Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up audio

• 02-03-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

hey guys i have a kenwood kdc-w4544u head unit which will supply 50wx4.The problem is i have bought 2 jvc cs-v626 (6-1/2") which claim they are 210W peak power.Will these work with the head unit or will they just sound like muck ? there is also some 6x9's lying around which are also 240w will these work ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It seems like you've plenty of headroom between amp output and max input of the speakers.

You should be fine. Just be sure that the nominal rating of the speakers is in excess of 50W.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Speaker power is measured on two different scales, RMS and Peak (often called PMPO). RMS is short for Root Mean Square, and in simple terms it's the average power, whereas Peak/PMPO is the max possible. PMPO is usually ignored by most people because it's not a good measure for general use, it's really a marketing ploy to get as high a number as possible on the box.

Your head unit is rated 50w x4 which is probably RMS. Your 240w speakers are probably rated with PMPO, which means their RMS rating is much much lower. It isn't possible to convert directly between PMPO and RMS, but at a guess I'd say they're not much over 50w RMS and probably are actually less.

This means you (probably) have a 50w RMS rated hu supplying speakers rated at <50w RMS so you're in danger of damaging the speakers if you turn the volume up high.

First thing to do is check the box/leaflet with the speakers or look them up online to find their RMS rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

The headunits not 4x50 rms, its more than likely 4x15 rms.

As said ignore the peak figures the rms is what matters. Ideally you should have a higher powered amp running lower powered speakers to avoid damage to them.

I cant see you having problems unless your blaring the speakers and sending a clipped signal to them causing the damage, you'l know your doing this as it will sound rubbish - install away and enjoy you'l be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

eireal wrote: »
    The headunits not 4x50 rms, its more than likely 4x15 rms.

I cant see you having problems unless your blaring the speakers and sending a clipped signal to them causing the damage, you'l know your doing this as it will sound rubbish - install away and enjoy you'l be fine.
    I'm with eireal on this, kenwood website says "Maximum Output Power 50W x 4", if it was 50W RMS they would specify that surely...
    Be ESPECIALLY careful of the aux in (the headphone socket on the front)- if the MP3 player you plug in is turned up to the max and you then turn your head unit way up you can put some nasty clipped signals through the system!

Advertisement