Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane Not Sorry For Headbutt

• 02-03-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Zidane vows never to apologise

zidane-headbutt.jpg:D
    Zidane wrote:
    "Things happen on the pitch. It's happened to me many times. But I could not stand it that time. Because...it's not an excuse. But my mother was sick. She was in hospital. This people didn't know.
    "But it was a bad moment. More than once they had insulted my mother and I never responded. But in that moment ... it happened.
    "If it was Kaka, an ordinary guy, a good guy, of course I would have apologized. But to this one!" he said. "If I ask forgiveness of him, I lack respect for myself and for all those I love with all my heart."

One of my favourite players, if only he wasn't associated with Madrid.:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Doesn't Mater, he's nuts...

*Grabs Coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play to him. Why should he be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A quality player.

Will always remember this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

CHD wrote: »
    Legend

Very much so. Absolutely savage footballer. Deserved every accolade he ever got.

But I also love Materazzi for some reason; he's just SUCH a thug, he makes no effort to hide it at all. A proper butcher man. Born about a decade or two too late; he'd have slotted in perfectly into the hatchet teams of the 1970's/80's. He defo had a grudge for Andriy Shevchenko...

Love Zidane, Love Materazzi, Love Football...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

DazMarz wrote: »
    Very much so. Absolutely savage footballer. Deserved every accolade he ever got.

But I also love Materazzi for some reason; he's just SUCH a thug, he makes no effort to hide it at all. A proper butcher man. Born about a decade or two too late; he'd have slotted in perfectly into the hatchet teams of the 1970's/80's. He defo had a grudge for Andriy Shevchenko...

Love Zidane, Love Materazzi, Love Football...

I could never stand Materazzi, just hated him. I was delighted when Zidane did that, it was clearly deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I don't like Materazzi at all. Even if Zidane never played football and just headbutted him he is still a legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Or playing in the wrong league, LOI would suit him down to the ground, absolute hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

CHD wrote: »
    I don't like Materazzi at all. Even if Zidane never played football and just headbutted him he is still a legend :)

Especially with the way Materazzi plays. He kicks around players for 90 minutes.

And it wasn't the first time he was head-butted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Respect for Zidane rose highly that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Zidane's a legend. Fair play to him for headbutting Materazzi. Pity it's the way he ended his international career.

Mater is a troublemaker and a dirty player (was). Deserved everything he got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Doocey wrote: »
    Zidane's a legend. Fair play to him for headbutting Materazzi. Pity it's the way he ended his international career.

Mater is a troublemaker and a dirty player (was). Deserved everything he got.

A World Cup winners medal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stovelid wrote: »
    Fair play to him. Why should he be.

Most other players woudl be called a scumbag for what he did.

His ability or who he did it too doesnt change what he dd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why should he apologise?

he's right to never apologise imo, but why was his brought up again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Obviously none of you lot played any sport at anything near a competitive level?

Talk like that happens in EVERY game.

JT is legendary for it, most "hard men" centre backs are known for it.

A lot of strikers are ALWAYS in the defenders ear saying **** like that, from an Irish perspective Clinton Morrison i know for it. From a premier league perspective Bellamy, Fowler, Di Canio, Cantona and a horse load more I couldn't be arsed naming are well known for saying the most ****ed up ****e to defenders while being marked.

Players like Maradona, Cruyff, Beirhoff, Klinsmen, both Laudrups, Patrick Kluivert, Marcelo Salas, Antonio Cassano and way more I can't be bothered typing are known for it.

It might not be right, but if Zidane is trying to claim nobody ever said **** in his ear while marking him before he is lying through his teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hero. Laid him out with a headbutt and exited stage left. You couldn't write it. Apology me arse, he should be given a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Seaneh wrote: »
    Obviously none of you lot played any sport at anything near a competitive level?

A lot of strikers are ALWAYS in the defenders ear saying **** like that, from an Irish perspective Clinton Morrison i know for it. From a premier league perspective Bellamy, Fowler, Di Canio, Cantona and a horse load more I couldn't be arsed naming are well known for saying the most ****ed up ****e to defenders while being marked.

Players like Maradona, Cruyff, Beirhoff, Klinsmen, both Laudrups, Patrick Kluivert, Marcelo Salas, Antonio Cassano and way more I can't be bothered typing are known for it.

It might not be right, but if Zidane is trying to claim nobody ever said **** in his ear while marking him before he is lying through his teeth.

So why did an experienced player like Zidane snap on this occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd like to think he apologised to his team mates, he let them down big time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pretty much, worked out perfectly for Materazzi, stupid reaction.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Losing in the last few minutes of the world cup final?
    Italy were ruining "his" moment?
    His ego is massive, he's always been a thug on the pitch, he was sent off a few times every season at Juve for dirty play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Because Materazzi is damn effective at what he does and Zizou is a bit of a scummer as well. he got 12 red cards in his career which is tons for an attacking midfielder, two for headbutting. Matterrazzi has gotten 28 but when you compare the positions the two play it's not miles apart.

I have always been a big fan of Materazzi despite him playing for Inter. He always always gives 100% and against Sheva he'll give you 500. He's not a talented man outside of high balls but psychologically the man is a great footballer. Amazing at psyching opposing players out with Vinnie Jones' esque tactics Phenomenal penalty taker, he scored 12 goals (an italian record) and captained Perugia to their best ever season.

Also lol at people calling the man who got headbutted a thug. Materazzi is a tough as nails centre back. Imposing tackles come with the role. Same as DM. you need to inspire fear into the opposing players. No different to an Actor assuming the personality the roll dictates. Zidane doesn't have to do that. he's not expected to tackle. yet he was stupid enough to get sent off in his swangsong and tarnish his legacy. Materazzi was clever enough to say something to get him to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It would have been better for ZZ to stick it to him by winning the WC, sure. And I'd have thought differently maybe if an Irish player had snapped.

Fuck it though -I've always detested the culture of trying to get players sent off. Whether through faking injury or chit-chat. I couldn't care less if it's widespread or seen as acceptable.

And I would have laughed if ZZ had went further and a serial offender (from a historically serial offending team like Italy) had gotten his head kicked in on world TV. Not going to pretend otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'd like to think he apologised to his team mates, he let them down big time.

He said he did.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Hero. Laid him out with a headbutt and exited stage left. You couldn't write it. Apology me arse, he should be given a medal.

He was. A worse one than Marco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Because Materazzi is damn effective at what he does and Zizou is a bit of a scummer as well. he got 12 red cards in his career which is tons for an attacking midfielder, two for headbutting. Matterrazzi has gotten 28 but when you compare the positions the two play it's not miles apart.

I have always been a big fan of Materazzi despite him playing for Inter. He always always gives 100% and against Sheva he'll give you 500. He's not a talented man outside of high balls but psychologically the man is a great footballer. Amazing at psyching opposing players out with Vinnie Jones' esque tactics Phenomenal penalty taker, he scored 12 goals (an italian record) and captained Perugia to their best ever season.

Also lol at people calling the man who got headbutted a thug. Materazzi is a tough as nails centre back. Imposing tackles come with the role. Same as DM. you need to inspire fear into the opposing players. No different to an Actor assuming the personality the roll dictates. Zidane doesn't have to do that. he's not expected to tackle. yet he was stupid enough to get sent off in his swangsong and tarnish his legacy. Materazzi was clever enough to say something to get him to do it.

Um, theres a video of him on the previous page in which he nails Shev in the balls without even making an attempt for the ball. Lol, the guys a thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Agreed. I doube there's ANY player over the age of 16 playing at a decent level that hasn't experienced or do it themselves.
    He was sent off 14 times in his career, more times than Vinnie Jones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Losing in the last few minutes of the world cup final?
    Italy were ruining "his" moment?
    His ego is massive, he's always been a thug on the pitch, he was sent off a few times every season at Juve for dirty play!

It was a draw wasn't it?

Italy were dominant, he was frustrated.
    He was playing poorly and knew it.

• Advertisement

Um, theres a video of him on the previous page in which he nails Shev in the balls without even making an attempt for the ball. Lol, the guys a thug.

He jumps at him and catches him in the groin. It's not like he gets him in a muay thai clench and goes for the sack. And anyway, that's in a heated derby where the top striker will always be singled out for "special attention" by the opposing hard man. It's no different from Keane's tackle on Overmars in that crucial Ireland vs. Holland match a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I simply love Materazzi. Again, I don't know why, because he is probably easily one of the dirtiest players of the last 5 years or so. Always good for a flying high tackle and so on. Scummer, but a deadly defender too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i actually agree with the people here who are saying he was a thug on the pitch

in my mind, no matter how talented he was, and he was obviously very gifted

he was always a dirty player, id never expect him to apologise for what he did there, cept to his teammates, but to paint him as an angel is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Zidane said it happened many times before, but his mother was in hospital at the time this happened. It's in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because he's not above the odd bit of scumbag behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Zidane is the type of player that fans from all teams could love and admire.
    Materazzi, imo, is the type of player that only fans of the team he plays for (A face only a mother could love type).

I love the two fo them, in different ways. Zidane for his skills and ability and Materazzi for his hardness and psychological tactics.

I often get abuse in rugby matches, and sometimes give it back but the best way to get someone back is to hurt them legally or win. Now, I know it's a lot easier to legally hurt someone in rugby than it is in soccer, just sayin' is all.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

More than once they had insulted my mother and I never responded

Did I miss something here?

it's not as if Materazzi said something like I hope your mother never leaves hospital or something. I'm pretty sure he just expressed his desire to **** the two of them which is standard fare in football

yup, he said something along the lines of "after we win i am going to fu*k your sister, and your mother, the whore"

I've had far worse said to me in scrums/rooks in rugby and while marking/being marked in soccer and sky ball games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Have always loved materazzi! Have had this as the background on my computer for the last few years :)

materazzi-rui-costa.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Materazzi replies on his website...

mercibeaucoupmonsieur.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Love the way it's just AC players getting kicked in that video!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a bit stupid to say he'll never apologise when he already has done, publicly.

Advertisement