Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Name is Muhammad

• 02-03-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

On Sunday 28 February, BBC1 broadcast a programme called "My Name is Muhammad", which involved interviews with nine people whose first name or family name is "Muhammmad" (not necessarily spelled this way). The interviewees included some people who converted to Islam, some who grew up as Muslims, women as well as men, with a wide range of personal backgrounds and views about Islam.

The programme has been uploaded on YouTube in three parts. Here's a link to Part 1:

Here's Part 2:

Here's Part 3:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So, there riffing on the Sharukh Khan Bollywood flick, My Name is Khan :D. Its an interesting idea to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

I watched the Dispatches documentary about the Islamic Forum Europe on Channel 4. Chilling stuff. Its a shame that some groups extremists views tend to get more airtime than moderates' views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Blasphemous title. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I watched the Dispatches documentary about the Islamic Forum Europe on Channel 4. Chilling stuff. Its a shame that some groups extremists views tend to get more airtime than moderates' views.

Just caught up with this documentary on Channel 4 on Demand. The programme discussed how a Muslim organisation based in the London Muslim Centre (associated with the East London Mosque in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets) appeared to be attempting to infiltrate the Borough Council and the local Labour Party. Some of the tactics appeared a bit reminiscent of the sort of cronyism that is not at all strange in government bodies in Ireland, but there were some particularly interesting insights. For example, the programme pointed out that the majority of Muslims in Tower Hamlets are of Bangladeshi background, but the intellectual inspiration for the Muslim organisation being investigated came more from Pakistan, from people and groups that actually opposed the independence of Bangladesh. Another point that came across, which has been discussed on this forum, is how small organisations that are prepared to speak and act quickly and claim to represent the "Muslim community" can be taken more seriously than larger organisations that are more slow to get their acts together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

hivizman wrote: »
    The programme discussed how a Muslim organisation based in the London Muslim Centre (associated with the East London Mosque in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets) appeared to be attempting to infiltrate the Borough Council and the local Labour Party.

Funny how they don't talk about a group who have already infiltrated most political parties and media organisations in the UK :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Funny how they don't talk about a group who have already infiltrated most political parties and media organisations in the UK :rolleyes:

Which group would that be? Seriously, I'm not sure who you mean.

I was wondering that as well. :)
    DKZ wrote: »
    Blasphemous title. :(

The are several hadiths in which Muhammad talks of good names. He states that it is permissible to call boys after the Prophet, but the best of names are "Abdullah" (slave of Allah), or names based on the "beautiful names of Allah", such as "Abdul Rahman" or "Abdul Malik". So there is nothing blasphemous about humans being called "Muhammad", and it is the most popular male name in the world-wide Muslim community.

You may be thinking about the Sudanese teddy bear blasphemy case, but, although one or two of the people in the TV programme "My Name is Muhammad" may have looked like teddy bears, they were all human. :)

There was a helpful article about the use of Muhammad as a name on the BBC website after the Sudanese teddy bear case.

Zionists.

Zionists.
    I don't know who you mean

I lied. I actually thought that's what you meant.

I lied. I actually thought that's what you meant.

Do you agree or disagree?

• Advertisement

Do you agree or disagree?

Before I answer that, I need two things from you: 1. What exactly do you mean by Zionist? It means different things to different people, and I for one am not entirely sure of its meaning. 2. Some examples of this "infiltration".

I don't have an opinion as of yet; Zionists aren't the kind of people I keep my eyes peeled for when I'm reading the news and they're not the kind of people I watch out for when I vote. In fact, the whole Israel question kind of bores me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Zionists.

Ummm, is there a Zionist organization that has infiltrated the Labour Party? In this instance, they're talking about a particular organised group using entryism.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Ummm, is there a Zionist organization that has infiltrated the Labour Party? In this instance, they're talking about a particular organised group using entryism.

P.

I would say there is. Anyway, it's a discussion for the Politics, or perhaps conspiracies forum, not here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Zionists.

Dispatches has done reports on plenty of groups, and they have done reports on Zionists as well:

Inside Britain's Israel Lobby

Dispatches goes after everyone pretty much, and not just Muslim groups, and in this case they have exposed a pretty dodgy group imho, but as you can be seen from the above, they don't spare Zionists the same kind of scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Thanks for the link hivizman. Must check it out sometime when I have the chance.

To all, it's been a while :) Pray I have the opportunity to post here at least half as frequently as I did before :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zionists.

There are as many islamists as there are zionists in the greater London area. Probably more so.

the_new_mr wrote: »
    Thanks for the link hivizman. Must check it out sometime when I have the chance.

To all, it's been a while :) Pray I have the opportunity to post here at least half as frequently as I did before :)

Salaam bro, welcome back :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Zionists.

And your justification for this would be...?

Orizio wrote: »
    And your justification for this would be...?

What do you mean justification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

What do you mean justification?

I am guessing he means why do you hold this opinion

• Advertisement

I am guessing he means why do you hold this opinion

If that's what he means then I ask him to watch the documentary Wes linked to on the previous page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

wes wrote: »
    Dispatches has done reports on plenty of groups, and they have done reports on Zionists as well:

Inside Britain's Israel Lobby

Dispatches goes after everyone pretty much, and not just Muslim groups, and in this case they have exposed a pretty dodgy group imho, but as you can be seen from the above, they don't spare Zionists the same kind of scrutiny.

That particular episode appears to be missing, at least I can't find it.

That particular episode appears to be missing, at least I can't find it.

You are correct - it's not on the list of past episodes of Dispatches on 4 on Demand. I understand that (except for a guaranteed period of 28 days after first broadcast) the individual production companies that make the programmes broadcast in the Dispatches slot have to agree that their programmes are available on-line on 4oD. So there are only five more days available to see the "Britain's Islamic Republic" episode broadcast on 5 March 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Salaam bro, welcome back :-)

I see you've become a moderator since I left. Good to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Zionists.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I would say there is. Anyway, it's a discussion for the Politics, or perhaps conspiracies forum, not here!

Yes, thats for discussion there.

You're onyl allowed to make anti-semetic innuendo

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yes, thats for discussion there.

You're onyl allowed to make anti-semetic innuendo

I havn't made any anti-semetic comments. People like you who throw around the term so freely dilute the true meaning and actually do a disservice to Jews.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism
    Anti-semitism is prejudice against or hostility towards Jews, often rooted in hatred of their ethnic background, culture, and/or religion. In its extreme form, it "attributes to the Jews an exceptional position among all other civilizations, defames them as an inferior group and denies their being part of the nation" in which they reside.[1] A person who practices antisemitism is called an "antisemite."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I havn't made any anti-semetic comments. People like you who throw around the term so freely dilute the true meaning and actually do a disservice to Jews.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

You dont believe you have a prejudice against jews?

You've just claimed that they've infitrated most political parties and media organisations in the UK.

That seems pretty prejudical to me, do you have any proof that they have infiltrated them? And havent just joined them as member of a free society looking for employment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Fuhrer banned 1 month. Everyone knows the drill. Not open for discussion on this thread or forum.

Not sure why the thread got bumped. I'll leave it for other mods if they want to lock the thread.

Yes Hobbes, I think it's time to put this one to bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement