Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car serivces

• 02-03-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the difference between different type's of car services,
    Rang a ford dealer about service prices for a 03 focus,

The lady told me there's two types
    an intermediate (i think its called) for 180
    some of the stuff she said included was oil change,filter change, spark plugs checking lights, front brakes, tyres

but she also mentioned a full service for 280, i didnt really understand
    what extra you get for this, does anyone know what usually a full service is?

also would i better off going to a garage isntead of a main dealer? is there
    any advantages of going to a main dealer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

omega666 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the difference between different type's of car services,
    Rang a ford dealer about service prices for a 03 focus,

The lady told me there's two types
    an intermediate (i think its called) for 180
    some of the stuff she said included was oil change,filter change, spark plugs checking lights, front brakes, tyres

but she also mentioned a full service for 280, i didnt really understand
    what extra you get for this, does anyone know what usually a full service is?

also would i better off going to a garage isntead of a main dealer? is there
    any advantages of going to a main dealer?

Thanks

I'd be very wary of that, to be honest.

Never known a service to include brakes or tyres. And a full service for €280? Bloody hell, what are they including, gold oil?

A service for a focus (same as mine) is
    Oil change
    Oil filter
    Plugs
    Leads
    Air Filter
    (*Pollen Filter in some places)
    Fuel filter is in the fuel tank and a right pain in the ass to do, most places leave it.

and thats really about it.

No advantage to going to a main dealer, find a good independent garage, and it'll be MUCH cheaper.

Personally, I do my servicing myself, and about €50, and about an hour of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

Never known a service to include brakes or tyres. And a full service for €280? Bloody hell, what are they including, gold oil?

Oil change
    Oil filter
    Plugs
    Leads
    Air Filter
    Fuel filter is in the fuel tank and a right pain in the ass to do, most places leave it.

No advantage to going to a main dealer, find a good independent garage, and it'll be MUCH cheaper.

Personally, I do my servicing myself, and about €50, and about an hour of my time.

thanks i think they meant just a visual inspection of brakes, tyre etc..
    turns out i need the timing belt done as well :(

ive got a quote for 500 - 600 for a full service and timing belt.
    Anyone know of a good independent garage in south dublin that would be cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Oil change
    Oil filter
    Plugs
    Leads
    Air Filter

When you say leads do you mean the HT leads changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

omega666 wrote: »
    thanks i think they meant just a visual inspection of brakes, tyre etc..
    turns out i need the timing belt done as well :(

ive got a quote for 500 - 600 for a full service and timing belt.
    Anyone know of a good independent garage in south dublin that would be cheaper?

There's a member on here, FORD_JEDI, i think he does the timing belt for around the 230 mark and full service for around 150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It would be a good idea to get the water pump done also. The two jobs are usually done together.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    When you say leads do you mean the HT leads changed?

Reckon he does, a bit of a waste replacing them unless they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

RoverJames wrote: »
    Reckon he does, a bit of a waste replacing them unless they need it.

Yeah, wouldn't think they would ever need replacing unless they were corroded badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah, sorry just getting back to this thread now.

Yeah, HT leads, and only replace if necessary.

€600 for service and timing belt? Man they know how to charge.

Reminds me, must get the water pump and timing belt done on mine soon. As I said, find an inde, one that will appreciate the work, and do as good, if not better, a job, for a more reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yeah, sorry just getting back to this thread now.

Yeah, HT leads, and only replace if necessary.

€600 for service and timing belt? Man they know how to charge.

Reminds me, must get the water pump and timing belt done on mine soon. As I said, find an inde, one that will appreciate the work, and do as good, if not better, a job, for a more reasonable price.

True, a main brand dealership in Navan offering cambelt change on an Alfa 156jtd for €300, have to say I was pleasantly suprised.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement