Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with logbook question

• 02-03-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have a bit of a problem and id be grateful for any advice or info, Have tried Shannon, but they are not answering the phones due to industrial action:(

I had an accident last year and am still not back on the road, but during a brief flash of optimism/madness i bought another bike last september, which was a northern import which i have paid the VRT on. Now this is where my problem starts....

As i am still not back on the road i decided the sensible thing would be to sell the recently purchased bike. She has not been taxed since i bought it so therefore i do not have the log book. I would prefer to sell it with the logbook (my other set of wheels has been taxed and insured since last year and she has only been ridden once so i kinda begrudge having to tax and insure another just to sell it!!)
    I thought i had found a way of getting the log book by "selling" it to my brother, who would then sell it on, thus changing ownership but have been told that they will not send out the log book till it is taxed.

As i said it is off the road, so i am not obliged to tax it. I just want to sell it with documentation, which i dont seem to be entitled to get until i do tax it.
    Also to tax it i have to give insurance details!!! The only documentation i have at the moment is the print out from the vrt. Is there any way i can get this documentation or am i going to have to cough up for tax etc?:(

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

You you not have the NI paperwork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

You you not have the NI paperwork?

No, I had to hand in the Ni logbook when i paid the VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

So if you taxed the bike on the day they would have issued a log book? So they are holding your log book for ransom? Surely you can own a bike that you do not want to drive and hence not pay road tax? It doesn't sounds very fair.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its always been the case that they dont issue the VLC till you first tax a bike, and in most cases its a non issue, as vehicles get taxed straightaway.

It is possible to change the ownership by sending a letter detailing the situation to shannon. Im not aware of a particular form to do it with.
    The new owner gets the tax book when they tax the bike. Its not ideal, but I think its where youre stuck right now.

You could temp change your insurance and tax the bike, no?

The change of ownership isnt really that much of an issue as (from what ive read) if i sell it prior to first taxing i just send the tax form that the vrt gave me along with a change of ownership form. Thing is, most people arent interested in buying something without the logbook, and i can only get the logbook if i tax it. I dont know it just seems wrong to me that as the legal owner of the bike im not entitled to the logbook unless i tax it,even though it is not being used on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

you dont need to tax it to get the log book. Where did you hear that from. If your in the republic send me on the reg and ill get one of my brothers to check it on the guard pulse to see that its in your name.
    As the legal owner you should already have the log book. Dont worry boy. If you want i can check its in your name. You can buy a bike and never tax it. You dont need to tax it unless its on the road.

You dont need the guards to check its in your name you just phone shannon and ask.

seanybiker wrote: »
    you dont need to tax it to get the log book.
    As the legal owner you should already have the log book. Dont worry boy.

The log book is in Shannon as it was taken off me when i paid the vrt on it in september, which is why i do not have it. I do not know of any way to get them to send out the log book unless i tax it, which i would prefer not to do if at all possible. I think it is just more straight forward to sell the bike with all the documents in place.
    I know the procedure is there for the buyer to get the paperwork afterwards but surely as the owner of the motorcycle, if i choose not to put it on the road am i not entitled to the paperwork for it all the same?

Will give shannon a call when i get back from my Physio appointment.

Btw seanybiker im female ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Balance the cost of the minimum tax payable versus the grief and effort involved in trying to avoid it. You know it makes sense.

69 wrote: »
    Balance the cost of the minimum tax payable versus the grief and effort involved in trying to avoid it. You know it makes sense.

You make it sound like im trying to break the law!!!
    The bike is not, and has not been on the road since i bought it.
    I only want the log book so i can sell the bike with all the documents present. I am not trying to evade motor tax.
    The minimum you can tax a motorcycle for is 12 months.

• Advertisement

chasm wrote: »
    The bike is not, and has not been on the road since i bought it.
    I only want the log book so i can sell the bike with all the documents present. I am not trying to evade motor tax.
    You cant. afaik the document you want does not exist till the bike is first taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

chasm wrote: »
    Not at all, I intended no such implication. I thought you could tax it for three months like a car. I didn't realise it was a full year tax needed. I just thought it would be the cheapest way out for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

69 wrote: »

Fvck that, that attitude is part of what's wrong with Ireland.

OP, tell Shannon they can go sh1te if they think you're taxing the bike to get your reg. cert:
    1) You don't need road tax to change ownership of a vehicle.
    2) The Gardai are responsible for making sure vehicles are taxed, not Shannon.

Cause a fuss and I'm sure they'll just send your form out to avoid the hassle of arguing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

I have just been through the same thing - bike was imported from uk, bike was vrt'd, was given a rf100 form and only once it was taxed did i get the log book but i had to get a form for no use of the bike signed by the gaurds. The rf100 form is just as good as the tax book until you decide to tax it, hope this will hep

Advertisement