- The obvious exception being we we do frequently see them hiding under a flyover on an immaculate stretch of dual-carriage way pointing at Speed Trap Gun at us and smirking lazily, or drinking Barry's tea and peering at tax discs and down Yummy Mummies cleavage outside Tescos......

• Advertisement

Sure, whatever you say. I maintain my postion despite you're attempts to divert attention with your straw-man allegations. One poster said there's no visible Garda presence and you jumped straight in talking about the hundreds practicing their ninja skills without any mention of how many are actually on duty at any one time in Henry Street.

The funny thing is, I do believe that there need to be more Gardaí on the streets, patrolling, observing and being in contact with the public. However, their hands are tied by restrictive staffing levels and the large area they need to cover. Perhaps one of our resident Gardaí will add his opinions here, I don't know what figures are publically available about numbers operating in the city centre.

The Traffic Corps are responsible for speed enforcement and don't patrol or respond to emergency calls with the unit on duty. But you know this already, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I can't see any reason to go to the city centre any more, except perhaps a quick run into Brown Thomas for the GF, or lunch in the Wild onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

flutered wrote: »
    rent a crowd ?

Haha! Maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Laydeegaga - if you want a long life on this forum, stop posting crap. Post deleted.

Raiser wrote: »

Now now, they're out ruthlessly hunting the true scourge of society, out of date car tax drivers! dun dun dunnnnnnnnn!

Brave souls the lot of them

krudler wrote: »
    Now now, they're out ruthlessly hunting the true scourge of society, out of date car tax drivers! dun dun dunnnnnnnnn!

Brave souls the lot of them

To be honest - I probably should have said this earlier, cause there is undoubtedly sincere Folk in the Ranks.......

I do sincerely have the utmost respect for any Garda out there who puts in the hours in an often-times (usually I suppose) thankless job, has ideals, serves his or her Community and suffers the filth of Society to put bread on the Family Table. I am disgusted when I hear of Ambulance Crews, Firefighters or Gardaí being targeted by the Scum bobbing in our ugly gene pool.

- I honestly think that their worst Enemy is the cynical Members of An Garda Siochana who are happy to cash the cheque and turn both eyes blindly in two different directions, they are the ones bringing the whole lot down from its rotten insides.

Their worst enemy is the government who won't give them the resources to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I don't have a problem with the Gardai. They have $hit thankless job dealing with the scum of the earth day-in-day out. I do however have a problem with politicians and the Garda commissioner bleating to the media about how many Gardai are assigned to Limerick and blah blah blah. A blind dog can see that Limerick City has a major problem regarding a visible Garda presence, not just at night but now also during the day.

Can the last person to leave please turn out the lights, before the bulbs are robbed.

Take a walk up O'Connell St,any hour of any day of the week, and you'll RARELY ever see garda either walking a beat or even just standing around being a visible presence. Same as a Saturday night, I lived in a city centre apartment overlooking a busy street for years and you rarely ever saw guards, saw plenty of fights though. But go down to any of the petrol stations on the dock road on a Sat night and you'll always see at least 2 squad cars parked outside and the lads in there getting coffee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

krudler wrote: »
    Take a walk up O'Connell St,any hour of any day of the week, and you'll RARELY ever see garda either walking a beat or even just standing around being a visible presence. Same as a Saturday night, I lived in a city centre apartment overlooking a busy street for years and you rarely ever saw guards, saw plenty of fights though. But go down to any of the petrol stations on the dock road on a Sat night and you'll always see at least 2 squad cars parked outside and the lads in there getting coffee

so true

Advertisement