Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOSS

Options
  • 02-03-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a small front garden that dose not get a lot of sun, I have always had a problem with moss in it and last year I treated it and raked & raked and took out a lot of moss, However since the cold weather has passed I have noticed that the moss seems to have taken over. what would you recommend that I do now, How can I get rid of it for good. Any suggestions would be appericated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I sympathise, I have exactly the same problem. Front faces North East and over the years I've tried all the weed and feed products, raked the life out of it (and me), put Sulphate of Iron on and spiked it regularly. A few years ago took the drastic measure of having it rotavated and reseeded professionally and guess what, the moss is thriving again. Mind you it feel like plush carpeting with the most expensive underlay to walk on but looks awful. I'm thinking of removing the grass and putting hard landscaping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

You will always have moss because of the shade and moisture. You can control it but this requires regular treatment and raking on an almost daily basis. Is this feasible?

Would you consider allowing the moss to grow and let it suppress weeds and provide greenery all year round without any work? Japanese gardens celebrate moss and use it to great effect. If you can't grow grass because of aspect, you need to consider growing shade loving plants or moss. You could encourage a wonderful woodland garden with lots of viburnums, and drifts of Hellebores, aconites, hostas and ferns...

Advertisement