Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Lettuce?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello all and apologies if the following is pure stupidity (I'm a real beginner!)

I recently bought 2 lettuces with root clumps in Lidl and they were so yummy, I decided to keep the clumps and re-plant them. Is this going to work?

Now, the roots are all there, the clump is a small cube, quite dry and I left the heart of the lettuce on, but with no leaves. I don't know how deep I have to plant them and if I should put them behind a sunny window or what...

Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well it would not be a usual thing to do, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a go. First dampen the roots, put them in a saucer of water till they are well soaked. Put some compost (not just peat moss, compost has nutrients in it) in a pot and put in the root balls, then fill with compost to level with the top of the roots/exisiting soil line. Put in a bright window and keep watered.
    Meanwhile, when the weather warms up a bit, put compost in a rather larger pot and put a very thin sprinkle of salad leaves seeds on top, cover with a thin layer of compost and keep moist. As the plants come up, take off leaves rather than pulling up the entire plant, and it should keep you in salad leaves for a while.
    Remember that the lettuce from Lidl will have been grown in absolutely perfect conditions, so your kitchen windowledge might not give you quite the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Froggy7

Thanks looksee! I'll try and keep you posted on the progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got this lettuce a few weeks ago and just put it in a bowl and water it as required. I just pick off the leaves as I need them and it's thriving so far.

Advertisement