Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prevent cat pee'ing on soft furnishings

Options
  • 02-03-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

:mad:

I have a 6mth old kitten & an older cat who is 6yrs old.

The older cat won't go to the toilet anywhere except a litter tray, she'd hold it in until you provided a tray.

The kitten however is another story. I found her at 7 wks & took her in & there were inevitably accidents for a few days til I taught her to use the tray. Then the accidents around the house became fewer, maybe once every few weeks I'd find a present - but it was ALWAYS on a cleanable surface such as in the bath, shower tray or on a tiled floor - so no big deal.

I figured she was fussy about the tray being uber clean & that was why I'd find an accident the odd time in the bath, so I got into a routine of taking out the turds every morning & evening & cleaning the whole thing out once or twice a week. I even had two trays on the go so one wouldn't get overloaded.

But then I discovered on one of the dis-used beds the other night, 3 big patches of cat pee!!! I was so angry as I can't for the life of me figure out why she would revert to this when happily using the tray.

We had two groups of people come to view the house last Friday for renting it so I'm wondering if this totally freaked her out. She is a nervous little thing & the only human contact she has is me & the other 1/2.

I'm planning to get her spayed very soon anyway, will this help?

I can deal with accidents on cleanable surfaces but if it's on bedding or soft furnishings, you pretty much have to throw it out as it's impossible to get the smell off it. We are due to move to a carpeted house at the end of the month & I'm terrified she is going to pee on the beds, carpet or furniture there!

Please help, any advice from anyone who's solved a problem like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Unusual urination like this in a cat can indeed be a sign of stress. They have an almost obsessive need to bury their pee/poop, which is why indoors, a litter tray is generally their preferred spot.

However, if this goes on, and you notice more peeing on soft furnishings, specifically areas that you use regularly, this can be an attention grabber, and could be an indication of a urinary tract infection also.

My advice would be to keep a close eye on her (and keep her out of the room with the furniture she's already peed on, as she'll possibly continue to top-up the scent now) and if she keeps peeing outside the tray, a trip to the vets would be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It could be stress from the strangers, but peeing on soft furnishings is very often caused by UTI, one of my cats is very prone to them and when she has them she'll try all different surfaces in an attempt to make going to the toilet less unpleasant. If she goes on doing it, I'd take her to the vet.

Soaking stuff in biological washing liquid should get the smell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks guys.

I'd never considered a UTI. My other cat used to get cystitis all the time & would pee in the bath to relieve discomfort but the pee would come out pinkish (from blood). Also she'd lick the bejaysus out of her crotch when she had it, but I've not observed this with the kitten.

Also, do you find that they chill out a bit after being spayed & does it help with the pee'ing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Is it possible that she maybe coming into heat? It can distress them quite a bit at first and peeing can be from leaving her scent around. Spaying would fix that.
    Also I woud be using 3 litter trays, some cats don't like using a tray more than once(like one of mine:rolleyes:) or if another cat has used it. 1 tray each and 1 spare would be best.
    A solution of warm water and washing powder on soft furnishings to get rid of the smell(not non bio) and try cleaning the trays with a little vinegar on a damp cloth and leave to dry well.

No accidents so far since the above, going to toilet in tray so don't think it's a uti

Yes I think the heat thing might be an issue. She's started scratching me more (unprovoked), all her teats have come out & she's rubbing up against things more :P

Definitely going to try & get her spayed before the move at the end of the month. She needs to get a general checkup anyway.

Thanks for all the tips

• Advertisement

I'm resurrecting this again as same sort of problem but a bit different.
    Got kitten spayed & specifically had the vet check for UTI's while she was under. No problems there & in good health. She's recovered from the op no problems.

Ok so problem is she now will only pee & poo in the bath tub. I have tried several different litters including going back to ones I know she's used in the past, having 3 trays, trying to patiently train her. I work each day so I can't watch her all the time to stop her going in the bath.

I am very glad that she is not going to the loo on any rugs, bedding etc, the bath is easy to clean. But we are moving into a carpeted house on Saturday :eek: & there is only one bathroom & we have to shower in that bath tub!!

I know cats are supposed to be naturally inclined to dig in gravel stuff to do their business but this kitten is not interested. Has anyone else come across this?

So... I was thinking of getting some sort of ceramic (or similar texture to the bath) basin to put in the bath & hopefully get her to go in that so I can clean it each day & we don't have to shower in a previously poo'd in bath.

Advertisement