Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody Interested in Mountain Skills Assesment or Training

Options
  • 02-03-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is anybody out there interested in doing a Mountain Skills assessment in March / April.

I am looking to do the Mountain Leader Course in the summer but need to pass this course first to do it. The main problem is they run the course up to March / Arpril but then don't run it again until September.

I have contacted a few of the providers but they all say they will run a course if they get 3 people or more but other than that they won't run it.

If i can get at least two more people interested then we can either pick a set date or they will run an Assessment when it suits us.

If anyone out there has done it already or would like to get out and just practise Navigation, Night Nav etc let me know also as i would be happy to have someone to go out and practise with :D

Anyone any thoughts or ideas let me know,

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I might be interested in this. Where are you based and what were the prices you were quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

I also may be interested depending on price etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

It is around the 170 mark for the 2 days, That seems to be standard accross them all,

I am based in South Dublin so it would suit me to do it in Wicklow but i am open to suggestions,

If anyone interested id love to hear back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

ste2006 wrote: »
    It is around the 170 mark for the 2 days, That seems to be standard accross them all,

I am based in South Dublin so it would suit me to do it in Wicklow but i am open to suggestions,

If anyone interested id love to hear back :)

That's not too bad. I'm in Dún Laoghaire, so Wicklow's best for me too.

No not too bad at all really,

Have you done Mountain Skills etc already??

PM me if you are interested or if your interested in getting out doing some practise Nav etc before it also let me know,

Well we are only one guy of getting the min three now if you can make it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

im in sandymount so wicklow is good too, would have a problem with transport though.

What company is this with?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Hi All,

Is anybody out there interested in doing a Mountain Skills assessment in March / April.

I am looking to do the Mountain Leader Course in the summer but need to pass this course first to do it. The main problem is they run the course up to March / Arpril but then don't run it again until September.

I have contacted a few of the providers but they all say they will run a course if they get 3 people or more but other than that they won't run it.

If i can get at least two more people interested then we can either pick a set date or they will run an Assessment when it suits us.

If anyone out there has done it already or would like to get out and just practise Navigation, Night Nav etc let me know also as i would be happy to have someone to go out and practise with :D

Anyone any thoughts or ideas let me know,

Thanks,

You don't need to do a mountain skills course in order to do the mountain leader training. Save yourself a bucket load if you've got walking experience and don't mind heading over to the UK.

Have a look at these

http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/course-summermountain-qualifications-display.asp?course_id=64

http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses/course-notes-detail.php?code=MQA03

ML training is way cheaper over there. Food and accomodation is included in the price!

Foolelle,

There is two or three companies doing it in April and most are willing to do a course on dates of choice if there is three or more people,

Im sure we can sort out transport or car pooling if your interested,

Tells,

Ill have a look at those links but its as much to be able to say yes i have a certain skill set and i passed MSA and hopefully at some stage pass the ML-A,

Thanks for all the replies and if anyone else interested or Donny 5, Foolelle if your interested let me know so i can talk to some of the providers,

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Plenty of dates here, and you don't need to find others.

http://www.mountaintraining.ie/index.php?lnk=courses&type=mtnskills

Bren is also one of the best in the business.

I have asked Bren and the Assesment in March is booked out and next one after that is September so no good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi ste

I have been intending on doing it.

Hi Pirelli,

PM me if your interested and well see if we can sort something out

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Tells,

Ill have a look at those links but its as much to be able to say yes i have a certain skill set and i passed MSA and hopefully at some stage pass the ML-A,

Do you hill walk regularly? Can you confidently navigate from col to summit to spur and so on in all weather conditions?
    If so, you have mountain skills. Mountain skills is not a qualification.
    For a quicker and cheaper route in becoming a mountain leader I would suggest going to the UK. I know many people that have done it this way and they saved around €500.

However, if you've no desire to become an ML then the mountain skills courses are an excellent way to learn mountain craft.

Just my 2 cents..

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Ya'll can count me in also...
    Pm me if you want to set something up...
    I've just been laid-off = when I'm not looking for a job I'll either by hiking/climbing/scrambling.
    Hitting the Mournes next week (Camping) and then I want to explore Donegal over the coming weeks.

Btw... Bren Whelan and associates have been discussing the idea of setting up a Mountain Leader group for some time.. but for many reasons.. it came to nothing... until now..
    Check out the below link... it's an open group but only those who are interested in obtaining the ML should join... (you know how it is.. some people on FB would join a 'lets get together and watch the paint dry group!'....
    Come on board...:D
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=294332196281&ref=ts

Ambrose.

Tells wrote: »
    Tells,

Do you hill walk regularly? Can you confidently navigate from col to summit to spur and so on in all weather conditions?
    If so, you have mountain skills. Mountain skills is not a qualification.
    For a quicker and cheaper route in becoming a mountain leader I would suggest going to the UK. I know many people that have done it this way and they saved around €500.

However, if you've no desire to become an ML then the mountain skills courses are an excellent way to learn mountain craft.

Just my 2 cents..

Hi Tells,

I do appreciate the advice and opinion, If i do it in the UK though do i have to register and do the assessment for it also in the UK??

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi Pirelli,

PM me if your interested and well see if we can sort something out

Not this time round ste but later in the year.

Thanks Pirelli,

Im thinking at this stage if just heading to the UK in the summer for the six days and doing it there,

Ill see sure but if anyone is interested let me know,

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Reviving this thread in case any other like minded folk are planning on doing the MSA next year.
    I did MS1 & 2 this year and didn't find them too tricky, so confident, but I'll practice too.

Eoin

Advertisement