Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer takes Ages to Start up

• 02-03-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

I'm running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop.
    It's a pretty powerful PC, but everytime windows starts up, it takes about 15 mins of running slowly, before I can finally use it properly for high performance stuff.

So I think I need to remove some of the unnessesary startup programs. Problem is, I don't know which ones are important.

Going to MSCONFIG under startup, I have the following programs:

Alps Pointing Device Driver
    RAID Event Monitor
    HD Audio Control Panel
    Realtek Voice Manager
    Java (TM) Platform SE 6 U14
    Kodak Aio Printer Driver
    ISB Utility
    Catalyst Control Centre
    Norton Online Backup
    Marketing Tools
    Adobe CS4 Service Manager
    Adobe Acrobat
    Adobe Version Cue CS4
    AVG Internet Security
    Groovemonitor Utility
    iTunes
    Kodak Aio Printer Driver (again for some reason)
    Bluetooth Software

Which of these can be safely removed and/or disabled?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

you haven't got AVG to scan automatically on startup by any chance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IMO just leave the AVG.

IMO just leave the AVG.

I wouldn't recommend that at all!!!! for example your touchpad won't work if you disable ALPS pointing device etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It is set to scan once a week, wednesdays at 12:00.

There is a box which is ticked saying
    "Run on startup if task has been missed"

Would it be worth unticking? It seems to run slowly every time I start it up, and I'm on it a good 10 hours a day.

Blisterman wrote: »
    It is set to scan once a week, wednesdays at 12:00.

There is a box which is ticked saying
    "Run on startup if task has been missed"

Would it be worth unticking? It seems to run slowly every time I start it up, and I'm on it a good 10 hours a day.

yeah take that check out and and reboot and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend that at all!!!! for example your touchpad won't work if you disable ALPS pointing device etc. etc.

The touch pad will still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I bolded the ones I think you need.
    Disable the rest and reboot.
    I'm running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop.
    It's a pretty powerful PC, but everytime windows starts up, it takes about 15 mins of running slowly, before I can finally use it properly for high performance stuff.

So I think I need to remove some of the unnessesary startup programs. Problem is, I don't know which ones are important.

Alps Pointing Device Driver
    RAID Event Monitor
    HD Audio Control Panel
    Realtek Voice Manager
    Kodak Aio Printer Driver
    ISB Utility
    Catalyst Control Centre
    Norton Online Backup
    Marketing Tools
    Adobe Acrobat
    Adobe Version Cue CS4
    AVG Internet Security
    Groovemonitor Utility
    iTunes
    Bluetooth Software

Btw, you can download and run http://www.winpatrol.com/
    It will sit next to the clock in bottom right corner. Click it and choose options, the startup programs.
    You can then highlight each entry and choose Info, then choose to disabloe or remove the entry from starting up with Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ok, tried that. It seems to boot up alright. Still quite slow though.
    With only firefox open, the task manager shows 84 proccesses at 30% of the physical memory in use. I've got 6GB in total, so this seems like a very high amount. The 'processes' tab only lists 24 processes and no one program is using a lot.

Firefox is using 100mb
    Explorer - 37mb
    DWM.exe - 14mb
    ccc.exe - 12mb

And the other 20 are using well under that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Download ccleaner... www.ccleaner.com and give it a run through. Check registry as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I wouldn't worry about the high RAM usage. Windows vista and 7 take as much as they can to improve performance, and give it back quickly if required by an application.

Disable the AntiVirus to see if it helps. Move to a lighter solution like avast or avira or ms security essentials if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you have had the laptop for a while i would recommend defragmenting the Operating system partition of the harddrive.

If you dont know where it is the file can be gotten in c:\windows\system32\dfrgui.exe

Next thing is after the window system boots have a look in the task manager process tab and arrange them by cpu usage.

Is there anything that is using excessive cpu?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Really finding it hard to see how a machine with 6GB's is running slow :confused:

/heads off to do some serious Googling for research :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Really finding it hard to see how a machine with 6GB's is running slow :confused:

/heads off to do some serious Googling for research :)

6gb is just memory. it doesn't add much to speed when you get to a certain point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

RAID Event Monitor
    Realtek Voice Manager
    ISB Utility
    Norton Online Backup
    Marketing Tools
    Adobe Acrobat
    Adobe Version Cue CS4
    AVG Internet Security
    Groovemonitor Utility
    iTunes
    Bluetooth Software

You can quite easily get rid of all these remaining ones. I'm not 100% sure what ISB Utility is (though even if it's meant to be USB I'd say get rid of it).

None of them are essential to Widnows though, so get rid of them, and if any of those programs run differently, you'll know to put that option back on.
    Ok, tried that. It seems to boot up alright. Still quite slow though.
    With only firefox open, the task manager shows 84 proccesses at 30% of the physical memory in use. I've got 6GB in total, so this seems like a very high amount. The 'processes' tab only lists 24 processes and no one program is using a lot.

Firefox is using 100mb
    Explorer - 37mb
    DWM.exe - 14mb
    ccc.exe - 12mb

And the other 20 are using well under that.

With 6GB of RAM, memory usage isn't important. FInd out what's using up the CPU usage (Task Manager> Processes; shows up as a percentage of CPU use). If anything is over 60, that's most likely your problem.

Advertisement