Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever done this course - CMIT FETAC Level 6 Certificate in Digital Photography

• 02-03-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi,
    I really want to develop my photography.. I've been reading up on it in books & on-line constantly over the last few months. I've been taking photos out & about & at home, I've joined the local camera club but still feel I need something or someone to guide me & organise some sort of a plan for me. I would like it to be something I can make money from in the future - childrens portraits, landscapes, macro shots & maybe even weddings one day! I don't think I just want it as a hobby. I've been looking at a few courses & like the look of this one & also like the idea of distance learning.. Money isn't exactly flush so if I do decide to complete a course, I want to make sure I've chosen the right course/course of action. Has anyone completed this or does anyone know anything about it or can anyone make any suggestions as to what I should do?? :confused:
    Any ideas welcome!!! :o

Thanks in advance,
    Susie:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

did pretty much the same in gcd... i think

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

did pretty much the same in gcd... i think

Thanks fro the reply :)
    That probably wouldn't be strating again until september... I'm out of work at the moment so it would probably be more suitable to do a distance learning one. Is GCD full time/part time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SusieQue wrote: »
    Thanks fro the reply :)
    That probably wouldn't be strating again until september... I'm out of work at the moment so it would probably be more suitable to do a distance learning one. Is GCD full time/part time?

either or. with jumpin into 2nd year of degree if wanted

either or. with jumpin into 2nd year of degree if wanted

Will check it out.. but hopefully sort something out before September. Thanks again :)
    PS. Sorry about spelling errors in first reply.. I send my messages too quick without checking :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mz Lazy

Hi :D I'm doing that exact online photography course with CMIT. Before starting it I was doing the same as you, looking up books and online for tips on how to better my photography. When I started the course, I pretty much knew everything it was telling me! And they explain how to do basic manipulation on paint.net which is a good program but I'm pretty much handy at photoshop CS4 so that was all boring to me. It depends on how much knowledge you already have on photography. If your still needed to learn alot about the works of taking a photo then you could do this course. But I think it'd be better doing an in-class course. My tutor with CMIT is good, he gives me advice and comments on my photography but I'd rather have a person in front of me telling me and showing me things. But with CMIT you get your FETAC cert, I dont know if the night courses do that but some weekend courses have equal certs, and to be honest you probably get the same amount of notes on the weekend courses as you would with CMIT. So it depends on what you want to get out of it in the end, how much knowledge you already have and would you cope without a tutor to interact with face to face. Sorry for waffling on, but I hope my points help :D and any more info needed i'd be happy to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm the exact same as the OP, I'm also in meath/navan to be precise. Whereabouts are these courses and when do they start? Any links?

i was too late to join th Navan camera club when I moved here before Christmas [I don't think they're still accepting members?]

Im actually doing the Diploma photography course with CMIT I'm just after realising ha. ummm a link for what seems like good short courses is http://www.iop.ie/ im thinking of doing a few weekend courses with them. They have a range of different courses, for beginners and advanced.

Mz Lazy wrote: »
    When I started the course, I pretty much knew everything it was telling me! And they explain how to do basic manipulation on paint.net which is a good program but I'm pretty much handy at photoshop CS4 so that was all boring to me. It depends on how much knowledge you already have on photography.

But with CMIT you get your FETAC cert, I dont know if the night courses do that but some weekend courses have equal certs, and to be honest you probably get the same amount of notes on the weekend courses as you would with CMIT.

Hey Mz Lazy :-D

Thank you so much for your reply!! Really appreciate it! No waffling at all :-D
    I know one person who is half way through this course & she seems to love it..
    I am quite new to all this but haven't been working so have spent the last few months reading up/practising etc and realise its something I'd love to do & hopefully make money out of it so I'm sure some sort of a qualification is necessary..
    Do you know where weekend courses have the same qualifications?
    I'm happy to work away on my own but understand what you say about having someone there in front of you to physically critique your work etc

I guess, because I'm not working figured it would be the perfect time to spend learning something I love.. in some kind of structured way as opposed to me going on-line looking for something in particular.. finding something else, reading up on that, forgetting what I initially went on to look for... Now I'm starting to waffle but you know what I mean..

Oh don't know what to do :confused::confused::confused:
    Susie:o

Im actually doing the Diploma photography course with CMIT I'm just after realising ha. ummm a link for what seems like good short courses is http://www.iop.ie/ im thinking of doing a few weekend courses with them. They have a range of different courses, for beginners and advanced.

Both the diploma and the fetac course contents are the same aren't they? Just one has the CMIT qualification & the other Fetac??:confused:

Have looked at iop before & saw some intersting course, just thought initially the CMIT might be a broader one

Um yeah with the diploma I'm still getting a FETAC award but i think its like a level 8 or something, im not entirly sure, I just new it was a good enough starting out qualification!! Yeah I know what your saying about getting a good qualification. Do the CMIT course and maybe do a few weekend ones then at the same time? or is that too much for you? I'm waiting till I get some money and time and I'm gonna do the begginers wedding photography I think, or the summer one before I go to college (going as a mature student bleh!). You should google course and look around around a different ones, I could of missed mine in the search for a good course! And the local camera clubs should still be accepting people? Or even find a local photographer and ask him/her can you tag along for the day if you know them. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Theres so many options I know its hard picking one :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same as the OP, I'm also in meath/navan to be precise. Whereabouts are these courses and when do they start? Any links?

i was too late to join th Navan camera club when I moved here before Christmas [I don't think they're still accepting members?]

I only joined Navan Club after Christmas.. So I'm sure you could come along to the next meeting. I think its just a matter of turning up at the next meeting and taking it from there.. No forms or anything needed.. Check out the program http://navancameraclub.net/links/ Mclean

The course I was referring to is a Distance Learning Course http://www.cmit.ie/courses-creative-distance-learning/fetac-digital-photography-distance-learning.html
    or
    http://www.cmit.ie/courses-creative-distance-learning/diploma-in-digital-photography-distance-learning.html

both the same.. just different qualification at the end of it..

Susie :D

Um yeah with the diploma I'm still getting a FETAC award but i think its like a level 8 or something, im not entirly sure, I just new it was a good enough starting out qualification!!

I rang the college the other day and she said they were the same :confused: But as you say, a good base :D

Do the CMIT course and maybe do a few weekend ones then at the same time? or is that too much for you? I'm waiting till I get some money and time and I'm gonna do the begginers wedding photography I think, or the summer one before I go to college (going as a mature student bleh!).

I'd love to do that wedding one.. something I hope to do in the future, not just the course but actually shoot weddings :rolleyes:

I haven't worked for nearly 2 years (long story - surgery that had a few complications and could hardly walk never mind work :() So money is an issue with me.. What are you going to do in colege as a mature student.. Its something I've been thinking about too.... So many different paths to take .. Just need a few quid, well quit a lot really ;)

Going into do a science degree. Would love to do photography or computer graphics or media in college but science is my first love, hoping to get into research. I should be able to get a back to education allowance since i've been on the dole/job seekers allowance for a year. Should work the same for you too if your on sick/injury benefits, they give you an allowance similar to the dole every week while your in college. Thats the way it was anyways so hopefully it'll still be the same or I wont be able to afford my rent AND go to college :( And I plan on doing photography in the evening and weekends, I like event photography and studio photography (well in my house for now :p) for extra money. The wedding day course looks soooo good and its for beginners so they wont expect people to know too much so they'll explain it all :D

WOW!!! Fair play to you!! Impressive.. Its taken me so long to find something I really love!
    I've been on illness benefit for 2 years now, thankfully I'm so much better now but still not quite there. I'm sure I'll be on some other form of benefit after this the way things are going!! So if it is still the case that I am come september, I will hopefully do a full time course like yourself as a 'mature' student :-)
    I met someone who has done that wedding course and he said it was great becuase they have real models how know how to pose etc so makes it easier for you.. There's so much I want to do too..
    I have a few portraits to do for friends etc so will hopefully get a bit of experience and make a few quid at the same time.. All adds up & photography certianly isn't cheap!

I only joined Navan Club after Christmas.. So I'm sure you could come along to the next meeting. I think its just a matter of turning up at the next meeting and taking it from there.. No forms or anything needed.. Check out the program http://navancameraclub.net/links/ Mclean

The course I was referring to is a Distance Learning Course http://www.cmit.ie/courses-creative-distance-learning/fetac-digital-photography-distance-learning.html
    or
    http://www.cmit.ie/courses-creative-distance-learning/diploma-in-digital-photography-distance-learning.html

both the same.. just different qualification at the end of it..

Susie :D

Cheers, what nights do the club meet? is it easy to get into? how many members? What exactly do they do at these meetings? I'm a total n00b when it comes to these things lol.

I'd rather an in-person course. i've been doing assignments and 'homework' modules for some of the magazine courses and competitions, but I'd like something more involving, in a group with others as lost as me, or whatever.

I've been entering the Guardian.co.uk flickr group comp' and have had one assignment reviewed :cool:

I know I mentioned this in another thread, but may as well milk it before it's ancient news :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2010/feb/03/photography8

I'd love to do that wedding one.. something I hope to do in the future, not just the course but actually shoot weddings :rolleyes:

I haven't worked for nearly 2 years (long story - surgery that had a few complications and could hardly walk never mind work :() So money is an issue with me.. What are you going to do in colege as a mature student.. Its something I've been thinking about too.... So many different paths to take .. Just need a few quid, well quit a lot really ;)

That is mad, because I'm in the same situation [I dan't seen that post when replied above]

I'm out of work 2.5 year now too, since our wee one was born. I had a discectomy, after an injury through work [never got paid for any of the time off, or covered for th op] I'm on ilness benefit as I cannot do manual labour for the time being. had the operation privately last year, still a bit feckered and very sore. I can move about and walk etc ... but lifting/bending is a right pain.

I too took up the photography to keep me busy, and loving it since. I only have a simple bridge cam, bought it to learn the basics of manual controls [after years of p&s snapping]

Now I want to progress further, might be buying a dslr this weekend. but I need others with similar interest to keep me motivated, hence why I asked about the camera clubs.

Cheers, what nights do the club meet? is it easy to get into? how many members? What exactly do they do at these meetings? I'm a total n00b when it comes to these things lol.

I'd rather an in-person course. i've been doing assignments and 'homework' modules for some of the magazine courses and competitions, but I'd like something more involving, in a group with others as lost as me, or whatever.

I've been entering the Guardian.co.uk flickr group comp' and have had one assignment reviewed :cool:

I know I mentioned this in another thread, but may as well milk it before it's ancient news :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2010/feb/03/photography8

Fair play to you!!! Milk away :-)

Camera Club meet every 2nd monday night around 8.30, its just outside Navan on the Kells Road, I get a lift so not exactly sure of address :o

I'm not sure of the amount of members as the numbers vary each meeting and I'm only a newbie

Not sure which kind of course I'd like .. both for different reasons I guess.. One on my own so I'm just working on my ideas and am not influenced by what others are doing but then again it would be good to get feedback from others in the class as opposed to just tutor.. Tough one to call really.. And the cost is a factor for me and when and where they are as I don't drive.. :confused:

Same here, don't drive, so choices are limited. though I wouldn't mind traveling up and down to Dublin for the right course.

Do you have to pay up front for joining the club? When is the next meet? i wonder would they allow you to sign up and pay later [if there is an entry fee?]

This also reminds me I'm not in Carlow anymore, must change my location.

That is mad, because I'm in the same situation [I dan't seen that post when replied above]

I'm out of work 2.5 year now too, since our wee one was born. I had a discectomy, after an injury through work [never got paid for any of the time off, or covered for th op] I'm on ilness benefit as I cannot do manual labour for the time being. had the operation privately last year, still a bit feckered and very sore. I can move about and walk etc ... but lifting/bending is a right pain.

I too took up the photography to keep me busy, and loving it since. I only have a simple bridge cam, bought it to learn the basics of manual controls [after years of p&s snapping]

Now I want to progress further, might be buying a dslr this weekend. but I need others with similar interest to keep me motivated, hence why I asked about the camera clubs.

Oh poor you!!! I had my hip replaced & my leg lengthened 2 years, 1 weeks & 4 days ago :) Was born with abnormal hips & knees so had surgery on both hips & left knee as a baby but was in desperate pain for quite some time before op. Because of my problems as a baby, hip replacement wasn't as straightforward as normal & Nerves were stunned/bruised, that and the leg lengthening (leg had been 2 inchs shorter) resulted in me being paralysed - on my left leg, completely from the knee down. To cut a long story short, the nerve pain in its recovery was unbloodybearable but thankfully 2 years on, its alot better. Still don't have full feeling in my foot & muscles haven't come back fully but so much better than two years ago.. And thats the short version, I hear you say :o Sorry about that :rolleyes:

I've only invested in DSLR since before Christmas and still use my Lumix TZ5, which is a great little point & shoot! I'm only very new to all these settings etc but am loving the learning!

We actually have an outing to the Zoo on Sunday Morning with the camera club...

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, but good that you're improving, and you're doing something now that's keeping you motivated and happy :)

Trip to the zoo, Ah that would have been cool, I must take a cycle out to the next meet and see can I get involved before their next outing.

Same here, don't drive, so choices are limited. though I wouldn't mind traveling up and down to Dublin for the right course.

Do you have to pay up front for joining the club? When is the next meet? i wonder would they allow you to sign up and pay later [if there is an entry fee?]

This also reminds me I'm not in Carlow anymore, must change my location.

Its 60 for the year, don't think they get together over the summer months. As I only joined after Christmas, I only paid 30. I did go once before i joined so I'm sure you'd be welcome along to check it out :-)

Sorry to hear that, but good that you're improving, and you're doing something now that's keeping you motivated and happy :)

Trip to the zoo, Ah that would have been cool, I must take a cycle out to the next meet and see can I get involved before their next outing.

Try and get in touch with some of the guys in the camera club.. from the website. If I could drive, I'd be more than happy to bring you but I don't so I am already bumming a lift from Trim..
    :(

It's not too far from here I'm told, the exercise would do me good lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mikmccarthy

Hey Susie, not sure if your still looking into doing this course or not? I recently enquired with Colaiste Dhulaigh in Coolock about this exact course, L6 Fetec, Advanced Photography certificate. I received info about it yesterday in the post, says it's a 22 week course and taught by professional fashion photographer Lorna Fitzsimons.
    I know you were asking about distance learning but as I'm living in Ashbourne and am going to enroll for this I guess I'll be distance learning ;) . Wont mind travelling if I can take my photography to the next level if you know what I mean. Anyway, this post started quite a while ago, you've probably got a diploma by now ;)

Advertisement