Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin Manuscripts dating from 1600

Options
  • 02-03-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I have came across some Latin and english manuscripts dating back to the early 1600.

I done some searching in realtion to finding out are they of any importance but didn't find to much.

Would anyone out there know who I could see or would these manuscripts be of a historical value?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just did some quick googling and got these. I'd say there'd be someone at one of these libraries who would be interested.

http://www.ucd.ie/library/services_&_facilities/index.html

https://www.tcd.ie/Library/support/contact/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WayKay

Thanks

I'll check these out.

Stupid me. I must be asleep or something.

The National Library, try here:

http://www.nli.ie/en/homepage.aspx

It looks like they have an email form so you can make a first enquiry online.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Not to take away from your find, or its historical worth, but I was hunting around in my grandparents stables during the summer and found a box thrown in the corner, and inside were letters from 1660, court documents from 1795 and some later bit and pieces including military passes and gun licences from Dublin Castle from 1918 and 1920, and a very elaborate passport from 1911. I contacted the National Library, got a polite email back, and then never heard from them again.

Perhaps mine were of no interest though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WayKay

These are more of a family belonging. Although I'm quite surprised to hear that they didn't take the matter any further with you. Had they ask to see them or anything? Probably just give them a quick email to see does it generate any interest.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

All of mine were family letters too. They had just been left out there and forgotten. I gave them a breakdown of the content, and teh background that I knew about each one. They said they were interested and would look into it and never got back to me.

Mind you, I never really followed it up either.

All of mine were family letters too. They had just been left out there and forgotten. I gave them a breakdown of the content, and teh background that I knew about each one. They said they were interested and would look into it and never got back to me.

Mind you, I never really followed it up either.

Its a really good way to keep old family documents safe. Its either that or keep them in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's surprising that the NLI didn't get back to you. I'm based there quite a lot at the moment researching and I've often seen people come in with family papers that they've found and a staff member will sit down with them and discuss it. Obviously they'd have made an appointment, but it may be worthwhile phoning them or emailing them again and seeing what they have to say. You stated that you had done some research on the content of the documents. Perhaps if you mentioned to the person at the NLI the content of the papers you found they might be in a better position to tell you whether or not they'd take them.

Most documents are valuable historical sources. Unfortunately the perception is that often it's only papers which mention political, religious or land issues are really valuable, but sources such as diaries and personal letters are invaluable too as they provide so much information on the day-to-day living of individuals and families, as well as providing brief snapshots of life during a particular period.

Edit: The manuscripts department deal with all the 'older' papers, normally family papers and those older than 1850s, so you could try contacting them directly and see if they could help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Get out your digital camera, photograph them and post them here and I might be able to help you.

Alternatively, Colm Lennon in Maynooth, Tadhg Ó hAnnracháin in UCD, Gráinne McLoughlin in UU Coleraine or any of the 13 translators listed on this website - all experts on early modern Latin - should be able to help you:

Advertisement