Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change a house name?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

We've just bought a detached house that has a name (no number). The wife doesn't like the name of the house and thinks we should change it to something nicer. Does anyone know if it is possible at all, and if it is what's the procedure for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Tbh I doubt there's anything official you have to do...just change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

But it's on the deeds and registry and all that... surely the county council, emergency services, etc need to know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then tell those people.

Inform An Post first, otherwise you won't receive any replies to correspondance informing others of the new name.

They may also be able to advise you on who else needs informing.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    But it's on the deeds and registry and all that... surely the county council, emergency services, etc need to know about it?

Fair enough, didn't think about that. I suppose you should get onto the county council so. In more rural areas I always thought the postman just worked of the family name and any house name was there for purely ornamental reasons. Plenty of the houses around where I'm from wouldn't have any name on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just change it and tell An Post and anyone else who needs there; eg esb and phone.

This house has an old name and our new name, but sometimes it gets referred to by the landlord's name still.

But no one has ever used the old name to us. Many rural houses have no name or number as you say. It is superfluous.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

MuffinsDa wrote: »

Had the same and did ask my sollicitor about it
    She told me to change it in the deeds costs a lot of money so i left it on that for what it was
    i made a new name sign a little bigger than the original one and hung it over the original
    If i ever think about selling the house i take it off and the original name is back

Advertisement