Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Well i dont want to be stirring the pot here, but i acgree with the OP. Just take a walk up around barrack St and your almost guaranteed to get turd on your shoe!

I think in general its an Irish thing. ive lived Abroad for a few years now and its Defo NOT the done thing to let your dog 'poop' on the ground! I just dont understand why owners dont clean up after their Animals! If i had a dog ide be Mortified just leaving a big steaming turd on the footpath for someone to walk into! its just rude!

But on the other hand, there are plenty of dogs just left out without their owners, and ide suspect its more these dogs , Rather than people taking them out for a walk and not cleaning up after them. Does that make sense?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Well i dont want to be stirring the pot here, but i acgree with the OP. Just take a walk up around barrack St and your almost guaranteed to get turd on your shoe!

I think in general its an Irish thing. ive lived Abroad for a few years now and its Defo NOT the done thing to let your dog 'poop' on the ground! I just dont understand why owners dont clean up after their Animals! If i had a dog ide be Mortified just leaving a big steaming turd on the footpath for someone to walk into! its just rude!

But on the other hand, there are plenty of dogs just left out without their owners, and ide suspect its more these dogs , Rather than people taking them out for a walk and not cleaning up after them. Does that make sense?!

I agree and think it's an Irish thing, when I moved to the UK in the early 80's I was surprised to see people out walking their dogs with bags and pooper scoopers to clean up after them. I've never seen it done here.

I have a vague memory of the council giving out free pooper scoopers a few years ago.

I saw a young teenager who's blind walking with the aid of a white stick and I thought of this thread, how are the visually impaired supposed to dodge the dog ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I remember when i first moved to Waterford about ten years ago and we lived up on Lower Yellow road. We used to pass by a vets at the back of Caufields pub on the way to the Hyper a couple of times a day and im not joking when I say the crap on the footpaths was everywhere! Everyone that brought their dogs to the vets must just let them crap all over the place before and after.

Ye can fob it off all ye want but its not normal to have **** all over the place and no it doesn't happen everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Often wondered about population requirements for a city. To be honest, I doubt Waterford has a big enough population either.

From Wikipedia, there's a table of cities and population but it wont copy for me, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_cities

Republic of Ireland
    Cities in the Republic of Ireland are legally defined[1] by the Local Government Act (2001), with one historic city (Kilkenny, legally a town) permitted[2] continued ceremonial usage. Dublin is the only city named in the Constitution of Ireland; it is mentioned for the purposes of residence of the President of Ireland and the assembly of the Houses of the Oireachtas – both of which must be "in or near the City of Dublin"[3]
    Five cities trace their city status to historic royal charters, Cork,[4] Dublin,[5] Limerick[6] and Waterford[7] all but Kilkenny have a city council and city limits that separate it from its surrounding county or counties. In addition, Galway was granted a charter in 1484 that, while not using the word 'city', did grant it authority to elect a mayor.[8]

Waterford has the smallest population of the cities but it got a city charter in 1171 (founded in 914) and has remained a city to today.

Advertisement