Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeering in the s.u. common room?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi everyone first time poster so be gentle!! im a 1st year and kind of struggling to make friends..just wondered has anyone experienced an element of sneering/jeering in the common room from some of the bigger groups that seem to be there constantly?? maybe its just banter but can be kind of intimidating sometimes..or am i just being over sensitive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

well tbh ive never been blatantly confronted by theese people..but i have been made v uncomfortable/unwelcome as if i shouldnt be in there...has any else one ever felt this?
    P.s. ive also had stuff "accidentally" thrown at me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 prittykitty

dragonheart, im shocked!!! I have always found the SU to be welcoming to all students, i hope something will be done to prevent such offensive jeering and bullying in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hi everyone first time poster so be gentle!! im a 1st year and kind of struggling to make friends..just wondered has anyone experienced an element of sneering/jeering in the common room from some of the bigger groups that seem to be there constantly?? maybe its just banter but can be kind of intimidating sometimes..or am i just being over sensitive?
    Hey dragonheart, first time poster 2, hahaha :D:D:D
    Im glad someone has brought this point up, ive suffered jeering and abuse when i tried to use my laptop up there too. A large group of ppl confronted me and told me to apply to use their room on their website. Apparently i would have to be approved by there overlord first before i could avoid the jeering :eek::eek::eek:

I thought college people would be more welcoming to a new first year :confused:, now i just avoid the SU altogether...

Firstly, let me welcome you both to the UL forum here on Boards! Its always great to get the views of new people, and the chance to meet you also.

Secondly, the common room is a place I've avoided for all my time in UL..and I'm a postgrad. Its always messy and loud, and there are far better places to relax between classes.

You should report feeling unwelcome to the SU officers, as its the only way this type of behaviour can be stopped. Its not squealing or anything, if it makes you uncomfortable then you should be able to have something done about it. [My 2 Cent]

ya maybe as i said i might be being over sensitive....but prettykitty do u go in alone or with a few other mates??

hay mossin cheers..ya i duno like...id say if i reported them theyd know it was me..or maybe they dont even notice:( but its probably just the same here as it was in secondary school! has anyone any other experiences good or bad in the s.u. common room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

There's usually a good few GSoc and/or Anime soc people in the common room on laptops and they're always friendly towards new people. The general populace who are passing through to the pool room can be a bit "overactive" at times though.

oh ok i might be confused but thats kind of the people i was talking about...do they have to hang around in such large numbers?? as i said i could be wrong...who are Gsoc or anime..sorry not familliar!

dragonheart i often visit the su common room alone or with mates and have never experienced such abuse... u are NOT being oversensitive!

oh ok i might be confused but thats kind of the people i was talking about...do they have to hang around in such large numbers?? as i said i could be wrong...who are Gsoc or anime..sorry not familliar!
    GSoc are UL Games Society, Anime are UL Anime & Manga society. The Common room has been a communal gathering place for GSoc members for donkeys years and they all get along together. Similar interests etc. If any of them have acted badly towards you please PM me with the details. I doubt any of them would act nastily towards other common room users primarily because they're the type of people who usually get the brunt of other peoples aggro.

dragonheart i often visit the su common room alone or with mates and have never experienced such abuse... u are NOT being oversensitive!
    you must be one of the lucky ones...ive heard that people get their pants pulled down in there and everything...probably by the same few idiots tho

• Advertisement

hey kerran, not quite up on the lingo whats anime and mango?? also pm? ya as i said i could be very wrong but wouldnt really know how to distuinguish the different gangs!

why not consider joining the anime and manga society, or the games society who have dominated the common room 4 "donkeys years"!!?xxxx

hey kerran, not quite up on the lingo whats anime and mango?? also pm? ya as i said i could be very wrong but wouldnt really know how to distuinguish the different gangs!
    Anime is Japanese style animation (films, tv etc). Manga is Japanese style comics, graphic novels etc.

PM is private message. You can send users on Boards.ie private messages via your control panel.

also ive heard the anime and manga club is full of hot girls- something to think about Dragon!!!xxxx

why not consider joining the anime and manga society, or the games society who have dominated the common room 4 "donkeys years"!!?xxxx
    theyd probably make me bully others tho in exchange for letting me be with them..and i wouldnt like to put sum 1 else through it? what are these rulers like?

why dragon, ur such a kind soul:) im sure they wouldnt make u do such a thing...xxxxxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redknight2010

The last thing we need is for you to join them Dragonheart and add to the number of people subjecting freshers to abuse. Maybe they do it so the room isn't full and they can get couches but it isnt fair, i dont know how many times ive eaten my chicken roll out in the rain rather than go up there...:(

RedKnight- perhaps dragon would be a positive influence on the rulers and stand up for all who eat their lunches in the rain!!

why dragon, ur such a kind soul:) im sure they wouldnt make u do such a thing...xxxxxxxxxxx
    ive been taken the piss out of before.......
    red knight is probably right

I'm lost now as to who's being serious and who isn't. Damned internet and it's lack of intonation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redknight2010

To be honest with you prittykitty id love if dragon could sort this out once for all. Im tired of ringing my mother telling her im sick again.I have to lie to her and tell her its from going out every night of the week when in fact its because im often soaked to skin after another lunch in torrential rain or the subzero conditions we've had recently...:eek:

:(

KerranJast wrote: »
    I'm lost now as to who's being serious and who isn't. Damned internet and it's lack of intonation.
    hey im a genuine poster..can you honestly say that there isnt any element of whats been described going on? maybe you havent seen it but it does go on...and i actually have heard of people getting their pants pulled down in there

hey im a genuine poster..can you honestly say that there isnt any element of whats been described going on? maybe you havent seen it but it does go on...and i actually have heard of people getting their pants pulled down in there
    Oh I have heard and seen students doing stupid things in the SU but its always been regular students dossing around rather than clubs & socs people.

ok and how does one distinguish??
    also who could you report this type of behaviour to and what good would it do?

ok and how does one distinguish??
    also who could you report this type of behaviour to and what good would it do?
    No idea. Sorry I'd have to be there. You can report any trouble you're having in confidence to the SU officers like Mossin suggests or I presume to your class rep who'll deal with the SU on your behalf.

redknight is counting on u dragon!

KerranJast wrote: »
    No idea. Sorry I'd have to be there. You can report any trouble you're having in confidence to the SU officers like Mossin suggests or I presume to your class rep who'll deal with the SU on your behalf.
    thanks for being genuine and your tips,but from what ive seen my class rep only seems interested in getting "lushed".....also not sure how true this is but heard su are useless and dont even care about racism (from a thread i read)....?

i also read that thread... but im suspicious that some of the posters were not being genuine ....:mad::confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

thanks for being genuine and your tips,but from what ive seen my class rep only seems interested in getting "lushed".....also not sure how true this is but heard su are useless and dont even care about racism (from a thread i read)....?

Careful there now, the SU officers do care quite a bit about what goes on, and I'd bet my house on them doing something about what I term "bullying" in the common room, from what you all have said.

The racist comments in a different thread were unfair on the SU officers, as they are not the same officers as last year. It doesnt excuse what happened, but be careful not to slander the good work being done by this years gang of officers!

As for your class rep, if you have a problem with them, then do something about it, and speak to the Eduaction officer. Nothing will happen by just complaining on an online forum.

And lastly, GO TALK TO THE SU OFFICERS!! Nothing can be resolved if they dont know that something is going on!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement