Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight in Cruises St.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Thats very true. Ant time I stop in there for petrol. There is always a garda car there...

Our tax euros at work:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Do you all realise that Gardaí don't have a set break while on duty and have to grab food when they can? And that the staffing limits placed on them means they have a massive geographical area to cover with a handful of Gardaí? As a result they can't be walking the streets because they can get called to Raheen, Castletroy, Corbally etc etc.

There is a serious issue with the the level of visible policing but this idea that they do nothing but eat breakfast rolls and look down womens tops at checkpoints is fallacious and petty. If you have a problem with how policing is conducted, contact your TD. Contact the opposition aswell and get a question put in the Dáil as to the allocation of funding and personell for the Limerick Division. This forum is nothing but bitching and whining, nothing is going to get solved by putting it on Boards, contact the people in charge and tell them your grievances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 laydeegaga

Methinks there is a visible garda presence here on Boards....moonlighting in a covert way...:D

I'm not, nor ever have been, a member of An Garda Siochána. However, I know several and have seen how constrained they are in the discharge of their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

concussion wrote: »
    Do you all realise that Gardaí don't have a set break while on duty and have to grab food when they can? And that the staffing limits placed on them means they have a massive geographical area to cover with a handful of Gardaí? As a result they can't be walking the streets because they can get called to Raheen, Castletroy, Corbally etc etc.

There is a serious issue with the the level of visible policing but this idea that they do nothing but eat breakfast rolls and look down womens tops at checkpoints is fallacious and petty. If you have a problem with how policing is conducted, contact your TD. Contact the opposition aswell and get a question put in the Dáil as to the allocation of funding and personell for the Limerick Division. This forum is nothing but bitching and whining, nothing is going to get solved by putting it on Boards, contact the people in charge and tell them your grievances.

I was just thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if i was right about them having no set breaks..also im pretty sure at night as well they have to cover a lot of co.Limerick as well like out the country which stretches their resources even more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

krudler wrote: »
    But go down to any of the petrol stations on the dock road on a Sat night and you'll always see at least 2 squad cars parked outside and the lads in there getting coffee
    They positively live at Topaz beside Mount Kenneth don't they. Anytime i pull in to get petrol, they are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

They Gardai are entitled to have a lunchbreak just like everyone else lads FFS.

Topaz stations are handy hence why you see them there a lot.

I think it is fair to criticize how the Gardai are deployed in Limerick but having a go at them for stuff like this is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

ah but isnt it a typical Irish attitude, they are bstrds for doing their job and useless fkrs for not being on every street corner at the click of a finger. Me thinks some of the folks watched to much batman episodes, perhaps the city council should have spent the tax payers money on the bat signal rather than a escape artist christmas tree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

wow....guards going to a petrol station for grub on their break and they are considered to "live" there....maybe they were getting petrol, maybe they're entitled to have a break, maybe its not the same 2 guards that are there evertyday for the duration of their shift..... really guys, I don't think discussing guards going to petrol stations/delis for food even warrants a thread reply. I am not a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

wow....guards going to a petrol station for grub on their break and they are considered to "live" there....maybe they were getting petrol, maybe they're entitled to have a break, maybe its not the same 2 guards that are there evertyday for the duration of their shift..... really guys, I don't think discussing guards going to petrol stations/delis for food even warrants a thread reply. I am not a guard.

I see 4 guards having a "coffee" in a petrol station very regularly,seems like a bit of a waste of resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

As regularly as most people go for or take their coffee break, I wonder? Lets write a strongly worded letter to Factna on this coffee break scourge thats seems to be getting up peoples noses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

As regularly as most people go for or take their coffee break, I wonder? Lets write a strongly worded letter to Factna on this coffee break scourge thats seems to be getting up peoples noses.
    I'll sign that letter too, sure will you put down on it that they shouldn't be entitled to holidays as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm not, nor ever have been, a member of An Garda Siochána. However, I know several and have seen how constrained they are in the discharge of their duties.

Garda bashing for the sake of it is only going to píss People of without getting anyone anywhere.

- I think the above comment is fair and balanced; People in Limerick have become aware of a problem and its being voiced more and more frequently that our Streets are not being adequately Policed.

I really don't think you can blame any Garda for this but the whole system needs to be looked at very carefully and prob. rebuilt from the ground up.

- I have a feeling that the very top level Gardaí are next to being indistinguishable from any Fianna Fail Politician you can think of in terms of empty promises, covering their fat arsés and focussing only on their paypacket and career prospects.

Its the ordinary Garda then who has to take the abuse from the People when the whole system has produced fcuk all of any worth or substance.

- Also I've read on here countless times how the Judiciary seem to exist to put Scum back on the Streets as quickly as they can - Practically every time I read a Judges closing comments on a case I am staggered by how dated, irrelevant, clueless, sexist, bizarre and out of touch they seem.....It can't be Alzeimers in every case with those Fools can it.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah but this isnt them popping in for a quick bite, its standing in the shop for up to an hour at a time, drove in there to get petrol just after 11 one night, 2 squad cars, 5 guards in there, came back about an hour later as had forgotten to get milk, same 2 cars, same guards still there. This was on a Saturday night as well, why not get a coffee and park on O'Connell st somewhere and drink it? plenty of people who work in offices take coffee breaks while still sitting at their desk, same thing.
    Look at the amount of fights and arguments that would be reduced, as well as the standard drunken messing that goes out in the Supermacs area of O'Connell st if a car or wagon was assigned to either just do laps of the street for the hour when nightclubs kick out or just park up somewhere and remain visible. but no, unless theres a massive fight the guards are nowhere to be seen on weekend nights

Also I've read on here countless times how the Judiciary seem to exist to put Scum back on the Streets as quickly as they can - Practically every time I read a Judges closing comments on a case I am staggered by how dated, irrelevant, clueless, sexist, bizarre and out of touch they seem.....It can't be Alzeimers in every case with those Fools can it.....?

+1 on this

"well the defendant murdered 67 people but as he's clearly sorry and wrote me a lovely letter stating this, plus hes going to give 50 quid to the charity box, ah sure he'll know better next time, off ya run you little scamp!"

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Off Topic?????:mad: Where is the youtube video???

Was in town today and I have never seen so many Gardai walking around the city. Passed two on O'Connell St. outside Supermacs then spotted two cycling on Thomas Street then another two moving the beggar outside O'Mahoneys. All in the space of about an hour. Clearly the protest by the city traders has resulted in a more visible presence to keep them happy. I just hope they continue this and not allow it to trail off after a few weeks.

Bout bloody time

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Nice to hear, but it was a very sunny day today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Nice to hear, but it was a very sunny day today :)

You hinting that they're only fair weather Friends?

- P.S. WTF is the idea of Gardaí on Mountain bikes?

Hardly going to catch a stolen Honda Civic, hardly going to catch most stuff going by appearances????

• Advertisement

Mobility. They can cover more ground in a shorter space of time. It worked today because the beggars didn't spot them strolling along the street from half a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Raiser wrote: »

Hardly going to catch a stolen Honda Civic, hardly going to catch most stuff going by appearances????

Well,a scummer isnt going to outrun someone on a bike now,are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Raiser wrote: »
    WTF is the idea of Gardaí on Mountain bikes?

I think its a great idea. I imagine that they would see a lot more on a mountain bike than whizzing past in a car.

Also it burns the calories from the doughnuts :D

They had a car pulled over by Salesians the other day. Had a chuckle as I zipped by on my own bike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

With a three shift rotation thats 200 on duty at any time...for the entire county.

It's quite a bit less than that. 634 guards working a total 21 shifts a week (3 daily shifts x 7 days), each would cover 5 shifts. On average they would work less than 10.5 months a year accounting for the minimum 20 days holidays, bank holidays and sick leave. This means at any given time there will be no more than 130 Gardaí on duty, or roughly 1 garda for every 1,500 persons.

I'm not a particular fan of the Gardaí but I do dislike people manipulating figures in order to make a point. If it is widely known that Gardaí/police presence on main shopping streets cuts down anti-social behaviour then there should be a Garda presence. The area I live in, Wimbledon, has about 2/3s of the population of Limerick city and on any day of the week there are 7 uniformed Met officers outside the main shopping centre and train station with others patrolling the streets. There are also an unknown number of plain clothes officers, as I have seen them make arrests on a number of occasions. I think it's overkill, but the one thing Wimbledon is not known for is anti-social behaviour, so that could just be my inner hippy's opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was in Frankfurt last year and a demonstration took place.
    Following that demonstration where a large number of German special branch, all about 7 foot tall and built like a brick sh*thouse.
    You don't often see police in Germany, but as soon as anything happens they come out of the woodwork and they don't fcuck about.
    Here you see tons of cops all the time, except when something happens and if it does, it's as if they're scared to tackle the hooligans.
    Once you have a police force that show weakness, the scumbags know they've won.
    And it seems to have reached that point.
    You need a police force that doesn't scurry about, as soon as there's trouble there should be a response, it's gone beyond a joke now. I've seen proper police forces and the Gardai aren't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I totally agree. You see Police Forces in other countries and the is an air of authority you simply don't get from your average Guarda. Maybe its the uniform or more than likely it's their side-arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

The cops in the states scare the doodie outta me. Here, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Watching (on RTE News) the police presence up in Rossport Mayo pissed me off no end.

The Gardai continually taking verbal abuse and taunts by gangs of hippies and not doing anything about it. They were about as effective as GAA umpires.

There's nothing more satisfying than the sound of a baton off a smug-self-righteous crusty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Watching (on RTE News) the police presence up in Rossport Mayo pissed me off no end.

The Gardai continually taking verbal abuse and taunts by gangs of hippies and not doing anything about it. They were about as effective as GAA umpires.

There's nothing more satisfying than the sound of a baton off a smug-self-righteous crusty.

Well I don't mind the crusties so much, at least they have a point and are protesting about something they care about, i.e. Ireland saying "here, have our oil and gas, sure nobody would be wantin' any of this round here now, to be sure, to be sure, begorrah"
    It's violent scumbags I'm more concerned about.
    And yes, sidearm definitely needed here, the gangsters are armed, the Gards aren't.
    Would hide behind tree myself if the other guy had a gun and I didn't.
    Or just get Willie O'Dea to beat them up...

Advertisement