Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City

• 02-03-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I find that out of alot of cities that Waterford City is quite a dirty city - dog excrement etc all over the place...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And you just added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

And you just added to it.

Excuse me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I find that out of alot of cities that Waterford City is quite a dirty city - dog excrement etc all over the place...
    haven't noticed it myself.

OP, How many other Irish cities have you lived in to make this judgement?
    What Irish city do you consider the tidiest that you have lived in?

I don't mean to offend anyone at all. I love living in Waterford City! By far it's the nicest place that I have lived in.

I have been in Kilkenny, Cork, Limerick and Galway. I think Cork was the cleanest followed by Galway...

Come back to us with some correlated facts and we'll entertain your question.

• Advertisement

Come back to us with some correlated facts and we'll entertain your question.

I was not on about facts.

I was just voicing my opinion...

I was not on about facts.

I was just voicing my opinion...

No offence sir/madam but how much can you really know about excrement on Deise Ground compared to the grounds of the 31 other counties?

If you could point out specific areas of the city that you think are troublesome then maybe we could chat about them with some illustrations and what not. I simply hate generalisations - and you made a pretty massive one at the beginning of this thread.

(I'm going to be the most hated poster on this forum before too long...)

No offence sir/madam but how much can you really know about excrement on Deise Ground compared to the grounds of the 31 other counties?

If you could point out specific areas of the city that you think are troublesome then maybe we could chat about them with some illustrations and what not. I simply hate generalisations - and you made a pretty massive one at the beginning of this thread.

(I'm going to be the most hated poster on this forum before too long...)

I don't hate you - nothing wrong with opinions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Don't worry abouttobebanned I hate you :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    Take it easy there folks, no need to get upset. Lets just take the opinion and respond accordingly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Take it easy there folks, no need to get upset. Lets just take the opinion and respond accordingly :)

Yeah but what a weird OP. Just a wide, sweeping statement, no substance to it, no indication of what discussion the OP would like to come from it. Easy to see how someone could view it as someone trolling (I'm not saying that btw, just that you could see why peopole would respond in that way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Can't say I really noticed it myself. I wouldn't be a great defender of waterford city much, think it has alot wrong with it at times but never really thought about the dog poo,lol. Would agree that compared to some of the bigger cities some of the actual city isn't the cleanest, but in fairness to the council and businesses around big efforts have been made over the years to tidy the place up. Sometimes when I get really pissed off with the place a trip coming back home across the bridge usually cheers me up. I do find that waterford is a really beautiful city and seeing it lit up on the quays at night is far more impressive than the majority of cities in Ireland. Compared to Kilkenny especially;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Cork is weirdly clean for some reason.
    Galway and Kilkenny are really dirty in my opinion.
    Dublin city center is cleaner then most city's in Ireland.
    Limerick is pretty dirty, but overall Waterford is a very clean city.
    Tullamore and Roscommon are so filthy you cant see the feckin footpaths.

as for dogsh1t, you get that everywhere, just dont step in it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you want to see plenty of dog **** then a walk along the prom in Tramore will not fail.

Try walking with a young child or pushing a pram or buggy then you'll soon become so aware of the amount of dog **** around especially when you've to clean it off the wheels or out of the grooves in the soles of their footwear. God help anyone in a wheelchair.

I don't think it's any worse in Waterford than most places.

..... dog excrement etc all over the place...
    hang on hang on.......lets step back here for a minute...
    OP, did you step in some poo?
    is that why you opened the topic?
    honestly now....

I can personally vouch it's not all over the city cause I've done the winter running league and ran in the dark and have no idea where i put my footing out the Lisduggan area of the city and my runners never got poo on them.
    But i would agree there is probably dog poo somewhere, just like any town or city.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

The foothpath at Newports Square has a lot any time i was there.

navalus wrote: »
    The foothpath at Newports Square has a lot any time i was there.
    LOL we could have sticky thread called Poo Watch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I tend to pick up the dogs buisness if he does it on the path or in grass near people s houses where kids play. But if he dose it out of the way it stays there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think it's just more noticeable these days since they stopped putting whatever crap into their food that turned their poo white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Adyx wrote: »
    I think it's just more noticeable these days since they stopped putting whatever crap into their food that turned their poo white.

Ha!:pac:

I don't find Waterford any worse or any better than most other areas of Ireland for the old dog poos TBH.

I do however remember being grossed out in Dingle (lovely picturesque town, which is why the following incident stuck out for me) - this crusty hippie was out walking a massive bruiser of a dog, and she stood there happily (nay, proudly) watching while the mutt took the biggest steaming poo I have ever had the misfortune to observe, right in the middle of a narrow footpath, and off she skipped leaving us to our gagging noises as we stepped off the path into the street to avoid the big scuttery streak of poo, was almost as big as a horsepoo, blargh.

At least most people round these parts (IME) have the decency to be a little ashamed if someone sees them walking off without scooping-the-poop. It's not nice to have to walk back home holding a bag of warm poo but I'd prefer to suffer the indignity of having a bag of poo tied up onto the handle of the doglead rather than leaving it lying around for some kid to slip on.

(I don't think I have ever used the word "poo" as much in one single post ever before, BTW).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

The Cleaboy road is covered in sh*t every morning, without fail, from the Roanmore to the IDA estate.

I've been stopped several times by Gardaí who think I'm pissed because I'm dancing around the fuggin turds.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I worked in the IDA in Waterford, there is a LOT of **** in there (and some dog poo too!!!!!!) :confused:

Baronflyguy, I know your a dog lover, I can tell by your posts? Always defending dogs, they are like, your best friend? if you want you can clean up after mine, but you have to befriend him first! He's very playful! :D :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

We had an awful problem with people letting their dogs **** outside our driveway, I even caught a neighbour standing in our driveway letting her dog **** in our garden and it didn't bother her, she just left it.

The only way it improved was when I got on to the litter warden who tried to fob me off, I told him if it didn't improve I had no problem bagging each offending pile and then bringing a week's worth into his office every week. It didn't bother him that I was a childminder and that children were being put at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Many years ago (late 80s) when I was a student, some of my classmates were from Dublin. They said it to me back then that they couldn't believe the amount of dog **** on the streets around Waterford. I had to agree with them then and I still do and I've since lived in Cork, Galway and Dublin.

Last Christmas I took a walk into town. Paddy Brown's, Slievekeale and Barrack St. were like a dog **** minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

jackhammer wrote: »
    Many years ago (late 80s) when I was a student, some of my classmates were from Dublin. They said it to me back then that they couldn't believe the amount of dog **** on the streets around Waterford. I had to agree with them then and I still do and I've since lived in Cork, Galway and Dublin.

Last Christmas I took a walk into town. Paddy Brown's, Slievekeale and Barrack St. were like a dog **** minefield.
    It was the same today,and Keane's road is the same.Land mine's all over the place.I see a Hillview resident letting his German Sheppard **** all over the green in Hillview quiet often and he never picks it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

marlin vs wrote: »
    I see a Hillview resident letting his German Sheppard **** all over the green in Hillview quiet often and he never picks it up.

Gather it all up and pop it through his letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sadly, there is a damn sight more wrong with Waterford than dog poo and I'm sorry to say it as the city has so much potential. Recently I haven't been to the city more than bi-annually but everytime that I visit things seem even more run-down. I walked much of the city for three or four hours today and between closed down shops, semi-derelict property and some buildings near the Tower Hotel actually collapsing onto the street - the place presents a terrible vista! God knows what tourists must make of it. Everywhere I looked there was evidence of decay and neglect - seemingly un-ending work on the quayside, the facilities at the railway station shrink with every visit (this time by bus as it is only possible to travel by train from Enniscorthy to Waterford but you can't return the same day or any other) - now there is NO bar, NO buffet, NO museum display, NO parcels service - one day there will be NO rail service but will anyone notice? Standing on its lofty perch above the town, as a monument to bad architectural taste, is the ruinous remains of the Ardree/Jury's Ardree/McEniff Ardree Hotel. Once it looked like a hospital and now it looks like a derelict hospital - would that some arsonist would remove it from the landscape.
    The City is steeped in history, packed full of historical buildings and could be a tourist mecca but what is happening - nothing. I passed the tourist office twice in the course of my visit but not a visitor in sight - incidentally is the semi-derelict Bord Failte office in the quays still in use as with its large sign it too gives an awful impression. Sorry, but this is the view as seen by an outsider and I'm sure that I'm not the only visitor who comes away with that impression. I am just getting used to Image Shack so deleted my Ardree pic there not realising it would also delete it here - so I now have replaced it with a pre-dereliction pic - sorry.

ardri.jpg

A monument to Irish Hospital architecture - perhaps it should be preserved by the Heritage Council! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Eh, Kilkenny isnt a city lads, it has medieval city status has no city council and doesn't have the population requirement. Sligo also pretends to be a city, I spent 4 years there and I could count on one hand the number of times I seen council guys out cleaning up the streets. Apart from the dog crap I think waterford is very clean. The crap issue is down to individual dog owners you cant expect council people to follow you when your out with you dog and lift it for you. Compared to other actual cities (not counting Limerick cos I was only there once as a child) I think Waterford holds its own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Eh, Kilkenny isnt a city lads, it has medieval city status has no city council and doesn't have the population requirement.

Often wondered about population requirements for a city. To be honest, I doubt Waterford has a big enough population either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's not all doom and gloom in Waterford and the Park Lodge Cafe in the Peoples Park is an oasis in a desert of nice places to eat. I discovered this wonderful cafe a couple of years ago while attending a sale at the nearby Keighery's Auction Rooms (another bright spot). Great home cooking, very reasonably priced and in pleasant surroundings - what more could you want. However, even here officialdom has decreed that a super loo be erected directly across from the cafe - incongruous is too mild a word to describe it.

waterfordtrip008.jpg

Advertisement