Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Stephen Ireland on The Way Out of City??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He is a good attacking midfielder but there are question marks about the rest of his game.

Maybe he would be a good fit at a club that have enough quality to afford such an attacking midfielder.

I have worries about the mental side of the guy. Like any player he will be given the opportunity to prove all his doubters wrong if he is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

blinding wrote: »
    He is a good attacking midfielder but there are question marks about the rest of his game.

Maybe he would be a good fit at a club that have enough quality to afford such an attacking midfielder.

I have worries about the mental side of the guy. Like any player he will be given the opportunity to prove all his doubters wrong if he is good enough.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why?

Cos he's overly sensitive about going bald, drives a pink pimped car and has angel wings the full length of his back. He clearly has at least a few issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I would love him at Liverpool to gradually replace Gerrard. Or possibly Ireland + 20m for Gerrard this summer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

astrofool wrote: »
    Cos he's overly sensitive about going bald, drives a pink pimped car and has angel wings the full length of his back. He clearly has at least a few issues.

Fúcking ridiculous post really.

• Advertisement

Or maybe he's just a bit different. So what?

None of that impacts what he does on the pitch, and that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

It's AM then, L,R or C.
    According to who?
    Attacking Midfield Centre sounds very GAA for my liking :)

syngindub wrote: »
    According to who?

Football Manager

And if Football Manager says so then that's how it is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think its quite clear that most clubs, giving the chance would take him.

I would gladly take him at Chelsea. He would fit in pefectly in our midfield of Lampard, Essien, Malouda. I would welcome the move with open arms.

Stephen Ireland is a brilant footballer and will only get better, just because he decided to pull out of contention for us at international level doesnt take away from the fact that he has being exceptional for City since breaking into the 1st team, granted this seson has being different but injuries and a squad of 839 players did not help him.

If Chelsea decided they wanted a good midifeld player I would seriously consider Ireland if City were willing to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Football Manager

And if Football Manager says so then that's how it is tbh.

Ah well then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To be fair, plenty of blokes have issues over going bald, and a young lad would probably be worse in terms of being sensitive on the subject.

As for the Tats on his back? I know people with large tats on their backs and it does not define them as people.

The jeep that had the pink trimmings from a few years back? I doubt if he even owns that anymore. What age was he when that jeep got publicity? 19?20?

He was a young kid with loads of cash, so it was always on the cards that he would spend the money on garish things, pretty much like most kids would if they had the same money.

The way he spends his money and the seemingly immature way he has on some things away from footy are not unique to him though. I am sure a list of examples could be made of footballers with similar traits, and an even longer list of footballers with nastier traits.

Ireland hits the headlines for things like his cars and fish tanks and gets mocked for it. Other footballers can hit the headlines for dogging, assaults, drug usage, and alledged rapes yet it seems that after the intial burst of media interest those things get forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

syngindub wrote: »
    According to who?

Ah......no.

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be fair, plenty of blokes have issues over going bald, and a young lad would probably be worse in terms of being sensitive on the subject.

As for the Tats on his back? I know people with large tats on their backs and it does not define them as people.

The jeep that had the pink trimmings from a few years back? I doubt if he even owns that anymore. What age was he when that jeep got publicity? 19?20?

He was a young kid with loads of cash, so it was always on the cards that he would spend the money on garish things, pretty much like most kids would if they had the same money.

The way he spends his money and the seemingly immature way he has on some things away from footy are not unique to him though. I am sure a list of examples could be made of footballers with similar traits, and an even longer list of footballers with nastier traits.

Ireland hits the headlines for things like his cars and fish tanks and gets mocked for it. Other footballers can hit the headlines for dogging, assaults, drug usage, and alledged rapes yet it seems that after the intial burst of media interest those things get forgotten about.

Great post - would read again.

Why?
    Well look at the way he ducked out of playing for Ireland.

A normal person would have finished that trip and then privately made his feelings known.

Then there was a lot of will he won't he return to playing for Ireland.

It seems he knew that he was not going to return but did not state this categorically to put an end to the issue.

Maybe there are clubs that would take him but I have my doubts if they would pay a big transfer for him. Fortunately for him City (if they decided to let him go) will not demand a big transfer for him.

With the wages and possible transfer fees involved clubs have to be pretty sure about the personality/mental stability of their signings.

I certainly would not be happy if the club that I support paid big money for Stephen Ireland or offered him a long term highly paid contract.

He has the chance to prove us all wrong and it will be interesting to see if has the where with-all to do it.

Well look at the way he ducked out of playing for Ireland.

A normal person would have finished that trip and then privately made his feelings known.

Then there was a lot of will he won't he return to playing for Ireland.

It seems he knew that he was not going to return but did not state this categorically to put an end to the issue.

Maybe there are clubs that would take him but I have my doubts if they would pay a big transfer for him. Fortunately for him City (if they decided to let him go) will not demand a big transfer for him.

With the wages and possible transfer fees involved clubs have to be pretty sure about the personality/mental stability of their signings.

I certainly would not be happy if the club that I support paid big money for Stephen Ireland or offered him a long term highly paid contract.

He has the chance to prove us all wrong and it will be interesting to see if has the where with-all to do it.

You say that he has the chance to prove everybody wrong. On what exactly? It cannot be the way he goes about his business at club level because by all accounts he is a model pro at club level and goes above and beyond during his holiday time to maintain a high level of fitness.

Unless you are saying that the national team incident should be taken over many years of being a model pro at club level by any teams that would be interested in buying him?

You say that he has the chance to prove everybody wrong. On what exactly? It cannot be the way he goes about his business at club level because by all accounts he is a model pro at club level and goes above and beyond during his holiday time to maintain a high level of fitness.

Unless you are saying that the national team incident should be taken over many years of being a model pro at club level by any teams that would be interested in buying him?
    The world cup is the highest level that any player can compete.

Not many players throw the chance of playing at a world cup away and even less rule it out for the entire career.

Does he not have the self belief to take on the challenge.

There are question marks about the lad but he is in a position to prove us all wrong.

These days a lot of managers are former international footballers and it would be interesting to get their private views on a player that turns their back on international football.

The one positive for him is that some club managers may actually prefer a player that won't be involved in international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah very good player.

What about the fact his brothers ipod had naked pictures of him on it? Forget jeeps and baldness, now that is weird.

Not many players throw the chance of playing at a world cup away and even less rule it out for the entire career.

There are question marks about the lad but he is in a position to prove us all wrong.

These days a lot of managers are former international footballers and it would be interesting to get their private views on a player that turns their back on international football.

The one positive for him is that some club managers may actually prefer a player that won't be involved in international football.

He is only 23 now. The National team falling out happened almost three years ago in 2007. How he dealt with it was wrong in my eyes, but I can understand how a kid would mess up with lies at that age, especially as it turned out his girlfriend had actually miscarried.

Also he has a pretty bad experience under Brian Kerr in the youth set up before he made it to the senior squad, with Kerr promising him that he would never play for Ireland for as long as Kerr was involved with the national team. So it is fair to say that the kid, and he is still a kid, would not have any great love for the national team set up. Maybe as he gets older his stance with the national set up will change and he will ask to come back, but all that has no bearing on how he is at club level.

You say that the one positive for him is that some club managers prefer a player with no international ties?

I say the biggest positive for him in terms of enticing another club, beside his obvious talent, is that he has been at Manchester City for nine years, with fives years of that at senior level, and has not one blemish to his name and has been regarded as a model pro for that span of time.

So one immature cock up with the national set up or nine years of being a pro at club level? I think it is pretty obvious which one would be valued most by a club manager interested in buying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The man is plainly bonkers but theres no denying that he is one of MCFCs best players when he is being used in his favoured position. Of course he played particularly well when he broke into the International side and I'm disappointed that he has chosen not to play for the team anymore but I am disappointed in way he tried to get out of it. I'd have much more respect for him if he had told the truth in the first place, either that his girlfriend had lost their baby or that he just didnt want to play anymore.

He may not be setting the world alight with his performances this year but last year he was brilliant, easily Citys best player, and one of the best in the Premier League. Its no coincidence that the arrival of Mancini has resulted in him being half the player that he was last year and it was his arrival on the pitch yesterday that allowed Paul Scholes to move up the field and into a position that helped him to win the game for United.

He would walk into the United side once the Ginger Prince hangs up his boots, no problem. United have been looking for an attacking midfielder since Roy Keane left and he would fill the position nicely. Fletcher does a great job but he's no near the player Ireland is. However theres more chance of Rafa offering Fergie Stevie G and Torres free in a swap for Hargreaves and Berbatov than there is of cITY selling Ireland to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

marwelie wrote: »
    The man is plainly bonkers but theres no denying that he is one of MCFCs best players. I've no problem with him not wanting to play for the International side other than the way he tried to get out of it. I'd have much more respect for him if he had told the truth in the first place, either that his girlfriend had lost their baby or that he just didnt want to play for the team anymore..

He may not be setting the world alight with his performances this year but last year he was brilliant. Its no coincidence that the arrival of Mancini has resulted in him being half the player he was, as he is being played out of position and it was his arrival on the pitch yesterday that allowed Paul Scholes to move up the field and into a position that helped him to win the game for United.

He would walk into the United side once the Ginger Prince hangs up his boots. United have been looking for an attacking midfielder since Roy Keane left and he would fill the position nicely. Fletcher does a great job but he's no near the player Ireland is.

Roy Keane wasn't an attacking midfielder?:confused:

Ireland is undoubtedly talented, but he just seems like trouble to me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Or maybe he's just a bit different. So what?

None of that impacts what he does on the pitch, and that's all that matters.

Oh FFS. Judging by previous posts you hate Roy Keane for both his off and on pitch behaviour, yet S Ireland is the golden boy becuase he plays for city? Anyone who doesnt think he is slightly touched is delusional tbh. And similarly I cant stand nonsense regarding the success of the club they picked out of the air as a kid over the success of the national team. Does my head in.

flahavaj wrote: »

+1

Keano wasnt an attacking midfielder, he was a box to box midfielder that eventually settled as a holding type player.

Ireland is more like Lampard/Gerrard/Fabregas a midifelder whos better going forward then doing a defensive job.

There's also not a f*cking hope in hell City will sell a player to United. It might have been a possibility back in the days when they may have had no choice but to accept a big offer for financial reasons. But now that money is no object, they have no reason whasoever to be doing business with United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

gavredking wrote: »
    +1

Keano wasnt an attacking midfielder, he was a box to box midfielder that eventually settled as a holding type player.

Ireland is more like Lampard/Gerrard/Fabregas a midifelder whos better going forward then doing a defensive job.

How exactly is he better going forward and then doing a defensive job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HoPpiE wrote: »
    How exactly is he better going forward and then doing a defensive job?
    you know who Stephen Ireland is right?

Hes a better at going forward and attacking then he is at defending.

I never said Ireland was good at both.

Take for example Essien, hes a much better defensive type midfielder then Ireland and if you played Essien in the middle he would be better then Ireland at defending and picking up and being aware of opposition attackers.

I think the confusion here lies in the fact that your man said "then" instead of "than".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The man is plainly bonkers but theres no denying that he is one of MCFCs best players when he is being used in his favoured position. Of course he played particularly well when he broke into the International side and I'm disappointed that he has chosen not to play for the team anymore but I am disappointed in way he tried to get out of it. I'd have much more respect for him if he had told the truth in the first place, either that his girlfriend had lost their baby or that he just didnt want to play anymore.

He may not be setting the world alight with his performances this year but last year he was brilliant, easily Citys best player, and one of the best in the Premier League. Its no coincidence that the arrival of Mancini has resulted in him being half the player that he was last year and it was his arrival on the pitch yesterday that allowed Paul Scholes to move up the field and into a position that helped him to win the game for United.

He would walk into the United side once the Ginger Prince hangs up his boots, no problem. United have been looking for an attacking midfielder since Roy Keane left and he would fill the position nicely. Fletcher does a great job but he's no near the player Ireland is. However theres more chance of Rafa offering Fergie Stevie G and Torres free in a swap for Hargreaves and Berbatov than there is of cITY selling Ireland to United.
    Scholes moved forward cause Fergie moved Fletcher back to keep an eye on Ireland. Ireland coming on resulted in a tactical switch, as opposed to 'allowing' Scholes to push forward.

I think the confusion here lies in the fact that your man said "then" instead of "than".

Ah yes, just spotted it myself, my bad.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Fair point. A box to box player is how I would describe an attacking midfielder, its all in the interpretation. Thats why I'm an armchair pundit, I know less about football than you think I do. :D

I still think Ireland would pick any team up by the scruff of the neck and drag them kicking and screaming to victory, which is something Utd are lacking at the moment with the exception of Rooney. And I dont think he's trouble. He can justifiably he described as very very strange, strongly opinionated and definately his own man, but he's far from trouble.

Fair point. A box to box player is how I would describe an attacking midfielder, its all in the interpretation. Thats why I'm an armchair pundit, I know less about football than you think I do. :D

I still think Ireland would pick any team up by the scruff of the neck and drag them kicking and screaming to victory, which is something Utd are lacking at the moment with the exception of Rooney. And I dont think he's trouble. He can justifiably he described as very very strange, strongly opinionated and definately his own man, but he's far from trouble.

I don't mind players having an element of the crazy about them, look at Cantona and Roy Keane for example. Even Paddy Evra is a samall bit touched by all accounts, but in a good way.:pac:

But Ireland, I dunno. he might be good player, but like Ronaldo before him I find him a hard player to get behind.

I don't mind players having an element of the crazy about them, look at Cantona and Roy Keane for example. Even Paddy Evra is a samall bit touched by all accounts, but in a good way.:pac:

But Ireland, I dunno. he might be good player, but like Ronaldo before him I find him a hard player to get behind.

So you are a taker and not a giver then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It's got fcuk all to do with self-belief!!!!!:mad:

The lad felt he was the target of bullying and he baled, which I feel he was justified and right to do. Fair enough he went about it the wrong way but I don't think it's right to question his self belief in himself..

Can't be easy to admit that bullying affected him so much, esp being a bloke!!!!
    From what I gather from male friends, your supposed to take it on the chin...... well, newsflash, that's bollox.....Hanging around for that kinda treatment from your "team-mates" would be definitely damaging to his self belief..

Only my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Doesn't make him a bad prospect for future managers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

to be fair, the champions league is of a much better standard than the world cup these days

People questioning Ireland's dedication at club level is just LOL.

Blatant misinformed ignorance is all it is.

Lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/27022/man-city-boss-roberto-mancini-stephen-ireland-must-change-his-head.html

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has challenged midfielder Stephen Ireland to ‘change his head’ if he wants to regain the form that saw him named City’s Player of the Year in 2008/09.

The 24-year-old playmaker has found his first-team opportunities limited this season following a dip in form and is understood to have met with City’s football administrator Brian Marwood to discuss a summer transfer.

The Irishman is also to believed to have held a final separate talk with his manager before deciding to whether or not to officially hand in a transfer request.

However, Mancini assured Ireland that he does have a future at the club – if he can just get his mindset right;

“I spoke to Stephen two weeks ago but we must speak again soon. I don’t know what he is thinking about his future but, for me, Stephen is a fantastic player and if he can change his head I think he can start to play like that [2008/09] again.”

Ireland is one of many players who are thought to be facing the axe at Eastlands this summer along with Robinho, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Martin Petrov and Shaun Wright-Phillips to name but a few.

dixiefly wrote: »
    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/27022/man-city-boss-roberto-mancini-stephen-ireland-must-change-his-head.html

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has challenged midfielder Stephen Ireland to ‘change his head’ if he wants to regain the form that saw him named City’s Player of the Year in 2008/09.

The 24-year-old playmaker has found his first-team opportunities limited this season following a dip in form and is understood to have met with City’s football administrator Brian Marwood to discuss a summer transfer.

The Irishman is also to believed to have held a final separate talk with his manager before deciding to whether or not to officially hand in a transfer request.

However, Mancini assured Ireland that he does have a future at the club – if he can just get his mindset right;

“I spoke to Stephen two weeks ago but we must speak again soon. I don’t know what he is thinking about his future but, for me, Stephen is a fantastic player and if he can change his head I think he can start to play like that [2008/09] again.”

Ireland is one of many players who are thought to be facing the axe at Eastlands this summer along with Robinho, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz, Martin Petrov and Shaun Wright-Phillips to name but a few.

On the day headshops are closed down too.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

keane2097 wrote: »
    People questioning Ireland's dedication at club level is just LOL.

Blatant misinformed ignorance is all it is.

Lame.
    People making any comment on his commitment whether its that its good or bad is just LOL unless they are part of the City squad/management.

You don't know anything more than the guy thats questioning his dedication. So your opinion on this subject is uninformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Don't mind that Mancini fella Stephen, get you down to the Villa.

Gotta love an article that gets his age wrong.

Hopefully he has a full preseason and is over those injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Gotta love an article that gets his age wrong.

Hopefully he has a full preseason and is over those injuries.

Well spotted there Xavi, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Would Love Him To Come Liverpool Think Would Be A Good Signing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has challenged midfielder Stephen Ireland to ‘change his head’ if he wants to regain the form

jaysus, he had a hair transplant, then shaved his head completely. What does Mancini want? Dreads??

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Also he has a pretty bad experience under Brian Kerr in the youth set up before he made it to the senior squad, with Kerr promising him that he would never play for Ireland for as long as Kerr was involved with the national team. So it is fair to say that the kid, and he is still a kid, would not have any great love for the national team set up.

Kess I think you have your facts wrong here.

The lad walked out of the ground in Cork because he had told all his friends that he was going to be starting for the Underage team, and didn't.
    It was Ireland who said he wouldn't play again under Kerr, not the other way around.

Did the fella do too much over the summer perhaps? I understand that he needs to improve his strength, and that was the purpose of the extra training, but you need a summer break as well. Given all the work that he did last year he shouldn't need as much this year surely? I would think his form will improve.

I don't like the mofo, but you can't knock his dedication at club level. Karma is a cnut though, he shouldn't have shot his mouth off about Hughes once he was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

the fact that he is snubbing the national team is now biting him on the ass. He is now getting no opportunity to prove his worth.

Although he is talented, skillful and creative so trap probably would not pick him.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Kess I think you have your facts wrong here.

The lad walked out of the ground in Cork because he had told all his friends that he was going to be starting for the Underage team, and didn't.
    It was Ireland who said he wouldn't play again under Kerr, not the other way around.

Maybe I am wrong, but Kerr has never denied the comments Ireland made in the interview he gave RTE.

Maybe I am wrong, but Kerr has never denied the comments Ireland made in the interview he gave RTE.

He never denied comments Dunne made about him either in fairness. I do have a hard on for Kerr though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Kingdom wrote: »
    He never denied comments Dunne made about him either in fairness. I do have a hard on for Kerr though :D

What did Dunne say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

FatherTed wrote: »
    What did Dunne say?

+1

?

• Advertisement
Advertisement