Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was this old photography equipment?

• 02-03-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if any photography expert knows what this was? There's an old movie from the 1930s called 'Charlie Chan at the Opera'. One scene has the police transmitting a photograph of a suspect to another station by wrapping the photo around a cylinder. They then use a microphone to record the sound emitted from a machine which reads the photo image. This recording is then transmitted along phone lines to the other police station and they develop the photograph from the transmitted sounds. Did such equipment exists or was this just a movie thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

morse fax?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Nolanger wrote: »
    Was wondering if any photography expert knows what this was? There's an old movie from the 1930s called 'Charlie Chan at the Opera'. One scene has the police transmitting a photograph of a suspect to another station by wrapping the photo around a cylinder. They then use a microphone to record the sound emitted from a machine which reads the photo image. This recording is then transmitted along phone lines to the other police station and they develop the photograph from the transmitted sounds. Did such equipment exists or was this just a movie thing?

Was probably a representatoin of a fax machine, which was developed in the latter part of the 19th Century and would've been in common enough use in by the 1930's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirephoto
    via http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id31.html

And thanks I feel fecking old now because it reminded me of using a telex in work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

democrates wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirephoto
    via http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id31.html

And thanks I feel fecking old now because it reminded me of using a telex in work.

LOL :D I remember the telex well. I also remember telegrams (I used to deliver them). God I'm getting old - and today is my B-Day (2 years on boards today :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

LOL :D I remember the telex well. I also remember telegrams (I used to deliver them). God I'm getting old - and today is my B-Day (2 years on boards today :))

Happy Birthday you old fart :D

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday! And thanks you fixed it, telegrams go way back :D. Both still in use in odd places is the gas part, why, in my day...

Hey, when I said B-Day I meant BOARDS-Day not Birthday :o

Two years to the day that I joined Boards.ie :)

PS. You can all stop sending me the cards with fivers in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Congratulations on 2 years and I remember those small green envelopes too.
    Were you called "the wire boy" as most telegram boys were ?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Were you called "the wire boy" as most telegram boys were ?

No, we were JP's (Junior Postmen). When you drove the motor bikes and had a few crashes under your belt you were an "Ace" :)

Remember the night time photowalk back in November? I took this shot in the GPO Arcade off Henry Street.
    C277A9A208024AA6A21A65AEA0B4AFAC-500.jpg

That was where we were based and between us on our bikes and the Indo guys on their scooters, Pricnce's Street had to be one of the most dangerous streets in Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hey it's my birthday too! I don't remember to Telex though :o
    Anyho, sorry for going of topic, I've no clue what that machiny-ma-thingie is...

Whoops... Mine actually IS today haha

• Advertisement

Lol, ex P&T here too albeit briefly, engineering branch then Telecom/eircom. Early days were gas "Are those gloves issue?", "yeah but you'll be waitin 2 year on stores". One country lad known for watching every penny was royally set up and got roasted by the OC when he asked for a non-existing form to claim the "milk and matches allowance". It was like a Carry On movie at times.

There was a museum of all the old equipment out in Kimmage Manor, wonder where that stuff is now...

Advertisement