Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Back j-1 Tax- Can it be done?

• 02-03-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi Guys I was on a J1 last year to San Francisco. I want to get 215 dollars in tax thats owed to me. Originally I was going to get taxback.com to do it, but I found out today that they charge 90 dollars of the 215! So Im gonna give it a go myself. I was wondering has anyone attempted this? And succeeded?!

I am half way through the 1040NR form and already I am having problems.
    I learnt today that I also need my DS-2019 form (wherever Im gonna get that I dont know, I thought I gave that to the J1 people) and a Form 8843, which is simple enough but I also need to ask a few things about that.

I also need to get a California State Tax refund form, I asked my employer could they secure that for me. If not Ill have to write to the tax office in California and ask for it.

Jesus This may more hassle than its worth.

As regards the 1040NR, has anyone filled this out?
    What other forms/documents do I need? I have my W-2 form. I have an email of my final paycheck, not the hard copy.

Any help AT ALL would be much appreciated.

Kav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roberto89

hi, i am just back from a j1 in new york and am looking for the same info. did u figure it out

Advertisement