Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Stephen Ireland on The Way Out of City??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont know if he is needed but i think he is top quality so would love to see Ireland at Villa and if they played their 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation then he could fit in really well plus i dont know if City would sell to Utd especially as they dont need the money.

........DM/Petrov....Milner

A.Young.....S.Ireland.....S.Downing

................Gabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, I'd like Ireland based on the potential of what I saw that season. However, I still felt he needed to go another level to be good enough for United. However, it looked like he was going to do it, but the managers haven't played like I expected.
    After this season though, it'd be more of a risk to go for him, not a dead cert, so I wouldn't want to break 20 on him. However, can't see City selling to United so its all academic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd have him at Arsenal in a flash.

His dedication and work ethic at club level is nothing short of exemplary. How many other pro's take up MMA training in order to raise their physical condition when everyone else is on holidays?

And now he's working hard on his bench-pressing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Very sure. It was 1977 and City had lost the league title to Liverpool by one point.

Some people find it easier to separate Stephen Ireland's club performances from his general behaviour and antics with the international team. I don't.

Consequently he has risen to #1 on the "most despised" list ahead of Laurent Charvet, Joey Barton, Christian Negouai, Lee Bradbury, Michael Frontzeck, Adrian Heath, Kenny Clements, Perry Suckling, Nicky Summerbee, George Weah, Mike Walsh, Nigel Clough, Justin Fashanu, Danny Mills, Eike Immel, Bob Taylor...

Unreasonable? Maybe but I'm sticking with it.
    God there's some names there that would give me nightmares (and you never mentioned SamHarris and Corroded)! Been a blue since the early seventies (born and brought up about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road). I certainly don't despise Stevie.We've had far far worse than him masquerading as foootballers in the Sky Blue. He was fantastic for us last season; our player of the season by a distance. Unfortunately, this season he has been disappointing. Possibly due to him having to play a different role under Bobby Manc, which means he can't bomb on as much as he was doing. Pity really, as he was/is a fantastic player. His taste in car decor is a bit iffy though! I've been away from the computer for a couple of days, so I've only just spotted this thread so apologies in advance to mars bar for the late reply to his earlier post, namely;
    mars bar wrote: »
    We gave them Tevez and they can't score without him. It's the least they could do...
    To be accurate, you didn't actually give us Carlos, did you? You never actually "owned" him, you only had him on loan. Therefore, he wasn't actually yours to give. Plus, you did have the first option to buy him, but you felt that 30-odd million on Berbatov was a better move than 25 million was for Carlos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Not the ideal thread I know but Stephen Ireland gives a typical celeb type interview along withn his girlfriend Jess in this Month's OK magazine.

He was asked would he play for Ireland again, he replied "No, I wont go back, ever. I know people might think it's strange, but I was never keen on playing for them in the first place"

On the subject after lying regarding his gran he said "I dont care, to be honest. Obviouslyit wasnt the right way to go but it's done now. I wanted to be with Jess"

From the tone of the interview he seems to be more interested in his fish tank than the Irish national team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He has said all that before, shame people keep asking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

dixiefly wrote: »
    Not the ideal thread I know but Stephen Ireland gives a typical celeb type interview along withn his girlfriend Jess in this Month's OK magazine.

He was asked would he play for Ireland again, he replied "No, I wont go back, ever. I know people might think it's strange, but I was never keen on playing for them in the first place"

On the subject after lying regarding his gran he said "I dont care, to be honest. Obviouslyit wasnt the right way to go but it's done now. I wanted to be with Jess"

From the tone of the interview he seems to be more interested in his fish tank than the Irish national team!

TBH nothing to do with him leaving the club?
    In fairness i wouldn't really care bout the granny thing eiither. He apologised and said he was stupid but his gf had miscarried so obviously he went a bit mad. At the end of the day his decision and right not to play for Ireland and I think everyone has accepted it and moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Have you seen his fish tank?

It's fcuking awesome.

I think, after yesterday, it is pretty obvious why Mancini doesnt rate Ireland.

Hard to see him figuring again this seasn tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What is it? The drinking culture or the weather?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tbh, if I had Stephen Ireland's ability and I saw the likes of Patrick Vieira coming off the bench before me, I wouldn't give a toss either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Delighted for the chap. Can't stand him one bit. Complete waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I personally have nothing but distaste for Ireland, but i do think he's a decent player and he should be ahead of Vieira in City's pecking order (who's painfully past it tbh).

For all those linking him with United though, I wouldn't like to see him there. Number one I don't think he's quite good enough and secondly they've only gotten rid of a guy I didn't enjoy cheering on (Ronaldo), I'd hate them to sign up and equally unlikeable character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ireland has good footballing ability but has he got the where with-all in the brain chamber.

I would not shell out my dough for a player as flakey as Ireland. If you got him on a free and paid him by appearances(easier to get rid of if he went loco also) then maybe, but you would have to get a coroners certificate to collaborate the demise of any of his friends or family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

That growth on his face. Really annoys me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

That growth on his face. Really annoys me

How about "debate the football, not the footballer!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Osu wrote: »
    Delighted for the chap. Can't stand him one bit. Complete waster.

Why is he a 'waster'?

Can you back that up with solid reason or are you just another "But he won't play for his country" hater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Frisbee wrote: »
    Have you seen his fish tank?

It's fcuking awesome.

I'd second that , coolest tank I have ever seen :D

Barr wrote: »
    I'd second that , coolest tank I have ever seen :D
    premiership players and their money. Quite clear his mind not the game ;)
    How about "debate the football, not the footballer!!;)
    Yeah its full of hot air:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I rate him, think he'd fit into most teams.

So what if he's a bit of an árse, most footballers these days are in fairness.

Once he can do the business on the pitch, it's all that matters.

Maybe city will loan him to Liverpool ? :o

I would'nt rely on Stephen Ireland for anything.

Any man that would murder his own Grandmother just cannot be trusted.

blinding wrote: »

Any man that would murder his own Grandmothers just cannot be trusted.

Fyp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I wonder does Ireland feel a little stupid about having a little bitch about Hughes always playing him out of position in the aftermath of Hughes being sacked?

I wonder does Ireland feel a little stupid about having a little bitch about Hughes always playing him out of position in the aftermath of Hughes being sacked?
    Is Stephen Ireland smart enough to work out that he is a little stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would love him at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mr Alan wrote: »

I certainly would not, we have enough sh1te players tbh.....

Fieldog wrote: »
    Have you ever seen him play?:confused:

Same here Al, I think he'd be fantastic for us.

Out of our price range I'd imagine :o

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Same here Al, I think he'd be fantastic for us.

Out of our price range I'd imagine :o
    Who isn't :(

If Ireland could commit to giving us the 100 per cent would definitely sign him. But where would we play him. We have Gerrard, Aqua, Lucas, Masch all covering that role. The other thing being would he take a drop in wages to come to Anfield which Im assuming would be the case given our finances at the moment.

• Advertisement

If Ireland could commit to giving us the 100 per cent would definitely sign him. But where would we play him. We have Gerrard, Aqua, Lucas, Masch all covering that role. The other thing being would he take a drop in wages to come to Anfield which Im assuming would be the case.

We'd fit him in ;)

Swap deal with Gerrard plus £20m (for us of course!) :p

ireland is extremely dedicated at club level. more so than most.

We'd fit him in ;)

That's wat i'd have in mind. They may just be daft enough to take that.

We'd fit him in ;)

Ireland would be ringing in Rafa with silly excuses about his fish dying and all that. No thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would not like to see him at Liverpool tbh, but only because I don't think he would fit into the current setup if Gerrard was still in the CAM/second striker/call it what you like role.

In terms of ability I think Ireland is a good player, but is one that needs a bit of steel around him in order to do what he does best.

I think that playing in a 4-3-3, or 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1 for pedants) suits him as long as he gets the attacking midfielder role. Put him as one of a central pairing in a 4-4-2 and I think his best abilities get smothered.

I do think that on an Irish forum he is going to get a lot of negative comments based on his perceived lifestyle or the whole national team thing.

I think the lifestyle reason is a waste of time, as I imagine that many footballers would have a similar sense of "style" in terms on what they spend their money on, and to be fair many of us here would be as bad if we had the same money.

On the subject of the national team, I think he is wrong, but he has said he is not coming back so it should be left at that and the subject should be allowed to die by denying it the oxygen of inches in paper columns.

What I do like about the lad is the way he pushes himself to be in better condition to most of his squadmates, especially the work he seems to do in the summers.

As for the actual thread topic. I do think he will be leaving City or that he will at least make noises about doing so this summer. If used correctly he is good enough to play for pretty much any team in the top eight in England. Abilitywise he is good enough for a number of teams in Spain, Germany, and Italy, but I don't think he is the type that could settle off the pitch in a non English speaking country. I reckon that language and culture would be two obstacles that he would not overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We'd fit him in ;)

When you put it like that, ok I would have him at Liverpool. :D

Ireland tracked back v badly for Scholes' goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ireland tracked back v badly for Scholes' goal.

true - he is still a young footballer.

He has talent, but he needs to become a smarter player. I think he needs a top manager, and one that will spend the time needed on him.

However, as an AMC player, defending is not going to be his strength, and doesn't need to be - there are many top AMC's that would have done no better than Ireland did. Would Gourcuff have tracked any better? Would Scholes when he was younger? Would Ronaldinho? Would Riquelme? I reckon I could go on. His natural tendencies and ability make him suited (and proficient in) the AMC role of a 451/433, but right now he doesn't have the positioning to be a central midfielder in a 442 against top sides.

Now, that is not to say he shys away from getting stuck in, he gets stuck in as well as any in his role. To play at his best, he needs to be played in the right position, like any player really.

Yes, he should have tracked Scholes, but Barry should have been screaming at him when he switched. It was a mistake,but one he will hopefully learn from and improve because of - he has clearly shown that he has the work ethic and determination to work on his game and himself in order to be the best he can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ireland would be ringing in Rafa with silly excuses about his fish dying and all that. No thanks ;)

false.

as Al said, as dedicated as they come at club level.

his international stuff is an entirely different issue.

i would love him at Liverpool; not a hope of getting him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SlickRic wrote: »
    false.

as Al said, as dedicated as they come at club level.

his international stuff is an entirely different issue.

i would love him at Liverpool; not a hope of getting him though.

This.

Ireland is seriously dedicated at club level. When everyone else goes off on international duty he puts himself through extra training sessions.

When they had holidays last year instead of relaxing he put himself through MMA training for several hours a day to improve his strength and conditioning.

A model pro at Club level and plenty of other players could do with taking a leaf out of his book (again, at club level).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fieldog wrote: »

I've seen many a stupid post in my time, but this is up there with the worst.

Congratulations.

You just showed yourself up with such idiotic comments ;).

I feel sorry for Xavi you must get this all the time, I love the man, but the grief he gets for no reason other than he should want to play for his country while on the same post saying the FAI are scum and muppets. It gets tiring that any thread about him is instantly barraged with "Don't like him cause he is a muppet" when he actually isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why is he a 'waster'?

Can you back that up with solid reason or are you just another "But he won't play for his country" hater?

Glad to be. And I have a funny feeling that if he didnt play for City you would hate on him and all. Even Alan etc saying they would love him to play for their club, I could never roar with delight watching S Ireland score a goal for any team (well, maybe against Utd :) )

Glad to be. And I have a funny feeling that if he didnt play for City you would hate on him and all. Even Alan etc saying they would love him to play for their club, I could never roar with delight watching S Ireland score a goal for any team (well, maybe against Utd :) )

I support Liverpool and don't hate him. I could roar with delight watching him score a goal. You would think he killed someone (Awaits ****ty granny joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

AMC player
    What's AMC?
    Is it not ACM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

syngindub wrote: »
    What's AMC?
    Is it not ACM?

It's AM then, L,R or C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone who has the time to 'hate' Stephen Ireland, has too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

does it matter? Attacking Midfield centre/Attacking Central midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd swap Steven Gerrard for him in a heartbeat. Straight up trade deal, and Liverpool would be getting much the better of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Feel he would turn into another Liam Miller at United but maybe their midfield is not as good now as it was when Miller was trying to break into the team. Think a team like Villa or Everton or maybe a move to Spain. If he moved to Spain he might miss home and come play for Ireland. Fingers crossed we could always do with a great player like him in the fold.

Sorry, but he is a far superior player to Liam Miller. Like most i'm not a fan of him turning his back on his country but that doesn't detract from his ability as a footballer. I think he would shine at Utd and would love to see him there but i can't see City selling him to them under any circumstances.

I'd also welcome him back to the Ireland set up with open arms. Lets face it, we don't have enough quality players to keep grudges.

Advertisement