Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeering in the s.u. common room?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomas20

The only time i went there was with friends. Never went again. Doesn't have a good vibe. Not a place i would go on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IchigoFork

itchigofork
    Please, it's not itchigofork as in itchy, it's IchigoFork as in Ichigo, the Japanese for strawberry. Ichigo is also the main character in a popular anime "Bleach", where the name's translation is broken into 2 parts. Ichi = 1 and go = protector.

That's as an aside, the main point of this post was:
    I understand bullying might have been a large looming thing at somepoint in your past. But honestly, with college being so populated, groups of bullies picking on the same person or groups of people repeatedly is not likely as it may have been in a secondary school. You're not being hunted :)

Most of the incidents you've described seem random. I do not think that they are targeting you, honestly. I think they were probably just chucking food/blowing spitballs at whoever was in the room at the time (Raving is testement to this). And as for pantsing.. Are you sure they were trying to pull your pants down and that it wasn't just an innocent gesture you may have misinterpreted because of fear? This would be espescially relevent if you have heard terror stories about the common room, as it appears you have.

The groups that are doing this are in the wrong, and need to be stopped. But you are not being targeted by them. And honestly, I wouldn't call throwing food in random peoples' hair as I know it to happen in the common room bullying. I'd call it acting the eijot. However in other circumstances my stance would be different. Don't get too bent out of shape about it, it's not just you.

And if something like being spitballed or pantsed happened to you, would it honestly be the end of the world? I'd feel more pity than mocking for anyone who that happened to. And so would everyone else.

Please, think on the things I've said before jumping to defensive behavior.

IchigoFork

Ps. What I was saying in my last post was to demonstrate how unlikely that the people you are talking about were not us. I was not of the opinion that you thought we were definetly to blame, I was just setting the record straight. Wrong information had been spread about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Easy solution. Give me times and dates and I'll ask the Sec General to check CCTV. The offenders can then be banned from the room if this is confirmed.

Simples:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 razzlero

I'm not going to tell you how to feel, but I don't you to miss out on making friends because of a misunderstanding.

I'm sorry that some people replying to you sound kind of aagressive but they're just defending themselfes. We are nice people really. If the other group bothers you we can stand up for you.

If you want to make friends join a society related to something you inteerested in (However I will warn you that some societies are just excuses to drinking, but both Games society and Anime society have a very high amount of non-alcoholics or people who rarely drink)

BUt here's just some food for thought.

When I first came to college I was a complete social retard. I made what I considered to be friends, but I knew I had nothing in common with them and hated being around people who just drank and found hurtig each other funny.
    The best thing that ever happened to me was joining the Games society where I made some of the best friends I ever had.

Eventually after a lot of thought I wanted to do the same to bring people who liked anime together. That's because fans of Anime just like games often never get a chance to meet and befriend each other otehrwise because they often tend not to go out. So I founded the Anime and Manga Society. I put an overwhwlming amount of my time into creating something so people could make friends with common interests.

But aswell as that, becasue of all my involvement with societies I've become a lot better at dealing with people.

And to finish can you imagine people who watch stuff like this being bad? ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

As a member of both Games Society and Anime/Manga Society reading this somewhat annoyed me.

Well, it's people from a society all hanging out in the one spot. Of course there'll be a lot. Where would you like us to go instead? It's not like we've a lot of options. Sorry for having active members!

Being referred to as being in a "gang" offends me greatly. Neither myself nor my friends would do anything that idiotic or pointless to someone we don't know. You're almost making it out to be some sort of turf war here.

See here you blatantly label us as bullies without an awful lot of proof. Which we're not. The thought of this is utterly ridiculous!

Ya well im sorry for getting in the way of peoples food! i didnt exactly ask for it. and it was other people that were calling themselves a gang. and imo, it is like bloody gang arfare upthere...with all that goes on. also dont think i ever said " soc/ anime are bullies"....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dragonheart

razzlero wrote: »
    I'm not going to tell you how to feel, but I don't you to miss out on making friends because of a misunderstanding.

I'm sorry that some people replying to you sound kind of aagressive but they're just defending themselfes. We are nice people really. If the other group bothers you we can stand up for you.

If you want to make friends join a society related to something you inteerested in (However I will warn you that some societies are just excuses to drinking, but both Games society and Anime society have a very high amount of non-alcoholics or people who rarely drink)

BUt here's just some food for thought.

When I first came to college I was a complete social retard. I made what I considered to be friends, but I knew I had nothing in common with them and hated being around people who just drank and found hurtig each other funny.
    The best thing that ever happened to me was joining the Games society where I made some of the best friends I ever had.

Eventually after a lot of thought I wanted to do the same to bring people who liked anime together. That's because fans of Anime just like games often never get a chance to meet and befriend each other otehrwise because they often tend not to go out. So I founded the Anime and Manga Society. I put an overwhwlming amount of my time into creating something so people could make friends with common interests.

But aswell as that, becasue of all my involvement with societies I've become a lot better at dealing with people.

And to finish can you imagine people who watch stuff like this being bad? ^^
    cheers razzlero, you seem a kind individual and thanks for the advice. ya certain individuals are coming across aggressively, or maybe im getting the wrong impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    Easy solution. Give me times and dates and I'll ask the Sec General to check CCTV. The offenders can then be banned from the room if this is confirmed.

Simples:D
    I'll cite the above as one of the few times when complaining on the Internet rather than directly actually makes a difference:) Kudos Derek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WinterBlizzard

Ya well im sorry for getting in the way of peoples food! i didnt exactly ask for it. and it was other people that were calling themselves a gang. and imo, it is like bloody gang arfare upthere...with all that goes on. also dont think i ever said " soc/ anime are bullies"....?

Did you even read my post? I never said it was your fault you got hit by food. It's certainly a regrettable thing that happened. You called us a "gang", which we're not, which I clearly quoted you saying in my previous post.

What do you mean it's like gang warfare? What goings on do you mean? The Gsoc/Anime soc group don't even talk to the other groups in the common room. We keep to ourselves because that's how we are. There is no "gang war" in the common room.

I also clearly quoted where you were asked to join anime soc and you replied with "they'll make me bully other people". That's calling us bullies. I'm not being overly aggressive from my point of view, you just don't seem to be listening. I thought we had it clarified at this stage that it wasn't Gsoc/Anime soc but the other large group which frequents the common room.

As far as I'm concerned the issue should be resolved, many possible solutions have been posted, but that doesn't take away the fact you wrongly called a group which I would call a good number my friends "bullies" and a "gang" and have not yet apologised for the wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I think that you should chill out too WinterBlizzard. Being aggressive isn't going to do the g soc / Anime soc any good. you have made valid points and I think that dragonheart knows by now that it wasn't you that is at fault.

Regards dragonheart not joining your societies, I think that the bully answer was earlier in the thread when it wasn't clear that the g soc/Anime soc was innocent. Anyway, maybe dragonheart isn't interested in games or anime.

Christ, calm down. WinterBlizzard in particular but also dragonheart. Betwen the two of you, you're adding more heat than light to a subdiscussion which was settled on the previous page. Knock it off (that's a polite instruction, not a request, by the way). It's been made clear more than once that the gsoc/A&M soc weren't the guilty parties and that it was someone else so it makes sense not to drag it up again like some big fingerpointing inquest or start demanding apologies from victims. Don't make me come out there and start throwing chicken bones at you.:)

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

i just cannot take this seriously ...is dragonheart for real?!

i just cannot take this seriously ...is dragonheart for real?!
    <sigh>

If you have suspicions of non-realness, you can always report it. For the purposes of the discussion, you can assume that it's real. A reasonable complaint reasonably made should always be treated reasonably.

I think we're done here, the last few replies have added nothing. Unless someone especially wants it unlocked for a specific reason, this is locked.

As Derek said, contact him in the Welfare Office with details and he'll take care of anything that needs to be taken care of and thanks for that. Peace out, y'all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement