Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Cylinder not heating

• 02-03-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi,

Am having an issue when my Central Heating (CH) is turned on in that it never actually heats up my hot water cylinder - well it's a little tepid but nothing great. I have an immersion also attached and it heats up fine with that. Is there something wrong here with this setup. The house is not actually that old but this has never worked properly. If someone could point me in the right direction anway pls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Are you using oil or gas?

It could be something like a gate valve ( has a red wheel) not open enough on the vertical pipe going into the cylinder thats bring the hot water from the boiler.
    Open this a little and see does it give you more hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

It's an oil based CH system. I didn't notice the valve but will take a look this evening and let you know - tks.

There is one gate valve from what I can see - feeding into area near bottom of tank - this copper pipe is cold. The valve is open (turned fully anti-clockwise.). Should I be looking for something else? Tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Have you ever being able to heat water in the Cylinder independently of the CH?

It not it suggest you don't have a value (normally motorised) to heat water only.

Check to see if you have two returns and two flow comings out from the boiler. If you have only one set it means your system can't heat the cylinder independently. If it has two sets then you'd normally have a value that turn off/on one set of flow and return.

I don't think so. There is a lot of pipe work coming from cylinder - I'll need to try and figure it out and I'll come back to ye - tks. for replies so far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement