Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple sues HTC for infringing 20 iPhone patents(Android HTC products specifically)

• 02-03-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Great Googly moogly on this one anyway.Should end up being counter sue city
    Looks like Apple's going on the warpath, kids. Just a few months after Cupertino got into it with Nokia over phone patents, Apple's filed suit against HTC, alleging that the company is infringing 20 patents "related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture, and hardware." Steve, you have something to say?
    "We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."
    Okay then. We're pulling the complaint filing now, we'll let you know the exact details as soon as we learn them.
    Engadget

Full patent list here (patent illustrations too so cant really quote)

One of them seems to cover any interaction with any object humanly possible :confused:

Update: Also they seem to be targeting HTC Android products specifically according to engadget

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Oh look, Steve Jobs wants his ball back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Good old Apple, didn't see this coming a mile away or anything! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Looks like theyre targeting HTC Win-Mo phones because of the chips in them but targeting the Android phones just cause they use Android :pac:
    The big G wont be impressed

I seen that! And over 700 articles! Really suggests there clutching at straws trying to cause as much hassle for HTC as possible by just getting anything on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They're throwing all the sh*t at the wall, and hoping something sticks.
    I hope the judge laughs them out of the court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

The irony when Apple steal everyone elses ideas all the time.

angel01 wrote: »
    The irony when Apple steal everyone elses ideas all the time.

oh uh, expect a statement from Apple saying there suing you in the next hour :D

As a lecturer in college said Apple are very good at taking other stuff, putting it in a nice package and marketing it really really well, there not exactly that innovative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Apple are also requesting an immediate injunction preventing HTC from shipping/selling any more phones in the U.S!

This means they would also stop Google and Microsoft from selling their HTC phones also - this would obviously put HTC under a lot of financial pressure and I don't think either MS or Google would like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

draffodx wrote: »
    As a lecturer in college said ...

So it must be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

"Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices"

This is why I no longer support Apple. They're bastards. Reminds me of this article on Cracked.com - http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Most of these patents have prior art dating back as far as the 70's and 80's. Heck Xerox had a "Object Oriented Graphical Operating System" in the late 70's with Smalltalk environment running on Xerox Star, there is prior art on multi-touch from the 80's to do with Bell labs etc.

This case reflects badly on the Patent office in the US for granting clearly nonsensical patents. I think Apple main goal here is to basically block HTC from selling in the US market for duration of the case which could go on for a couple of years. I would have thought monopolistic behaviour like this is why there is a whole Anti-Trust system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

marymc wrote: »
    This is why I no longer support Apple. They're bastards. Reminds me of this article on Cracked.com - http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html
    Good article, I am an ex Apple fanboi having obsessed about them since owning the original imac. But no longer, they are too controlling, I don't want to be told how to use my property. Am currently a HTC & android user, I hope they sting Apple with a massive counter suit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html

Nice overview of Multi-touch technologies dating back to 1982. As you can see "pinch to zoom" has existed in prior art long before Apple patented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I hope for a swift victory for Nokia's iphone lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Is Steve Jobs on Twitter? Someone should tell him to stop throwing his rattle out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

they'll be claiming they invented binary next..

Advertisement