Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats a good first car?

• 02-03-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

looking to buy my first car now,still on learners permit and wanting to spend under 5000 but get something nice. its mainly for surburban driving and the odd long trip.defo want 4 seats or more and hopefully 4 doors but would live with 2,something not to hard to drive and manoevur..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of first car owners are limited by what they can afford to insure rather than what they can afford to drive. Have you tried getting a few insurance quotes on different cars? This will narrow down the field in terms of what you should be looking at as insurance companies will only cover a learner on cars up to a certain size and power.

Also I would probably only spend half of that budget on my first car, chances are you will get tired of it after a year or so and want to move on to something better. There is also the chance you may tip or scrape it, on a cheap run around it will not be end of the world.

As a first car for a learner driver I would suggest something along the lines of a Micra, Fiesta or Yaris. They are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to run and easy to maneuver. They are also ideal for urban driving and the odd long trip. Downside is that they are not ideal for transporting many passengers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

cheers. most of the time it will be just me but i will be driving the mates around a bit. havent looked at insurance yet,good idea. would going to the different companies myself be better or going to a broker?

Go for a Yaris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Skoda Fabia 1.2, only came with the 1.2 from 2003 and a bit on the slow side and won't win any beauty contests but extremely characterful and bulletproof too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

jomc wrote: »
    cheers. most of the time it will be just me but i will be driving the mates around a bit. havent looked at insurance yet,good idea. would going to the different companies myself be better or going to a broker?
    Both, the more time you spend getting quotes from every possible source the more you will save. Especially with for first time driver where the differences between companies will be huge.

edit: even if a broker quotes you for a particular company, try the company directly as well, and vice versa, there will be differences between the direct and broker quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Can't recommend one of these enough. Keep the 2k saved for any scrapes... :)

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

€2,950

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Panda/1.1-Acti/201007196916759/advert?channel=CARS

Advertisement