Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Stephen Ireland on The Way Out of City??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Neil3030 wrote: »
    To all these people accusing him of being a boll0x, having a bad attitude, etc. - is this purely based on his decision not to play for Ireland?

It has to be, he has done nothing wrong at City, they have never given out about him at all. But if he sneezes nowadays its cause he is evil. If Beckham sneezes its cause he is trying to clean the world. Crazy how things differ from one person to the other. People see the bad in him cause they want to, not cause he is doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

To all these people accusing him of being a boll0x, having a bad attitude, etc. - is this purely based on his decision not to play for Ireland?

I think its because tried 2 kill his grannies... he got a hair transplant... and he drove a pink hummer a few years ago..

i may be wrong though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1574.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Feel he would turn into another Liam Miller at United but maybe their midfield is not as good now as it was when Miller was trying to break into the team. Think a team like Villa or Everton or maybe a move to Spain. If he moved to Spain he might miss home and come play for Ireland. Fingers crossed we could always do with a great player like him in the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If he moved to Spain he might miss home and come play for Ireland. Fingers crossed we could always do with a great player like him in the fold.

But he already lives abroad :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hopefully he will move further abroad and i wont have to hear about him or listen to people talk about how much they want him back in the Ireland team anymore

Seriously like, he has said over and over he has no interest in playing for his country, why would we want him when he feels nothing wearing the jersey

rather have a guy with less talent (see Andrews + Whelan etc.) playing for my country then a fella who it means nothing to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Which time?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But he already lives abroad :confused:

I meant he could use internationals to meet up with family and friends and grannies, if he didnt play internationals he would be expected to train the weeks games are on if he did play he could arrange to meet people around games.... Just an idea the essential thing he is back in an Ireland jersey. The thing is he didnt let us down as much as a certain Roy Keane and you all welcomed him back with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I meant he could use internationals to meet up with family and friends and grannies, if he didnt play internationals he would be expected to train the weeks games are on if he did play he could arrange to meet people around games.... Just an idea the essential thing he is back in an Ireland jersey. The thing is he didnt let us down as much as a certain Roy Keane and you all welcomed him back with open arms.

But if he doesn't play internationals he will have more free time and can use the longer break to meet up with them :p

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But if he doesn't play internationals he will have more free time and can use the longer break to meet up with them :p

but he will be is Spain and expected to go training but maybe his gran would enjoy a trip to Spain you could be right. The thing is I would love to see him in the green of Ireland again. A very talented player who would increase out attacking capabilities no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'm not sure i'd want to play for Ireland if a bunch of English guys pretending to be Irish for the weekend teased me about my hairpiece. And i more talented than them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Hope so. In my 33 years of following Manchester City, he's the player I dislike most of all.

Wow I'm actually stunned by that. Are you sure you've been a fan for 33 years if Ireland is player you dislike the most? In terms of City, can I ask why?

Good to see Irish begrugery alive and well in this thread. Rather than deal with the issue of his club career it's all brought back to the unrelated topic of his decision not to play international football.

People say they're fed up talking about him yet still find the time to wade in with their opinion on how he is a bollox or a twat or whatever else.

Irony at its finest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wow I'm actually stunned by that. Are you sure you've been a fan for 33 years if Ireland is player you dislike the most? In terms of City, can I ask why?

Good to see Irish begrugery alive and well in this thread. Rather than deal with the issue of his club career it's all brought back to the unrelated topic of his decision not to play international football.

People say they're fed up talking about him yet still find the time to wade in with their opinion on how he is a bollox or a twat or whatever else.

Irony at its finest.
    This isn't threadworthy

He upset alot of Irish by retiring

He is in general a bit of a plank

What do you expect?

CHD wrote: »
    This isn't threadworthy

He upset alot of Irish by retiring

He is in general a bit of a plank

What do you expect?

Oh this is what I expected alright.

I was merely pointing out the fantastic irony of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

LOL at people who say that this topic isn't threadworthy even though there are 5 pages chalked up already. I don't like Stephen Ireland nor am I a Man City fan but yet when I saw the thread title I felt compelled to enter before going into any other thread in this forum.

People say he's an arsehole? Fair enough but has his behaviour at City not been close to exemplary? Is this thread not about his relationship with Man City? In that case he doesn't deserve this backlash in relation to his tenure at City. I agree with Xavi6 in that people are just hopping on this thread and lambasting him just because of his relationship with the Ireland team. It's got nothing to do with his time at City and this is what the thread is actually about. He's been a great servant for City.

Typical kneejerk reaction without any basis if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Its obvious that Mancini doesn't really fancy Stephen Ireland. He has hardly managed to pick him for 2 games in a row. I know he has had a few injuries but when he has returned it is for the odd game. City are a far more solid team when he is on the bench. He offers no defensive cover to his defenders and this is why Mancini doesn't pick him for the tough games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its obvious that Mancini doesn't really fancy Stephen Ireland.

If Mancini not fancying him is the issue then Ireland has no problems. Mancini to leave city at the end of the season is much more likely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Needless to say i'd take him in a second at Liverpool. Midfield of Mascherano, Ireland, Lucas and Aquilani does it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Needless to say i'd take him in a second at Liverpool. Midfield of Mascherano, Ireland, Lucas and Aquilani does it for me.

no width at all in that....

no width at all in that....

Only 2 at a time obviously . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

LOL at people who say that this topic isn't threadworthy even though there are 5 pages chalked up already. I don't like Stephen Ireland nor am I a Man City fan but yet when I saw the thread title I felt compelled to enter before going into any other thread in this forum.

People say he's an arsehole? Fair enough but has his behaviour at City not been close to exemplary? Is this thread not about his relationship with Man City? In that case he doesn't deserve this backlash in relation to his tenure at City. I agree with Xavi6 in that people are just hopping on this thread and lambasting him just because of his relationship with the Ireland team. It's got nothing to do with his time at City and this is what the thread is actually about. He's been a great servant for City.

Nail on head. Ireland showed last season that he is a damn fine player, if he was to leave City then Spurs, Liverpool, Villa and United would all be in the market for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

pfft...

Lucas wannabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Lucas and Ireland, now there's a centre mid of everyone here's dreams...

Lucas and Ireland, now there's a centre mid of everyone here's dreams...

I agree, I think they’d work well together. A point well made sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I seem to recall that part of the justificationfor his refusal to play for the Irish team was to be in better shape for playing for City and that this was his only priority. This demonstrates his committtment to City which, as you say, is exemplary. However, it can backfire in a way when he is not getting on the City teams & you can ask yourself what is he saving himself for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd love to see him at Liverpool, but I do think he's tailor-made for United. Could be the next Scholes for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

...................................????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I agree, I think they’d work well together. A point well made sir.

I actually agree with you, it's even possible that one day they'd be the best midfield in the league. Just pointing out how they'd unite the opinions of those that hate Lucas and Ireland, which seems to make up a large percentage of people here, judging by the sizes of their threads. I can't understand why though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd have him at United. We could do our own Welcome to Manchester Poster if we could afford the advertising space.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm disapointed that he doesn't play for Ireland but thats not the issue here, and unlike alot of people I actually see his point and respect his decision. He just doesn't like the FAI, it's nothing against the Irish people.

If city want to sell him, I think he'd be great at Utd and pretty much what we need with Scholes and Giggs on the way out, he's young and can still learn alot. Sure we whipped Giggs off them back in the day, they took Tevez I think it's only fair they screw up and sell us Ireland now..

• Advertisement

I actually agree with you, it's even possible that one day they'd be the best midfield in the league. Just pointing out how they'd unite the opinions of those that hate Lucas and Ireland, which seems to make up a large percentage of people here, judging by the sizes of their threads. I can't understand why though.

I like to think one is hated and the other is just midunderstood. And feared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

CHD wrote: »
    I just hate Stephen Ireland threads!
    staker wrote: »
    Couldn't give a fiddler's.
    Hope he gets to see what it's like to be shafted
    Osu wrote: »
    Can't stand him. Don't care much for him.
    kmart6 wrote: »
    This guy doesn't deserve a thread of his own!!!!

yet you all felt the need to click on a thread about him and post.

very strange

He may leave in the summer IMO, if so i think arsenal could be a destination for him. he would link well with fabregas, and they always play with a midfield 3 which suits him best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

For me , it was all the lies. If he did not want to play for the country he should of just said so instated of media circus that ensued the granny gate scandel and every time there is a sniff of him coming back.

That and his Landrover with the pink rims :D and his super man boxers :pac:

106665.jpg

Also his bebo name and wearing is OH's thong , and what he done to his OH's Bentley

106664.jpg

106663.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I could not give a fcuk about what he does in his private life unless it has a direct impact on his football.

None of that does.

I'm not fond of him after the Ireland stuff, but he's a decent player. I think his problem lies in that fact - he's playing in a team with a lot of decent players, and their tactics don't suit him at the moment.

For me , it was all the lies. If he did not want to play for the country he should of just said so instated of media circus that ensued the granny gate scandel and every time there is a sniff of him coming back.

That and his Landrover with the pink rims :D and his super man boxers :pac:

<pointless pics>

And what has any of that got to do with the topic at hand - his future at City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Raekwon wrote: »
    And me ;)

I think he is a great player but far too temperamental and I don't see him fitting into the Villa Park dressing room or MON's immediate plans.

hes had no problems at club level

id have him in a flash, couldnt give a toss about the irish national side thing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just saw the OP there, Valencia interested....

Villa
    Mata---Ireland---Silva

Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

City wont sell him to United:( and if they were considering it, it would want to be a lot of money which United dont have. I can see him going to Spain to be honest. He likes d nancyboy footballers lifestyle and would love a tan. In saying that, City will probably have a new manager in the summer so he might come back into the team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

And what has any of that got to do with the topic at hand - his future at City?

It was a reply to question asked to the people whom dislike him, and I was having a bit of a laugh , wont bother in future :(

Didnt realize things are taken so seriously around these parts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It was a reply to question asked to the people whom dislike him, and I was having a bit of a laugh , wont bother in future :(

Didnt realize things are taken so seriously around these parts .

It's just that in every discussion there has ever been about Stephen Ireland there's always one who posts the same picture of the jeep and thinks they're hilarious...

They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we need to seperate our dislike for him in terms of the national team, from his record as a City player.

he's been nothing but the model professional for them; going through rigorous extra training at times to get back in shape for them for example.

yes, not many of us can understand him not wanting to play for Ireland, me included. i think he's a fool for it, as there should be no greater honour for someone than to represent their country at anything.

but Stephen Ireland is an excellent professional, and a very good footballer.

he would get in the utd, liverpool, possibly Arsenal, and probably Chelsea teams (given Ballack is an embarrassment most of the time).

IMO, City would end up regretting letting him go.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just saw the OP there, Valencia interested....

Villa
    Mata---Ireland---Silva

Nice!

But surely at least three of them will be at Liverpool next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd have him at Arsenal in a flash.

His dedication and work ethic at club level is nothing short of exemplary. How many other pro's take up MMA training in order to raise their physical condition when everyone else is on holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd have him at Arsenal in a flash.

His dedication and work ethic at club level is nothing short of exemplary. How many other pro's take up MMA training in order to raise their physical condition when everyone else is on holidays?

Completely agree.

I don't like decisions he has made off the pitch, or simply away from club football, but fook - Ronaldo made some questionable decisions, as did Rio, as did Beckham

sillyronaldo_280_539292a.jpg

173e6802b0163473e68a3632ab18ccfd.jpg

june4becs.jpg

All slaggable, but seriously, didn't stop me wanting them playing their football at United (though I still hope Rio's was part of a bet or something.... surely it was, right?)

Based on his footballing talent and work ethic, I'd have him at United in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

event wrote: »
    yet you all felt the need to click on a thread about him and post.

very strange

He may leave in the summer IMO, if so i think arsenal could be a destination for him. he would link well with fabregas, and they always play with a midfield 3 which suits him best.

What's strange about expressing my opinion on a forum?

He's left me and my country down without apologising, hence my dislike for the man.
    My disdain for the man is so much that I bear no goodwill to him at all, and that is my opinion, a one I'm entitled to have and express.

Maybe it's not the right thread for such an opinion, but then I'm hardly going to open a new thread just to lambast one player, am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Very sure. It was 1977 and City had lost the league title to Liverpool by one point.

Some people find it easier to separate Stephen Ireland's club performances from his general behaviour and antics with the international team. I don't.

Consequently he has risen to #1 on the "most despised" list ahead of Laurent Charvet, Joey Barton, Christian Negouai, Lee Bradbury, Michael Frontzeck, Adrian Heath, Kenny Clements, Perry Suckling, Nicky Summerbee, George Weah, Mike Walsh, Nigel Clough, Justin Fashanu, Danny Mills, Eike Immel, Bob Taylor...

Unreasonable? Maybe but I'm sticking with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

xavi, wat are you feelings on his future at City? surely you can't be happy about this?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Very sure. It was 1977 and City had lost the league title to Liverpool by one point.

Some people find it easier to separate Stephen Ireland's club performances from his general behaviour and antics with the international team. I don't.

Consequently he has risen to #1 on the "most despised" list ahead of Laurent Charvet, Joey Barton, Christian Negouai, Lee Bradbury, Michael Frontzeck, Adrian Heath, Kenny Clements, Perry Suckling, Nicky Summerbee, George Weah, Mike Walsh, Nigel Clough, Justin Fashanu, Danny Mills, Eike Immel, Bob Taylor...

Unreasonable? Maybe but I'm sticking with it.

What did Nicky Summerbee ever do?! Or Frontzeck and Immel? Ok they were a bit crap but hardly despiseable.

I just find it difficult to understand how you can hate a City player when he has done absolutely nothing wrong by the club. In fact, he has if anything been MORE dedicated than anyone by giving up international football so he can give his all for us.

A football club's dream scenario tbh.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    xavi, wat are you feelings on his future at City? surely you can't be happy about this?

Of course not no. He is being destroyed by Mancini and the negativity that comes with him.

Last year was no fluke. It was a combination of hard work, dedication, natural talent and a player being given a licence to play the role he does best. The same hasn't happened this year, and I fear we will lose one of our best players over it.

It'd be a shame but not surprising. It is City afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

if he can sell shirts in the far east then he'll be staying put

• Advertisement
Advertisement