Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeering in the s.u. common room?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

i also read that thread... but im suspicious that some of the posters were not being genuine ....:mad::confused::eek:
    ya suppose can know 4 definate but they seemed serious....but ive NEVER seen any officials policing the su? is it time this was enforced?

Mossin wrote: »
    Careful there now, the SU officers do care quite a bit about what goes on, and I'd bet my house on them doing something about what I term "bullying" in the common room, from what you all have said.

The racist comments in a different thread were unfair on the SU officers, as they are not the same officers as last year. It doesnt excuse what happened, but be careful not to slander the good work being done by this years gang of officers!

As for your class rep, if you have a problem with them, then do something about it, and speak to the Eduaction officer. Nothing will happen by just complaining on an online forum.

And lastly, GO TALK TO THE SU OFFICERS!! Nothing can be resolved if they dont know that something is going on!!
    hey sorry didnt mean to offend just saying what i read. but its that word "gang" again...its hard to approach big groups and tell them that there doing something wrong without fear of ridicule..? for all i know they could just turn around and say "EFF off!what do you know..."
    P.S mossin do you know like "officially" can anything be done really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 prittykitty

isnt it sad that such a precation would be considered neccessary on a day to day basis in the SU??!!

well if it might stop gangs of people throwing their lunch remains...or whatever at me i think its bloody worthwhile. at least in school you have teachers to help you....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

hey sorry didnt mean to offend just saying what i read. but its that word "gang" again...its hard to approach big groups and tell them that there doing something wrong without fear of ridicule..? for all i know they could just turn around and say "EFF off!what do you know..."
    P.S mossin do you know like "officially" can anything be done really?

I only refer to them as a "gang" here, but they are each individual people, doing individual jobs, and can be approached on an individual basis. Why not speak to the president [Ruan], or Welfare Officer [Derek] about this issue. They [and the other officers] most certainly wont tell you to Eff off!!...

As for what can be officially done, I dont have a solution or answer to that but it cant hurt to speak to someone about it!

• Advertisement

Mossin wrote: »
    I only refer to them as a "gang" here, but they are each individual people, doing individual jobs, and can be approached on an individual basis. Why not speak to the president [Ruan], or Welfare Officer [Derek] about this issue. They [and the other officers] most certainly wont tell you to Eff off!!...

As for what can be officially done, I dont have a solution or answer to that but it cant hurt to speak to someone about it!
    o0k cool thanksfor helping but still i feel talking wont do much good but il try it! but like its just every day their in there blaring music, roaring laughing and mauling the face off each other...are they on something!!! last week im nearly certain i heard one pass a remark like "whats the weather like up there" (im quite snsitive about my height) and make a kind of jokin lunge for my pance... are their cameras in there actually i wonder?

that should actually say pants btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vortigaunt

Hi Dragonheart.

Just came across this thread. Im a member of the GSoc myself and a lot of us hang around in the SU common room during the day. I'd hate to think that any of us were involved in intimidating you, because ive experienced that myself in the past.

Id be happy to mention it to anyone. is there anything in particular you'd like me to say?

Vortigaunt wrote: »
    Hi Dragonheart.

Just came across this thread. Im a member of the GSoc myself and a lot of us hang around in the SU common room during the day. I'd hate to think that any of us were involved in intimidating you, because ive experienced that myself in the past.

Id be happy to mention it to anyone. is there anything in particular you'd like me to say?
    hey thanks man, i wouldnt really know where to begin...in all fairnes to you its not your single responsibility to control all your pals, but if u could just like, kind of be concious of others coz there are a few that can feel overawed/intimidated/bullied by theese....

but im not sure its specifically g soc either tho

I've a feeling it might be us. Theres a few lads in the GSoc into the "pantsing" like you were saying earlier. Harmless fun between friends, but i can see how it would intimidate a stranger.

Its kind of stopped being funny lateley anyway. Especially with fellas taking it beyond a joke and going for the underwear as well.
    in all fairnes to you its not your single responsibility to control all your pals,

Its no bother. Just coz we're in the same society doesnt mean we're automatically pals.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I'm a first year too and I've never had any severe problems with going to the SU common room. I often choose to sit under the stairs instead because I don't like being around crowds and the common room can get very crowded and noisy and just uncomfortable. I have, however, had people make me feel like I'm in the way, especially if they have to sit at a table near me ( I usually sit at the 'breakfast bar' because I'm usually by myself) and it can be very unnerving. I would say some students can be very lively but unfortunately - as can be seen from other threads - some just have no respect for the people around them, hell, the mess of the common room says enough about that. And here's what's becoming the age-old question of UL, what can be done about that minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

good to see you all again

troll-bank-all.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tweety_bird

I'm currently a 3rd year and I am so shocked to hear all these negative comments! In all my 3 years here have i never witnessed anything like many of the comments on here. Grand there are some people who tend to be louder than normal but nothing other than that. I think its shocking and terrible especially for people who just want to enjoy their lunch or catch up with a few friends. After all it is a common room and should therefore be able to use for all students and for them not to be intimidated or feel like they are intruiding on other people's space.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

PeakOutput wrote: »
    good to see you all again

troll-bank-all.jpg

Amen. this seems to be a recurring theme in the last few days....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Wow. Would like to jump in.
    I spent a fair amount of time in common room with my friends.
    We, members of the Anime & Manga Society and the Games Society can 85% of the time be found sitting in the couches over by the pool desk. Not always.
    -Intimidate in what sense? People were personally heckling you? What kind of things did they say? I do hope it wasn't us, normally we're too self-obsessed chatting and laughing with each other to do something so horrid to someone for no reason.

If you want to meet about it tomorrow you find A&M Soc selling cakes outside of Room 3 or GSoc in Room 3 between 12 and 6.
    If you'd like to talk to me in person ask for Zeouterlimits/Gavin, someone will find me. I'd be more than willing to hear your thoughts and have a friendly chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 razzlero

If you think people have problems with you because of speech impediment I have a slight lisp and occasionally a stammer so don't worry about that. In general I consider the 2 societies to be two of the best places to find some very friendly people.

I'm rarely around lately because I have lots of college work to do but I'm sure everyone there will welcome you (but so many people are there I'm sure a lot of people won't actually notice a new face ^^; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IchigoFork

I've a feeling it might be us. Theres a few lads in the GSoc into the "pantsing" like you were saying earlier.

Hi Dragonheart,

I am a member of both Gsoc and Anime Soc. For the past 2 years I have spent the majority of my day in the common room, on the couches by the door to the pool room. I can tell you for certain, I have never seen any of the lads do anything like what Vortigaunt described above. I have discussed this with a friend who has been here longer than me, and he said that he hasn't seen it happen in his 3 years.
    What I'm thinking is that Vortigaunt might be describing drunken antics. And those I don't think people can really be held responsible for. If they're not.. Well maybe their perception of "recently" isn't so recent.
    In the past, I found the gSoc/Anime Soc crowd to be welcoming, if you can get past all the laptop screens that is :) Honestly, I don't think any of us would have been throwing food at people. Enough of us have had some experience in your situation that we would not do that kind of thing. That, and as Zeouterlimits pointed out above me, we are generally very self entertained, on laptops, or talking with each other. We do not need to throw food at people for a laugh. Honestly, I do not think we are the people you're looking for.
    Someone, maybe it was you refered to people on laptops giving you trouble. I'd like to remind you/the general public that we are not the only people who use laptops in the common room, nor are we the only regular group.

As Zeouter said, you're welcome to come to the bake sale or console day (in room 3) today for a chat, and I'd hope you'd come along. We would not like you to get the wrong idea about either G or Anime soc.

IchigoFork

Ps. <shameless_plug> Anyone who reads this is welcome to come to the bake sale today. It's in aid of Hati and our bakers have been practicing all week, you're gaurenteed of some tasty homemade goodness :D </shameless_plug>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

IchigoFork wrote: »
    I have discussed this with a friend who has been here longer than me, and he said that he hasn't seen it happen in his 3 years.

Dragonheart,

I am the friend mentioned there and i can assure you that we are not the group you are referring to, as in the years i have been a member of Gsoc and a founding committee member of Anime and Manga Soc, there has been zero instance of pants-pulling and food-throwing. Drunken antics are a non-issue because almost none of our group drink heavily, especially not during the day. we use the common room as an alternative to spending the whole day in the Stables or Javas. As for girlfriends and boyfriends 'mauling each other's faces', while there are a few couples among our group, none are guilty of PDAs to an inappropriate level. There is no chance that we would condone throwing of food, especially with nearly everyone having laptops out.

Please keep in mind that we are not the only regular group that frequent that room. We are the group that are most often found near the pool room doors, beside the big wooden desk. I think you could possibly be referring to another group of people on the other side of the room, by the couches beside the vending machine. They are often seen running across the room, through the pool room, playing music loudly, etc. There are other groups too, but I think you simply have us mixed up. We always welcome any new people who have similar interests or just wanna hang out. Our group includes myself, Zeouterlimits, IchigoFork and Razzlero seen above. ask for any of us if you still feel that it is us that are bullying you, but i can personally guarantee this is a misunderstanding

Oh yeah, and feel free to come to the Haiti fundraising bakesale in the SU Building between 12 and 5 today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I rarely ever go to the common room because it's too packed and noisy, however, i really doubt any members of Gsoc would have been responsible for the heckling of a stranger. In all my 5 years there, they always seem to be a close nit group chatting and having a laugh together and banter amidst themselves. They seem like a friendly group - don't see them bullying others at all

Secondly, dragon heart - my 2 cents for what it is worth are

1. Report it to SU. That's what they are there for. Go to the welfare officer maybe - he's a nice guy and will take you seriously. You only get in life what you ask for and since you will be here for another 3+ years: sort it out now.

2. Throw yourself into the 'scene' so to speak - whatever your secne is. Check here http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/frontend.php?p=clubssocs

its a list of ULs clubs and soc. pop along to one that interests you. Members are friendly and you will make new friends. It's the easiest way to do so. Dont go through the next 3 years without doing so. I know the idea can be intimidating but after that initial meetin, you will be glad you went. Trust me ;)

I've a feeling it might be us. Theres a few lads in the GSoc into the "pantsing" like you were saying earlier. Harmless fun between friends, but i can see how it would intimidate a stranger.

Its kind of stopped being funny lateley anyway. Especially with fellas taking it beyond a joke and going for the underwear as well.

Its no bother. Just coz we're in the same society doesnt mean we're automatically pals.;)
    itchigofork i dont think i ever said that it was the game society? maybe im wrong? i think people have just generally suggested thats its these societies that are carrying out the bullying as quote above suggests?? but i know the time i had the lunch thrown on me it was by a group witgh laptops but as i said, that doesnt mean its DEF g soc

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »

2. Throw yourself into the 'scene' so to speak - whatever your secne is. Check here http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/frontend.php?p=clubssocs

its a list of ULs clubs and soc. pop along to one that interests you. Members are friendly and you will make new friends. It's the easiest way to do so. Dont go through the next 3 years without doing so. I know the idea can be intimidating but after that initial meetin, you will be glad you went. Trust me ;)
    heya thanks but the one only thing i would be apprehensive about is IF it is these soc people are doing the bullying/slagging/whatever, as has been suggested, would approaching their group not just make it a whole lot worse?? the last thing i want is to be covered in spitballs by them like i saw happen to one girl, who just pretended it wasnt happening!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

would approaching their group not just make it a whole lot worse?? the last thing i want is to be covered in spitballs by them like i saw happen to one girl, who just pretended it wasnt happening!!:(

this whole thread is a joke, right?

danlen wrote: »

Ya danlen, good to see you find it funny{sarcastic}. its not too funny tho for people on the recieving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raving

Hi Dragonheart,

I'm also one of the members of the "Gsoc and Anime Soc" group mentioned above. Firstly I would like to assume that it is not our group who has being bullying you but rather the group at the other side of the common room. Both groups tend to use laptops and I will admit as a fact that there is a couple in that group that tend to eat each others faces off. I do believe that if you feel you are being bullied people do report it but if you could I would like you to explain fully, like where the group was sitting in the common room and such.

As for the food throwing incident I'm not sure but I do believe that I was actually there that day and I can saftly say if it is the time I believe it was that it was, in fact, the other group of people as we also had food thrown at us by them (if I remember correctly it was a bit of a roll thrown in my hair! X-x). I'm sorry that you have been disuaded from using the common room and that you have had such a bad experience of it. As to reporting this group I would advice it but once again please do actuall describe it in full rather than vaguely. Our 'group' in the common room is known amung some of the su staff and I would hate for them to be wrongly accused of anything. Once again our own group would be quite happy to meet you if it would help sort out this whole thing. The last thing we would do would be to scare you off.

I am the current president for the Anime and Manga Society and if it was one of our members who did this to you I apologise with all of our heart. We are often reffered to in our group as the nerd circle and many of us (if not all) have been bullied before in our lives. This is why I do not believe it was our group. However once again if it was our group I would like to apologise to you on behalf of us.

Raving wrote: »
    Hi Dragonheart,

I would like you to explain fully, like where the group was sitting in the common room and such.

As for the food throwing incident I'm not sure but I do believe that I was actually there that day QUOTE]

the group in particular usually sit on the left half of the room if i was to enter by the main entrance. the day i got "lunch served" as they called it,was last thursday by about 3 guys...one particularly hairy. the time i nearly had my pants pulled down was nearly a week ago by a much smaller,greasy lookin guy. any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raving

If they were sitting at the left half of the room when you go through the normal doors and not the fire exit I can guarantee this was not our group. We always (and I mean always XD) sit near the fire exit door and the pool room.

I think I may know of the people you're talking about but I believe this may have been the second "lunching" they had done. It seems they may have made a habit of it then. I've had it happen to me once before but I don't think it was the same day it happened to you. As for the hairy guy, blond coloured hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

the group in particular usually sit on the left half of the room if i was to enter by the main entrance.

from that i can tell you that it is in fact NOT our group made up primarily of Gsoc and Anime Soc members.

the group you refer to are indeed quite loud and annoying. But if you go ahead and report them, please make sure that the SU crew know you are not referring to us, as they know us (because of regularity, not notoriety) and i don't want them getting the wrong end of the stick and getting the wrong group in trouble with the building.

as for any consequence to reporting them, i can vouch for the sabbat officers' discretion. you'll be fine on that score

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It wouldn't be the g-soc. Put that out of your heads. I haven't been in the common room in quite a long time for various reasons but if they didn't take up a bit of space you'd hardly notice the g-soc/anime crowd. Friendly and non-idiotic. As it happens I know some of them and would probably be known by more of them but I know them because they're non-idiotic and mostly friendly. Assuming I'm less sickly, more bouncy and back out to UL soon, I will most likely be eating lunch again in the common room, despite the TV noise with different channels from different directions, as it's a convenient spot for it.

Half the people in the room tend to have laptops on the go, so put bluntly it could be any of them. A small chunk of the people I've seen in there are idiotic monkeys anyway, people who can't find bins and must be throwing bits of chicken at each other as that's likely how it ends up on the floor. That's not a specific UL student problem or even an Irish person problem, some people are just disgusting pigs who not only believe themselves to be the centre of their own universe but are pretty darned sure that they're the centre of the universe. Assume that some day they'll step out in front of a large truck. They probably will. People that can't place things in a bin next to their table can't be expected to remember the high-brow intricacies of safely crossing the road[1].

Being specific. There are cameras operating in the common room. Jeering may not be that obvious but idiots flinging food are clearly identifiable on camera. Someone deciding to pull down your trousers is committing assault as well as acting like a six year old. And clearly identifiable on camera. If issues like that occur, walk downstairs and either say it to one of the SU officers or say it at reception. Both or either will take such a complaint seriously. And there will be video evidence to throw the idiots out of the building, put them in front of the disiplinary committee or whatever the appropriate action may be. Incidentally, while I would expect the complaint to be taken seriously, don't expect them to go instantly marching upstairs to "take care" of the situatoin - they're not bouncers. Unfortunately wherever you go you will meet people who act tough as nails in a group and act like a swan does with a group of pens, typically in a mob mentality or compensating for their own penile inadequacy. However, there's no reason you should feel as though you have to put up with that kind of behaviour when there are avenues for it to be taken care of.

Nuff said. Go tell someone about it.

[1] Yes, I am aware that in an ironic death, I will now meet a sticky end in a death by taxi incident.

Great post, sceptre.

Even just a little reminder that pantsing will be dealt with in the form of a sign or something might warn those idiots.

“Pantsing is Ass-ault” or something.

(i know, i know, its cheesy. Just an idea)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WinterBlizzard

As a member of both Games Society and Anime/Manga Society reading this somewhat annoyed me.
    do they have to hang around in such large numbers??
    Well, it's people from a society all hanging out in the one spot. Of course there'll be a lot. Where would you like us to go instead? It's not like we've a lot of options. Sorry for having active members!
    as i said i could be very wrong but wouldnt really know how to distuinguish the different gangs!
    Being referred to as being in a "gang" offends me greatly. Neither myself nor my friends would do anything that idiotic or pointless to someone we don't know. You're almost making it out to be some sort of turf war here.

why not consider joining the anime and manga society, or the games society who have dominated the common room 4 "donkeys years"!!?xxxx

theyd probably make me bully others tho in exchange for letting me be with them..and i wouldnt like to put sum 1 else through it? what are these rulers like?

See here you blatantly label us as bullies without an awful lot of proof. Which we're not. The thought of this is utterly ridiculous!
    thanks for being genuine and your tips,but from what ive seen my class rep only seems interested in getting "lushed".....also not sure how true this is but heard su are useless and dont even care about racism (from a thread i read)....?

Yeah, a lot of class reps are like that, best bet is to go straight to an SU Officer. More chance of at least something being resolved.
    danlen wrote: »
    I hope so lol

TL;DR version:
    Jikashi and IchigoFork are right, Gsoc and Anime/Manga Soc wouldn't do this, we're not a bunch of juvenile twats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement