Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems in Moylaragh, Balbriggan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Moylaragh wrote: »
    I was speaking with the head of the parks division of FCC.

He said basically that the dev and contractors shiped up and shiped out before the area was completed. Now the area is unsafe (ie incomplete paths etc)

Also there is an ongoing problem because the hedges/ditch between Moylaragh and Westbrook was supossed to be removed to allow dual acess to the field.

So FCC refuse to take over areas that are not complete or safe because its not their job to fix areas after the dev leaves.

He says they are contantly chasing dev but get nowhere.

He said my best bet to to complain to the planning permission depart to say that planning was not comleted according to plan.

North Moylaragh (the part closest to Dunnes) has planing permission for 10yrs for 1400 houses, apartments and duplex's. Fingal wont touch the part along there as they said no fence/wall has been completed.

What a mess really!!

The pic is an area at the very beginning and is in a bad state. That is probably the worst area. Most places there are rented and people dont give a sh!te. There was a burnt out car there not so long ago. Some kids also kicked all the pebble stones out of someone's front garden. There is graffiti all over someone electric box around that corner. And its true there is a smell of sewage in the air. The neighbours said that the builders laid the pipes at the wrong angle too close to the houses so when it gets warmer the whole area stinks.

What to do really??

Sounds terrible. Fair play to you for looking into this, finding out the facts etc. The developer has a lot to answer for. How about applying some pressure on the builder (who are they?) Like the guy from FCC suggested make a complaint to him. Write to the local papers. Visit the developer’s office, get a group to visit different days?

Re the apartments at the start. I think someone previously said they are managed by a management company. Does anyone know who this company is? The majority of companies charge for landscpaing and upkeep, and a sinking fund for painting and general upkeep.

Like i said before, this entrance sets the tone for ALL the estates in the area. People going to Barons Hall, Chieftans Way etc drive through there to get to where they are going, so in reality it is a problem for all residence of the area....not just Moylaragh.

So does anyone have any info...know any of the owners there....contacts for management companies or local councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sparky84 wrote: »
    I walk past where that photo was taken and the smell of sewage that is seeping from a man hole cover on the path is awful !!!

Looks like that problem has been around for quite some time based on this old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

Yea I think it really is a problem for the whole area. On the way home today I noticed somebody has dumped a broken buggy outside the apartments there.

I have no idea who the management co are. If anyone knows could they please let me know, I dont think it is fair they can let the area become such a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

You guys should push Fingal CoCo to use the bond that the developers would have paid. AFAIK all developers need to pay a bond to the council in the event of the estate not being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

I have no idea who the management co are. If anyone knows could they please let me know, I dont think it is fair they can let the area become such a tip.

Smith Property Management Co in Dunboyne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Just wonder if any Moylaragh residents received info on the AGM? It normally happens around April. Just wanna check before I contact Management Co. - my postman delivers post when he wants to not when he should!!!! :mad:

Residents meeting for Moylaragh.

Tuesday May 25th
    The Hamlet pub
    8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

dubmick wrote: »
    You guys should push Fingal CoCo to use the bond that the developers would have paid. AFAIK all developers need to pay a bond to the council in the event of the estate not being finished.

Yeah Development Levies must be paid if a developer does not comply with certain aspects of thr planning..

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/DevContributionLevySchemePlanningFees/

Dear all,
    Below some responses to issues in relation to Moylaragh raised at a Council meeting last week. They are both totally unsatisfactory and I let that be known at the meeting. I hope people got the last email, with the contact numbers and just to remind you that the follow-up Residents Meeting for those who were willing to act as a committee is scheduled for next Tuesday in The Hamlet.
    All the best,
    Clare Daly

ITEM NO. 32

LIME CONTENT IN WATER SUPPLY – BOG OF THE RING

Motion: Councillor C. Daly
    “That the Manager would take steps to reduce the lime content in the water supply coming from the Bog of the Ring in light of the extensive damage being done to the heating systems and other household appliances of Balbriggan residents.”

Report:
    The water supply to the Balbriggan area is mainly from our Leixlip Water Treatment Plant, but is supplemented by water from our Bog of the Ring WTP. The hardness of the Leixlip water is variable in the range 100 to 300 mg/l of calcium carbonate, with an average of about 200 of mg/l of calcium carbonate and would be considered mildly hard water.

The water from the Bog of the Ring WTP has a hardness of about 350 mg/l of calcium carbonate, and would be considered hard water. Most of the Balbriggan area is fed with a mixture of the two waters which reduces the hardness, but a portion of Balbriggan town environs and the high level north-west area is fed with water which mainly consists of water from the Bog of the Ring WTP. We are not in a position to blend all the water from the Bog of the Ring as yet due to infrastructural deficiencies which will be resolved with the implementation of the Balbriggan Water Supply Scheme.
    The water from both of our Water Treatment Plants is perfectly safe and meets not just a minimum set of quality requirements, but all the requirements of the Drinking Water Regulations. This has been confirmed by our monitoring programme and by the annual reports of the EPA. There is no limit for hardness set in the European Communities (Drinking Water) Regulations 2007 (SI no. 278 of 2007) and many supplies around Ireland receive water of greater hardness than that from the Bog of the Ring.
    The Council is obliged to provide drinking water in accordance with the requirements of the European Communities (Drinking Water) Regulations 2007 (SI no. 278 of 2007). Consumers supplied with water from the Bog of the Ring plant who are concerned about water hardness can if they so wish install a water softening device on their internal (house) plumbing network which should help reduce or eliminate the hardness. It is important to note that such water softening devices need to be regularly maintained to a high standard to prevent contamination of the water supply.

ITEM NO. 33

DRAINAGE PROBLEMS IN MOYLARAGH

Motion: Councillor C. Daly
    “That the Manager would report on the drainage problems in Moylaragh with particular reference to the cause of foul odours that prevail in the area and what can be done to deal with the problem.”

Report:
    There have been a number of foul odour complaints over the last number of years. All such complaints have been investigated and none were found to be the responsibility of the Council. In 2009 a misconnection was identified which was subsequently rectified by the Developer, the matter having been brought to his attention by Building Control Section. However, in the most part the foul odours have been found to be due to internal plumbing problems, which are the responsibility of individual householders. The most recent incident reported on April 19th 2010 was a blocked private drain which had overflowed into a road gully and was resolved by the householder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

dubmick wrote: »

because of the ammount of work that needs to be done the bond might not cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Council is obliged to provide drinking water in accordance with the requirements of the European Communities (Drinking Water) Regulations 2007 (SI no. 278 of 2007). Consumers supplied with water from the Bog of the Ring plant who are concerned about water hardness can if they so wish install a water softening device on their internal (house) plumbing network which should help reduce or eliminate the hardness. It is important to note that such water softening devices need to be regularly maintained to a high standard to prevent contamination of the water supply.

I added the emphasis myself. Either way, we the consumer should end up paying for an issue of which they are aware. You can get an expensive water softening device (for which you will have to pay for regular maintenance, etc.), or you can keep buying a new kettle (or whatever appliance) every six to nine months ... and you'll still get the privilege of paying water charges for the substandard water.
    Oh, thank you very much, FCC and Goverment. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rdaily207

The question is that if this is the level of service provided, then why bother paying taxes at all? FCC seems to be part of the problem rather than the solution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Residents meeting for Moylaragh.

Tuesday May 25th
    The Hamlet pub
    8pm
    did you attent this meeting?i couldnt make it due to work and was wondering if any thing came off it.

The issues that were raised were:

Landscaping - The high grass and the failure of either Newlyn or Fingal Co Co to cut it.

Unsociable neighbours - Residents at the beginning of Moylaragh are refusing to pay maintence fees on their appartments until some unsociable people are removed.

Smith Management Co - They want disolved. Again this is for people in the apartments. They want Newlyn to step down from the board of directors.

Moylaragh Gardens - The cul-de-sac promised by June 2010 to stop traffic though the estate. There has been no news from Fingal on this matter.

I dont know the exact details of the next meeting. Someone took everyones email to make a plan of action.

I will post again for the next meeting.

mary.leonard@fingalcoco.ie

The name and email address of the person who is dealing with the cul-de-sac.. if anyone is looking for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 31Moylaragh

Quick update for anyone interested.... developer meeting with the county council on Monday (tomorrow) re enforcing order to close Moylaragh Gardens off on June 1st 2010. Sounds like they are going to try and get out of it, but from what we heard from the council it would appear they intend to go after them to enforce it... this could take a no. of months though , by the time they send enforcement letters etc and if they finally have to take them to court.
    This is all second hand so forgive me if I omit anything..You never know, fingers crossed they might realise the council mean business and cave and put it in , we have waited 6 years now for our cul de sac, so all digits crossed it happens sooner rather than later.
    For anyone who doesn't realise it, Moylaragh Gardens is suppose to be two cul de sacs... so if you live down the way you won't be able to use our road as a rat run to Dunnes anymore once this goes in ;) Sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Unsociable neighbours - Residents at the beginning of Moylaragh are refusing to pay maintence fees on their appartments until some unsociable people are removed.

That is ridiculous. It is not managements companys ability to remove people. If somone owns a homes, its thier home. If tennets are there, its up to the PRTB.

By people refusing to pay their management fees, this in turn causes the run down look thats presently there.

Well done to those on Moylaragh Road making an effort with the front of their homes. It really makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 31Moylaragh

LaFleur wrote: »
    That is ridiculous. It is not managements companys ability to remove people. If somone owns a homes, its thier home. If tennets are there, its up to the PRTB.

The PRTB take forever.... they presently take 12 weeks to even register a new tenancy.... so if they are waiting for them to evict the 'antisocial' tenants, it may take a while....

On the subject of the cul de sac... meeting wasn't today my mistake, to be scheduled this week hopefully.

And yes LaFleur I agree Moylaragh Road looks v smart, as do a lot of the houses on the Crescent that face Westbrook.

A letter from Michael Kennedy on the issue:

A Chara

I am writing to advise you on two important issues pertaining to your area:
    1. Bin Collection
    I have been informed by Fingal County Council that bin collections due on Bank Holiday Monday, 7th June 2010 will not take place and will now be collected tomorrow Saturday, 5th June 2010 instead.
    2. Grass Cutting
    Fingal County Council’s new policy on grass cutting as follows:
    Type of Mowing
    Timescale
    One inch cut
    Every two weeks
    Four inch cut
    Every four weeks
    Wild meadow
    Cut in September 2010

The areas of wild meadows are to be agreed with local residents but there seems to be much confusion or lack of consultation by Fingal County Council.
    Has your Residents Group been consulted on these meadow proposals?
    Fingal County Council has stated they are willing to consult residents and obtain their agreement before changing green spaces into meadow land. I feel some areas selected are totally unsuitable in an urban setting and you should voice your concerns, if any.
    Let me know your viewpoint
    Please make me aware of your opinions on these meadow land proposals so I can make representations on your behalf by emailing me at michael.kennedy@oireachtas.ie. If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me by filling out the section below and feel free to pass this email on to your other email contacts.

A letter from Mary Leonard on the issue of Moylaragh Gardens-

Following a meeting held on the 1st June 2010 between the Council’s Transportation Department & the Enforcement Section and the developer a Warning Letter pursuant to Section 152(1) of the Planning and Development Acts 2000 – 2007 issued on the 2nd June 2010. The developer has 4 weeks to make a submission or observation on foot of this letter.

The matter will be reviewed in 4 weeks.

Will post with any more info

Would apreciate if others could alos keep us updated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarah28

My 4 year old son had a fall in the playground in Moylaragh on Monday and broke his 2 bones in half in his wrist and a fracture to his elbow which has left his elbow floating he had surgery on Monday and is going back on Friday to see if he needs to have another operation. I rang Fingal county council today and told them my situation they told me to get in contact with Newlyns developers i spoke to a guy called Kevin who told me it was nothing to do with them i asked him who had build the playground he told me he didn't no i asked him did fairies build it at that stage because i was so cross with the situation. He told me it was final county councils problem as the estate was handed over last year i rang them back and all they have taken over is the road no open spaces.. My husband had taken the kids to the playground's that day i personally would not take them to that playground because of the anti social behaviour. I went over to look at the playground last night all the soft ground is lifted and bits are missing the monkey bars are taller than 6ft the disclaimer has graffiti all over it and the whole park. I have rang a solicitor and he thinks we should sue the correct party if we ever find out who they are....
    My solicitor said that in the deeds of our homes it should state who is responsible for the estate...

The other problem is the grass we have started to cut it ourselves but a lawnmower is not the tool for the job we have broken the throttle on ours its a disgrace and we need to do something about it!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Get a camera and photograph everything in the place, any damaged items, graffiti, every angle you can. Log your calls. Then check your deeds.

But accidents do happen and can you be sure your child was not negligent in any way?

Most importantly I hope your child makes a speedy and full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

sarah28 wrote: »
    My 4 year old son had a fall in the playground in Moylaragh on Monday and broke his 2 bones in half in his wrist and a fracture to his elbow which has left his elbow floating he had surgery on Monday and is going back on Friday to see if he needs to have another operation. I rang Fingal county council today and told them my situation they told me to get in contact with Newlyns developers i spoke to a guy called Kevin who told me it was nothing to do with them i asked him who had build the playground he told me he didn't no i asked him did fairies build it at that stage because i was so cross with the situation. He told me it was final county councils problem as the estate was handed over last year i rang them back and all they have taken over is the road no open spaces.. My husband had taken the kids to the playground's that day i personally would not take them to that playground because of the anti social behaviour. I went over to look at the playground last night all the soft ground is lifted and bits are missing the monkey bars are taller than 6ft the disclaimer has graffiti all over it and the whole park. I have rang a solicitor and he thinks we should sue the correct party if we ever find out who they are....
    My solicitor said that in the deeds of our homes it should state who is responsible for the estate...

The other problem is the grass we have started to cut it ourselves but a lawnmower is not the tool for the job we have broken the throttle on ours its a disgrace and we need to do something about it!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    The playground in Moylaragh and Bremore were both constructed by Sportsworks.ie.

Maybe contacting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would imagaine your calls to sportsworks.ie will be of no point. they got contracted to construct a playground. i am sure they are not responsible for maintaining it.

it would be like ringing ford back after some vandal broke your window of your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Martron wrote: »
    i would imagaine your calls to sportsworks.ie will be of no point. they got contracted to construct a playground. i am sure they are not responsible for maintaining it.

it would be like ringing ford back after some vandal broke your window of your car.
    They can confirm who contracted them. Fingal Co. Co. or Newlyns developers. You never know, maintainence may have been within the contract. If not, then whoever contracted them is responsible for the playground.

It's a shame there's such anti social behaviour over that way and if the playground is in such a state from vandals that it's safety features and playfull appearence are compromised then it will probably have to go or have something done to keep them out.

Yes I have seen around the estate that the residents have taken it upon themselves to cut the grass. I know the people on Moylaragh Gardens rented a diesel strimmer and cut it down. A friend of mine lives there and it took them hours. So I can only imagine it would break a lawn mower considering its in a pretty bad shape!

The playground you are talking about is in pretty bad shape. I walked out with my son one day because kids were burning a hole in the rubber ground, there were dirty nappies left all over the place and grafiti. I will never go back. A woman there was also equaly as disgusted and said that the same kids were playing football in the playground and hit her 2yr old!

Sarah, as far as I know Newlyn ARE the ones responsinble for that playgroup. Not all of the area has been handed over. I would seek clarification from Fingal Co Co in writing that they are not in change of that area. Kevin from Newyln (from my experience) is a real piece of work. I dont know how far you will get with him.

Has anyone heard a dog barking on Moylargh Rise every night non stop for 2 hours... It is driving me crazy.. What type of person leaves a dog to bark for 2 hours. I dont even know which house it is coming from!

The roads have been taken in charge by the Fingal County Council;

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=33586

I found this though that may help the residents out;

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=17220

It clearly states that the playground has NOT been taken in charge by the council...

Has anyone been down to the Newlyn offices in town to "kick up" in person?

Thank you for that info focus mad.

There are a few people in my area that reguarily kick up throught emails, phone calls etc. Newlyn I think have become accostumed to it and dont care at all.

Thank you for that info focus mad.

There are a few people in my area that reguarily kick up throught emails, phone calls etc. Newlyn I think have become accostumed to it and dont care at all.

No botha...

Yeah thats the thing, emails and phone calls will only get you part of the way. I believe that a contingent from Moylaragh should make a trip down to the offices and basicaly make it clear that something has to be done.

As another poster mentioned about starting a call log, print off any emails that residents may have sent and organise them. It may be no harm looking for a solicitor's point of view on the whole thing including that the residents have inundated Newlyn looking for answers...

I also think that the local Councilers should be doing a bit more, i.e contacting Newlyn themselves or going to the offices if/when the residents do?

On another point, if I rent an industrial strimmers and clear the lot, how much will ya give me...?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Lads I'm reading this with interest - you're not millions of miles away from me. ;)

Can I suggest a couple of ways to make Newlyn take notice of you as a residents group and start getting things to happen?

• Make a formal request, in writing, to meet with Newlyn - registered letter works the best in these circumstances. Follow it up with a phone call and another registered letter within 10 working days if you've had no response.
    • When you meet with them raise your difficulties with them. Agree between yourselves beforehand what reasonable remedy they can make & also a timeframe. Try and get them to commit to that in writing.
    • Take notes at the meeting and email them on to everyone in the estate (cc Newlyn) within 24 hours if possible. Particularly as it's still fresh. Copy your councillors if need be. The more people that are on the record with their commitments the better.
    • If Newlyn fail to meet your reasonable requests in the agreed timeframe take it to the next level. i.e. start objecting to every single bit of planning permission that they apply for - no matter where it is - citing their lack of action in your estate. You will need some funds to do this. The idea is to stall them through the planning process as best you can so that it becomes cheaper for them to resolve your issues than it is to let it drag on into An Bord Pleanala.
    WRT to the council & councillors

• I'm reliably informed that the best way to get your estate's concerned to the attention of the councillors is to request a deputation for your residents association to the council. I hear it's totally booked up for the Balbriggan area until after the New Year but apply as soon as possible for a date via your community services rep in Fingal CoCo. They will be able to coach you on how you approach a deputation, appropriate topics for discussion, number of estate reps there etc.
    • If the public road areas aren't being trimmed but are in the care of the council you could purchase a communal strimmer/lawnmower with a whiparound the estate. The only question is who is responsible for it but if it means that much to you then I'd definitely go down that road.
    Best of luck

Advertisement