Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Insurance, waiting on disc

• 02-03-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

So my insurance expired at the start of this month, instead of the end like I thought. Cue some panic insurance shopping this weekend and Its done. Problem is, I have paid online, and I sent off my proof of NCB yesterday, but its going to take a while before I get the disc and cert. According to the insurers website it says I`m covered, but I`m guessing that wont cover me against driving with no valid insurance disc from the boys in blue ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, you should be covered now to drive anyway so it's up to you to chance it meeting a grumpy Garda instead of one that will let you bring the disc in later to the station.
    The most important aspect is that you're covered in the case there is a collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I have been caught by this once before too, cost me 60 euro after I brought in the insurance cert. I just know the one time Id venture out I would get collered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Yer just be careful where you park they can do you for not displaying it and as above it's a 60 euro fine, although I'm sure if you were to contest it you'd probably get off, outside of that most guards are grand about it, will make you bring it in within 5 days or so to the station, if not you'll end up with a court summons, absoultly worst case senario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are stopped by a Gardai they most likely will ask you just to produce your insurance cert within 10 working days at a Garda Station of your choice.

The important thing is that you are actually insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are stopped by a Gardai they most likely will ask you just to produce your insurance cert within 10 working days at a Garda Station of your choice.

The important thing is that you are actually insured.

+1

I would always print out the screens from when you paid online. What reasonable Garda would do you for not displaying an insurance disc then?

You'll have to produce the cert alright later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'M Curious, whats a valid NCB? Should that be NCT?

Often wondered about buying insurance online? have been with broker for nearly 15 years and got hammered last year despite a 15 year no claims record. My situation is unusual, still on provisional as i was in and out of the country with work commitments (I know, do the test etc etc)

Whats the process of getting insurance online?

Advice appreciated!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Did you get a confirmation e-mail from them? I'm sure that would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dempo1 wrote: »

Nope. NCB (No Claims Bonus)

When you buy insurance online, you're asked to enter your details and one question is always how many years NCB you have. When you enter the number of years and "buy" the insurance online, the insurer might ask you to send them proof (from your previous insurer) that you indeed have the NCB you claim you have.

Often wondered about buying insurance online? have been with broker for nearly 15 years and got hammered last year despite a 15 year no claims record. My situation is unusual, still on provisional as i was in and out of the country with work commitments (I know, do the test etc etc)

Whats the process of getting insurance online?

Advice appreciated!

As said above, Its No Claims Bonus.

You might find shopping around online quite hard if your NCB situation is unusal, not to mention being on a provisional for so long. I had a similar situation with named driver status, many companys just wont recogonize it.

My biggest concern about online insurance is that you may not be able to convey all the information correctly, and there would be nothing worse than the insurance company turning around and declaring your policy void in the case of a claim.

Get some quotes over the phone, or even off the net, odds are they will be lower, if your with a company for 15 years they are going to raise your rate, getting good insurance rates is all about haggleing.

Thanks for that, i have actually had full insurance for nearly 20 years including fully comp, i am still wondering about this NCB status, what is this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Thanks for that, i have actually had full insurance for nearly 20 years including fully comp, i am still wondering about this NCB status, what is this?

fully comp? on a provisional? didn't think that was possible tbh.
    NCB - proof that you haven't claimed off your previous insurer.

tbh wrote: »
    fully comp? on a provisional? didn't think that was possible tbh.
    NCB - proof that you haven't claimed off your previous insurer.

A now i understand, yes it is possible, i can assure you I have had it for the past eight years as i had newish cars. I also get the yearly no claims certificate so it would not be a problem proving this. I have also been with the same insurance company through a broker for 15 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no I'm not doubting you man, a quick search there says it's possible. It's just one of those things I always thought was a fact :) Think I heard it in school or something.

tbh wrote: »
    no I'm not doubting you man, a quick search there says it's possible. It's just one of those things I always thought was a fact :) Think I heard it in school or something.

Hi TBH, yeah, i guess it may be because i have been with the same insurer for long i guess! normally i am delighted with the renewal quotes but last year i was hammered like many other i guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

have been with broker for nearly 15 years and got hammered last year despite a 15 year no claims record. My situation is unusual, still on provisional as i was in and out of the country with work commitments (I know, do the test etc etc)

15 years on a provisional :eek: Time to apply for the test i think. If you know when you'll out of the country, you can select certain dates that you won't be here. Also, you can cancel it twice if you can't make it on the test date.

Every year you are with your insurer you get a No Claims Bonus (NCB) discount (as I`m sure you know). You should get a letter every year with your renewal stating your NCB, so if you want to switch to another company you can carry it with you.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    15 years on a provisional :eek: Time to apply for the test i think. If you know when you'll out of the country, you can select certain dates that you won't be here. Also, you can cancel it twice if you can't make it on the test date.

Yes, i know, its the nature of my work over the past few years, sometimes 9 months away but back home fully now so need to get my act together LOL:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

An insurance disc is not needed until 10 days after the insurance has been arranged.

Jo King wrote: »
    An insurance disc is not needed until 10 days after the insurance has been arranged.

Is that in the regs somewhere ? Thing is I wouldnt trust a gardai to know that anyway, I was told that bus lanes are usable during bank holidays, but I still got stopped and fined when I got lost in Dublin and went down the wrong street.

Fortunatly I got my disc now so all is well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

imitation wrote: »
    Is that in the regs somewhere ? Thing is I wouldnt trust a gardai to know that anyway, I was told that bus lanes are usable during bank holidays, but I still got stopped and fined when I got lost in Dublin and went down the wrong street.

Fortunatly I got my disc now so all is well.

S.I. No. 355/1984:

ROAD TRAFFIC (INSURANCE DISC) REGULATIONS, 1984.

5. (1) When a vehicle is used in a public place the insurance disc for the vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times after the expiry of 10 days from the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0355.html

Show me a guard who knows that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement