Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Stephen Ireland on The Way Out of City??

• 02-03-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

On the day his ex International colleagues are playing against the cream of the cream, Stephen Ireland is pondering his (club) future. Not sure if too many on here will be too concerned as to what happens to him.

Talented player obviously but certainly seems to struggle when not being played in his favoured attacking midfield role. However, position changes will always be a possibility at the big clubs as they bring in new players unless you are a mega star which Ireland isnt. Even Rooney had to accept being played on the wing but he accepted it.

I wonder will his refusal to play for his country help or hinder him in his quest for a new club if that is what he is doing. I read previously that Mancini told him he would like to see him playing with his country.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article7045822.ece

Ireland’s future at Manchester City in doubt

Stephen Ireland’s future with Manchester City is looking increasingly uncertain after the midfield player was dropped for the 4-2 win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Manchester United, Aston Villa and Valencia are monitoring Ireland’s situation and unless there is a dramatic improvement in his fortunes, he feels he could be forced to leave in the summer.

The official line was that Ireland missed the Chelsea game because of a hamstring injury, but sources close to the player said he was fit and had simply been omitted from Roberto Mancini’s 18-man squad, the latest indication that he does not fit into the manager’s plans.

Ireland has completed 90 minutes for City only twice since Mancini replaced Mark Hughes as manager in December. He has also played just 265 minutes in his favoured position, at the tip of the midfield, and has failed to impress Mancini during those games. The Italian is not convinced Ireland can fit into his preferred 4-3-1-2 formation, although the Chelsea win was masterminded using a 4-1-4-1 system.

Ireland was named the club’s Player of the Year last season after scoring 13 goals, but although he retains hope of winning over Mancini, he accepts that he may have to consider his options.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Man City thread imo. Not big news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dixiefly wrote: »
    On the day his ex International colleagues are playing against the cream of the cream, Stephen Ireland is pondering his (club) future. Not sure if too many on here will be too concerned as to what happens to him.

Talented player obviously but certainly seems to struggle when not being played in his favoured attacking midfield role. However, position changes will always be a possibility at the big clubs as they bring in new players unless you are a mega star which Ireland isnt. Even Rooney had to accept being played on the wing but he accepted it.

I wonder will his refusal to play for his country help or hinder him in his quest for a new club if that is what he is doing. I read previously that Mancini told him he would like to see him playing with his country.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article7045822.ece

Ireland’s future at Manchester City in doubt

Stephen Ireland’s future with Manchester City is looking increasingly uncertain after the midfield player was dropped for the 4-2 win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Manchester United, Aston Villa and Valencia are monitoring Ireland’s situation and unless there is a dramatic improvement in his fortunes, he feels he could be forced to leave in the summer.

The official line was that Ireland missed the Chelsea game because of a hamstring injury, but sources close to the player said he was fit and had simply been omitted from Roberto Mancini’s 18-man squad, the latest indication that he does not fit into the manager’s plans.

Ireland has completed 90 minutes for City only twice since Mancini replaced Mark Hughes as manager in December. He has also played just 265 minutes in his favoured position, at the tip of the midfield, and has failed to impress Mancini during those games. The Italian is not convinced Ireland can fit into his preferred 4-3-1-2 formation, although the Chelsea win was masterminded using a 4-1-4-1 system.

Ireland was named the club’s Player of the Year last season after scoring 13 goals, but although he retains hope of winning over Mancini, he accepts that he may have to consider his options.

:)

I think saf wouldnt mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would love him at Liverpool. maybe City would accept vouchers for the club shop in exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

CHD wrote: »
    Man City thread imo. Not big news.

I think the Irish angle to it brings it beyond Man City news. Not saying it is big news mind you but there are a lot of people who would be interested in this that may not be frequenting the man City thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Appears not to have had the best of seasons imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Headshot wrote: »
    :)

I think saf wouldnt mind

agreed, most wouldnt though if he had an extended period on the sidelines he may prefer himself to have the exposure and level of involvement that the international games bring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I just hate Stephen Ireland threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Couldn't give a fiddler's.
    Hope he gets to see what it's like to be shafted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Can't stand him. Don't care much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Aston Villa bound or maybe Sunderland.

Not as great a player as some make out. Similiar to lampard without the 20 goals a season.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

Not as great a player as some make out. Similiar to lampard without the 20 goals a season.

That just doesn't make sense no matter how many times I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Happy enough with Downing, Milner & Young tbh. Unless he can replace Petrov, which I doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dear Stephen Ireland,

Please click here

File -> Print

Get in car.

Follow printed directions.

For and on behalf of,
    Every Villa fan.*

*EDIT: Every Villa fan except Kinetic, by the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sunderland? Give over. This guy has the ability to be a Lampard in time. He is still young. It's not good for his development to be shifted all over the park and be asked to play different roles.

If he was at United or Arsenal he would get the guidance he needs.

I hope City do sell him. It will wind up like the Dunne transfer - backfiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    *EDIT: Every Villa fan except Kinetic, by the looks of things

And me ;)

I think he is a great player but far too temperamental and I don't see him fitting into the Villa Park dressing room or MON's immediate plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't get the Lampard comparisons.

Ireland is tailor made for Man United.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I think the Irish angle to it brings it beyond Man City news. Not saying it is big news mind you but there are a lot of people who would be interested in this that may not be frequenting the man City thread.

There is no Irish angle to this story , he has turned his back on his country , good riddins to him.

Im delighted he is not getting his game with City .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

agreed, most wouldnt though if he had an extended period on the sidelines he may prefer himself to have the exposure and level of involvement that the international games bring.

I dont think he would ever be brought back into the Irish fold even if he changed his mind .

Most Irish fans are done with him and cant see too many of the current team happy to see this nut job waltzing back into the Irish setup because he decided that he wanted to play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

staker wrote: »
    Couldn't give a fiddler's.
    Hope he gets to see what it's like to be shafted

That'd be Liverpool so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I dont think he would ever be brought back into the Irish fold even if he changed his mind .

Most Irish fans are done with him and cant see too many of the current team happy to see this nut job waltzing back into the Irish setup because he decided that he wanted to play again.

I very much doubt that. I think most would rather let bygones be bygones and see us qualify for a World Cup myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would love him at United tbh, can't see City selling him to their biggest rivals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

would love to see him at United. Annoys me as much as any player could, but in terms of talent I think he would be a grea signing for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Raekwon wrote: »
    And me ;)
    Me three. Good player but would be loathe to see him in a Villa jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have to join join the schadenfreude brigade here. I hope he goes to a mid table club, loses form and his career goes down hill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Agreed, I'd love to see him at United.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Agreed, I'd love to see him at United.

not sure would he get into our CM thou

would he get ahead of carrick, I just dont know...

not sure would he get into our CM thou

would he get ahead of carrick, I just dont know...

If he is as good as last seasons form suggests, then yes. Easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Liam O wrote: »
    Would love him at United tbh, can't see City selling him to their biggest rivals though.

We gave them Tevez and they can't score without him. It's the least they could do...

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Was it not obvious?

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, hasn't been as good as last season, I know he hasn't played much recently, but his form earlier in the season was not as good.

Was it not obvious?

Well one gets regular football for United while the other isn't getting a look in for City...

Well one gets regular football for United while the other isn't getting a look in for City...
    I was being sarcastic mate, of course he would, with flying colours i may add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This guy doesn't deserve a thread of his own!!!!

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Thats the thing, hasn't been as good as last season, I know he hasn't played much recently, but his form earlier in the season was not as good.

Sounds obvious saying it, but i think he'd look much better surrounded by classier players. He looked excellent with Robinho when Robinho was bothered.

It's hard to fake form like his last season over the course of a season. Although he's not looked great this season you can still his composure and ability on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

we need him in Ireland's midfield..there's no doubt about that

• Advertisement

syngindub wrote: »
    we need him in Ireland's midfield..there's no doubt about that

No we need players who want to play for ireland.

Sounds obvious saying it, but i think he'd look much better surrounded by classier players. He looked excellent with Robinho when Robinho was bothered.

It's hard to fake form like his last season over the course of a season. Although he's not looked great this season you can still his composure and ability on the ball.

Agree.

No we need players who want to play for ireland.

I want to play for Ireland. I am by no means of international standard but I want to play for Ireland as much as anyone. Am I what our international team needs?

magma69 wrote: »
    I want to play for Ireland. I am by no means of international standard but I want to play for Ireland as much as anyone. Am I what our international team needs?

Can you run around for 90 minutes tackling anything with the ball? Can you be completley incapable of playing a forward pass? Can you show up and be prepared to play as good as you are for 90 minutes ?

4113107668_16b984e680_o.jpg

If so would rather 11 of you then 1 of him.

magma69 wrote: »
    Yes we could need you, you can replace mcshane

• Advertisement

Can you run around for 90 minutes tackling anything with the ball? Can you be completley incapable of playing a forward pass? Can you show up and be prepared to play as good as you are for 90 minutes ?

4113107668_16b984e680_o.jpg

If so would rather 11 of you then 1 of him.

I disagree with your view but thanked you because you filled me with inspiration. I'm off to play some late night footie :D. YEAHHH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its such a shame to see one of Ireland's best young players just be constantly put down. He deserves to be not playing for Man City cause he won't play for Ireland.. Why? Just stop looking for an excuse to give out about him, you don't like him WE GET IT. If you don't like him don't come into the thread to go "Oh he deserves it" people actually wanna discuss it, not read through people going "Well he dosn't deserve to play cause I don't like him" Its a joke. Cop on, mods should be in here banning people or warning people for it.

Anyway, onto the actual topic. It does look like he is on the way of City which is probably better, I thought he was on his way out when Viera came in, I know that they don't play the same position but it was just the start of things. I would be absoloutly gutted to see him at United (Liverpool fan) cause I wanna support him... But you know :D. I think he could be exactly what United need, Fletcher and Carrick will do the work, but neither of them are great going forward or have that flair. I would love to have him at Liverpool but he would just be wasted.

I think with him leaving City it will be a good move rather than a bad move so it will be interesting to see come the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hope so. In my 33 years of following Manchester City, he's the player I dislike most of all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a certain red and black strip.

Number 10 shirt will be empty soon, he would fit nicely into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Seaneh wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing him in a certain red and black strip.

Number 10 shirt will be empty soon, he would fit nicely into it.

Bohs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Hope so. In my 33 years of following Manchester City, he's the player I dislike most of all.

ha 33 years!!!**** all!!

sorry bud!;)

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

I like to think i'd be able to put national pride aside and dislike thugs like Barton and Thatcher more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dear mr Ireland intrested in a mid season loan ? Spurs are and don't worry there's no competition for places there all crocked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

He's a right little boll0x, but id still like him to be a boll0x in a Utd shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To all these people accusing him of being a boll0x, having a bad attitude, etc. - is this purely based on his decision not to play for Ireland?

• Advertisement
Advertisement