Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Social Distortion Rip Off Guns N Roses?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Social Distortion - Ball And Chain, 1990

Guns N' Roses - Used To Love Her (Electric Version)

Listening to the opening riff of both these tracks, isn't it weird how they both sound similar. I mean, being released within quick succession of each other, I'm sure if there had been a genuine case of this song being ripped off then 'Uncle Axl' would've "got in the ring" but seriously, is it just me, or do they sound like the same song at the start....

Slash once stated used to love her was written by Izzy after an incident with an old dog Axl used to own....

Izzy also had major problems with the record industry, stating of his first solo album that they were so eager to release something after he left GNR that;
    "Putting out a record and still not having signed a record contract. That's pretty amazing, right? Having a record out but no record deal - only in America! "It doesn't matter, just get this **** out!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

nah.. basic melodies will often coincide. in this day n age most fretbaord paths have been well n truly gone down so its not really a prosucutable coincidence

-the real plagiarists in such cases are adverts, who'll mimic every note/sound in instrumentation, percussion.. but just fall a bar short of the song they are ripping off. or merely leave out the vocals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Its a pretty standard blues rock riff,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Nothing alike tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kip..

Nothing alike tbh
    exactly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Nothing alike tbh
    my sentiments exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If you compare the studio cut from GNR then yes, they are similar. As pointed out though, its a common lick.

Advertisement