Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaceful Protest against KCC (sallins)

Options
  • 02-03-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

There is to be a demonstration by the residents and people using the Junction between the Sallins rd and the Osberstown rd on the 13th March 12.30pm to 2.30pm. Its is a legal peaceful and safe demonstration.

There will be a picket line along the road and will be properly organised to ensure both protesters and drivers are not at risk.

It is aimed to build awareness of the Kildare County Councils inability to deal with the ongoing safety problem at the junction.

Lights where installed there. Kept on for one day. And turned off.

Now the light have been taken down and used somewhere else. The poles and underground wiring remain ..This junction is near impossible to exit most times of the day. Which in turn leads to frustration and dangerous lunges to exit. I have seen this many times myself. There has already been many crashes there.
    The Garda are currently doing a safety assessment of the junction.

the KCC have removed the road side protest signs as soon as they are erected. Hoping the matter might blow over.

Until a car full of kids is hit by an truck. Is this what its going to take??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 villeneuve

gsxr1 wrote: »
    There is to be a demonstration by the residents and people using the Junction between the Sallins rd and the Osberstown rd on the 13th March 12.30pm to 2.30pm. Its is a legal peaceful and safe demonstration.

There will be a picket line along the road and will be properly organised to ensure both protesters and drivers are not at risk.

It is aimed to build awareness of the Kildare County Councils inability to deal with the ongoing safety problem at the junction.

Lights where installed there. Kept on for one day. And turned off.

Now the light have been taken down and used somewhere else. The poles and underground wiring remain ..This junction is near impossible to exit most times of the day. Which in turn leads to frustration and dangerous lunges to exit. I have seen this many times myself. There has already been many crashes there.
    The Garda are currently doing a safety assessment of the junction.

the KCC have removed the road side protest signs as soon as they are erected. Hoping the matter might blow over.

Until a car full of kids is hit by an truck. Is this what its going to take??

who is organising this event?? Is it a political party??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Is this being organised by Sinn Fein? They had some posters up at the junction last week looking for lights - I thought they were looking for more street lights.

Sallins already has 2 pedestrian lights (badly needed) and two sets of traffic lights, will another set here just cause chaos at the monread rd roundabout and casuse more delays in Sallins.

A yellow box will do the job for anyone turning right from Sallins onto Osberstown Rd and right from Osberstown Rd towards Monread Rd - these would seem to be the most likely options for fustrated drivers to 'lunge'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Is this being organised by Sinn Fein? They had some posters up at the junction last week looking for lights - I thought they were looking for more street lights.

Sallins already has 2 pedestrian lights (badly needed) and two sets of traffic lights, will another set here just cause chaos at the monread rd roundabout and casuse more delays in Sallins.

A yellow box will do the job for anyone turning right from Sallins onto Osberstown Rd and right from Osberstown Rd towards Monread Rd - these would seem to be the most likely options for fustrated drivers to 'lunge'.

Your assessment is and yellow box assessment is mistaken. Do you really believe a yellow box will stop the constant accidents at the junction?
    if the KCC would just consider the problem and made some attempt to fix it . It would be a big step.

The sinn Fein will not be branding the protest with any political banners or logos.Its purely a resident issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The sinn Fein will not be branding the protest with any political banners or logos.Its purely a resident issue.

Perhaps not, but if you're going to try and promote such an event in future on this forum, make sure you disclose all the facts, and don't just cherry pick to pluck on people's heart strings.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but if you're going to try and promote such an event in future on this forum, make sure you disclose all the facts, and don't just cherry pick to pluck on people's heart strings.

I do apologize.
    I thought that since there was no sign of the parties involvement anywhere in the protest that it had no relevance in the posting.
    And the poster who used their first post to bring up the issue?

Anyway . its not about the sinn fein or who ever.

Its about the people of sallins being able to use the road in their own village.

put yourself in our position.

we live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Fitting more lights to this junction will not solve the problem, they were installed, turned on and back off and so must be a genuine reason for this?
    As a previous poster has mentioned Sallins has already 4 sets of lights and adding to this will only add to further delays.
    I can't ever see the ring road getting built. Would some form of speed bumps/humps help with slowing traffic down at the junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Your assessment is and yellow box assessment is mistaken. Do you really believe a yellow box will stop the constant accidents at the junction?
    if the KCC would just consider the problem and made some attempt to fix it . It would be a big step.

Have you spoken to or engaged with KCC on this matter? Did you ask them why the lights were switched on, then removed? Did they give you a reason?

Have you sought and obtained professional advice on what's the best way to calm traffic at the junction? Yes, there are people more qualified in this than you (and possibly even KCC).

Typical Sinn Feiners, get out and protest against someone you won't even speak to about something you know nothing about.

I live in clane and go through that junction very regularly. A yellow box and maybe some ramps would totally fix that problem. Lights only add to traffic, and lord knows there are enough lights and traffic in Sallins already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I live in Sallins and I really hope they don't put those lights back on. The town is busy enough and those lights didn't help it one bit when they were switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

...And the poster who used their first post to bring up the issue?...Anyway . its not about the sinn fein or who ever.

Its about the people of sallins being able to use the road in their own village. put yourself in our position. we live here.

I live in Sallins too and re it being a residents issue - our residents' association wasnt contacted to take part in the protest. Did you contact Sallins Community Council?

Were the residents association (if there are any) from Osberstown Cottages and Oldbridge represented?

I agree with previous posters that we dont need another set of traffic lights but would be interested to find out why they were deemed necessary in the first place and then removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

One thing will solve it, bypass Sallins. Traffic lights won't work, they were clearly taken down as they added to the already appalling traffic situation in Sallins. The area is too small for a roundabout. Speed bumbs, not a hope. A yellow box is the best solution but will only work if the traffic volume is also reduced and in order to do this, fingers need to be pulled out and the Sallins bypass needs to go into operation. IMO, this is what we should be protesting for.

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    One thing will solve it, bypass Sallins.

Speed bumbs, not a hope. A yellow box is the best solution but will only work if the traffic volume is also reduced and in order to do this, fingers need to be pulled out and the Sallins bypass needs to go into operation. IMO, this is what we should be protesting for.

Where would the money come from to fund this?
    Why wouldn't speed bumps work? They are for slowing traffic and this one of the major reasons the OP posted, a yellow box is not going to do anything for you if you have cars speeding by and someone is trying to pull out from the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

ronaneire wrote: »
    Where would the money come from to fund this?
    Why wouldn't speed bumps work? They are for slowing traffic and this one of the major reasons the OP posted, a yellow box is not going to do anything for you if you have cars speeding by and someone is trying to pull out from the junction.

The acquiring of money for the bypass feeds into a far greater state of affairs in the country at the moment, I'm not saying it's easily got, just that none of the temporary solutions will be of any use.

Speed bumps would have a horrific effect for the location in question is just after a set of main traffic lights which already slow up traffic and it is just before a major roundabout. Traffic will come to a crawl and though safety would improve, fender benders and the like would soar.

The acquiring of money for the bypass feeds into a far greater state of affairs in the country at the moment, I'm not saying it's easily got, just that none of the temporary solutions will be of any use.

Speed bumps would have a horrific effect for the location in question is just after a set of main traffic lights which already slow up traffic and it is just before a major roundabout. Traffic will come to a crawl and though safety would improve, fender benders and the like would soar.

the traffic is at a crawl only at rush hour.

I would support speed bumps. Lads drive way to fast through the village.

there is a national school . busy shops and a creshe on that main street. And two blind crests thrown in right at those points

I fail to see how slower traffic would cause more accidents??

They work very well in Leixlip.

they may seem inconvenient to passers by in cars.
    But I believe passing traffic should not be put before the safety of the people who live here. The speed limit should also be dropped at the roundabout to 50
    And garda speed checks now and then to enforce it.
    I have kids who walk that road every day to school. Slower traffic would cure a lot of problems in the village.

No your correct, it is not easily got. It was looked at several years back to by-pass Sallins and it didn't happen then and it is not going to happen in the very near future.

Spead bumps/ramps slow the speed of traffic, not stop it. At peak times the traffic is at a crawl. When it's not at a crawl is when they will come in to use.

I believe this is the reason the OP first posted. I'm not sure of your driving experience but I do know they slow speeding traffic and yes can be a pain in the face but they function very well for purpose of them being there.

ronaneire wrote: »
    No your correct, it is not easily got. It was looked at several years back to by-pass Sallins and it didn't happen then and it is not going to happen in the very near future.

Spead bumps/ramps slow the speed of traffic, not stop it. At peak times the traffic is at a crawl. When it's not at a crawl is when they will come in to use.

I believe this is the reason the OP first posted. I'm not sure of your driving experience but I do know they slow speeding traffic and yes can be a pain in the face but they function very well for purpose of them being there.

The type in Carragh I find to be very harse and even at 10kph can bump very hard. But those smooth ramps in leixlip can be taken easly at 30kph with out any overly harse bang on the motor.

It could be brought up at the next meeting when arranged.

My main concern is to the safety of my family who use the junction in question every day. There is hundreds of houses been built recently in sallins on the osberstown rd. And more houses have been finished and sold this month.

The junction that exists really should be considered by the KCC.
    There is little chance of lights , but somthing has to be done. Before someone is hurt.

This junction exists in the 6o kph zone. not the 50.

Advertisement